Running advice needed (for a novice)

Options
So, i have a chronic back problem (L4-L5 stenosis or narrowing of the disc spaces between L4 and 5) but am now walking at LEAST 5 miles a day and on good days more like 8/9 miles. I've joined a gym and do cycling and treadmill as well as upper body strength training. I want TO RUN desperately and with all my heart but I have no idea where to start or how to start or what I should be doing to even try. I have back pain whatever I do so that isn't a problem I just don't know how to build up from a fast walk to a run.
Can anyone help ?
Thanks All
H

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Try a couch to 5k program. You can find smart phone apps for it or instructions on the web. I think it is probably the easiest and safest way to start running.

I have Zombies,Run! 5k training on my phone and the first 3 workouts look like this:

10 min Walking
    1 min walk
    15 sec slow run
    Repeat 1 min walk and 15 second run 10 times
    10 min free walk/run
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am also a running novice and have just started to try to run. I am lucky there is a full sized track across the street from my house so I have been doing that. What I have been doing is alternating walking/running. What I do is start out walking and then I set up the stopwatch on my phone and hit start when I start running and then I stop running when I feel like I can't run anymore and transition back into a fast walk. Right now I'm trying to run a total of 5 minutes (broken up) within my 30 minute walk routine. It takes time and I hope it gets easier the more I do it. I am no expert, it's just what I do! I've also heard of others having success with the C25k (couch to 5k) program.. you can find it online... hope this helps!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First things first; get good running shoes. Especially if you have something like a chronic back problem, you need the right running shoes to give the support. Yes, it's an investment, but it will help you along in the long term. And get the shoes from a store, where they film you running and find something you can try out, and where they take the time.

Then, for your question: how to start? Start slowly, and build it up. I had great success on a schedule with different mp3s with different intervals (e.g. slow run, faster run, walk) because it is so easy - just put the training on and go. But you have things like couch to 5 k (c25k) for free I think, and you could use the schedule that it gives you. And take your time building it up - your lung condition improves much faster than your body adjusts the muscles for running, so in the beginning it is easy to feel like you could go further, only to injure yourself.

Lastly, and most importantly, do what feels right!! And have fun!! Running is a great way to get your exercise in :) I am sure you will be super proud of your accomplishments!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    C25k programmes are a good start and I'm another who is doing the Zombie 5k training.

However the most important thing is to get your running shoes. Go along to your nearest running store where the will assess your gait and see how you run. Shoes are the most important bit of kit and getting the wrong ones can cause some serious problems especially if you already have back problems.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    An interesting spin might be to consider a pool if you have access to one. You can actually run laps in a pool and it may be a gentler way of getting your back into the groove and additional pounding that it is going to take with the running while strengthening the rest of the muscles. The stronger the running muscles are when you start perhaps the less impact your back will feel once you get on the road. I also sit on an exercise ball at work which strengthens my core considerably which has helped to alleviate my back pains. They are not the same that you are experiencing, but it is a different approach for you to consider. Good luck.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When starting to run I got told the best thing you can do is run a lamp post, walk a lamp post, run one, walk one etc. it helps build up your endurance. I was told this by my mother who started doing this back in the 80's when she was overweight and unfit. She went on to run marathons. My personal trainer/running coach also agrees with this. Hope that helps!
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I could run miles but now after 3kids and bulging disc L4 L5 when I run I feel nerve pinching on my sciatic disc after my runs. It is painful and hard for me to shift sides when lying down. I myself have come to the point the pain is unbearable and I am now biking. Biking replaces the urge of running for me and the pool run sounds theraputic to me. I think I will try that. Listen to your body and go from there. Good luck and good health.
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    dont do cardio u wont get jacked
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Galloway Run/Walk/Run technique. You alternate running and walking for short intervals. You can get an app for your smart phone where it walks you thru couch to your first 5k. It's an 8 week program that works great. I started with it back on 4/30/12 and weighed 306lbs. When I finished I moved onto the 10k and then the half app. The apps kept me injury free and helped me go from morbidly obese to a sub 2:00 half marathon finish weighing 115 pounds less in under 8 months.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    as others have said, look into walk/run programs. even if you just read through a few different ones and then come up with your own solution...
    just don't overdo it....

on a side note, you might want to work on your 'core' muscles to help support that back.
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k was my gateway into caring about fitness. I worked up to running a half marathon after doing it amd then a year after that a full marathon.