Ladies only :-)

Options
Hello ladies. I am new to the boards, not to the site. I was curious if any of you found you gain 5-8 (or more) pounds in the days before starting your period. If so, how do you deal with the numbers on the scale? Also how do you deal with PMS Cravings?? Seeing a 2 pound gain this week is really discouraging after starting running 3 weeks ago!! Again, probably damn hormones taking ????

Replies

• minihorselover
    minihorselover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every month.
    I see a 2-5 pound change about 1-3 day before hand.
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my period I tend to gain weight also. Since I know it comes off if I keep working at it, I try to not get discouraged. I don't weigh myself for a week or so and make sure to not overeat even if I'm having cravings.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself around my TOM because I know that I'll just get upset, even though I know it's water weight. I can see it in my reflection to know the gain is there.

I try hard to eat every 2-3 hours to minimise the cravings. Usually helps
  • 4pawsmom
    4pawsmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat pre-period weight if I know I'm doing the work and eating properly. The weight will disappear when my period is over.

As to PMS cravings, I have found that a chocolate protein powder, banana, almond butter and almond milk smoothie/shake does wonders for taking the edge off of sugar/chocolate cravings.
  • AmiAlcocer
    AmiAlcocer Posts: 18
    Options
    I expect it so it doesn't throw me for a loop.

I gain 2lbs right before AF arrives. I also gain 2ish lbs right when I ovulate. I know this because I'm a daily weigher, and suddenly, mid-cycle, for a couple days, I will be up a couple pounds & then they disappear. :)

If it's true water weight, after AF is done it drops off fast. If not, then it's not true water weight. I've also found that drinking a LOT of water (I normally drink 3-4L or 12-16 c of water a day) helps mitigate this bloat. I don't run to the bathroom that much more frequently, and I guess my body is overwhelmed by that much water so lets go of it easier. lol!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Woops. Wrong thread. Sorry. :embarassed:
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I hate not weighing, but I hate the gain. LOL!! I will try eating every few hours and see if that helps. :-)
  • queenstl
    queenstl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are going to gain weight with your cycle do to water weight, but you have to continue to work out, that weight will come back off. Unfortonately, that is one of the down falls of being a woman. Our bodies are made for child birth. Don't get discouraged, just keep working out. And the cravings, well, don't deprive yourself with that either. As long as you workout, it's okay to have those days that we don't always chose the best options. If you always go without the things you love, it will cause you to really have a down fall and mess up more. Nobody is perfect, we are human , and all things should be done in moderation.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Sabotage!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

A man?! LADIES, GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS!
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hello ladies. I am new to the boards, not to the site. I was curious if any of you found you gain 5-8 (or more) pounds in the days before starting your period. If so, how do you deal with the numbers on the scale? Also how do you deal with PMS Cravings?? Seeing a 2 pound gain this week is really discouraging after starting running 3 weeks ago!! Again, probably damn hormones taking ????

*Eating 5-6 small meals per day rather than 3 normal meals helps chill out hunger. (also boosts your metabolism so that's a bonus)
    *Drink a lot of water. Like, you feel like there's more water than blood in your system? Drink two more gallons
    *Get like protein shakes or protein rich foods because it'll help fill you up for longer:)

This is what I do. Not necessarily just for when AF visits but when I need to get over a plateau or something:)
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've just realized that I must struggle with this too. I have an IUD, and don't get a period anymore, so I'm clueless about when 'that time of the month' really is. I just get uber ticked at the scale. Blah!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I only weigh on Wednesdays. I found that I wasn't really losing a lot of weight and I became discouraged. I had a friend share a measurement tracker and I began doing that on Wednesdays as well. I'm sure I gain weight when its that time, however I'm now more focused on my inches lost. I've been tracking for 45 days and have lost 35.5 cumulative inches... only 6.6 pounds. .. The cravings are rough. . Sometimes I am strong enough and sometimes I better have chocolate or someone is getting hurt:ohwell:
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Oh yeah! I always see about 4 or 5 pounds more on there right before aunt flo comes to visit. It's discouraging until I realize what's happening.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I usually one have a gain of 2-3 lbs but I get SO TIRED. I get the normal cravings, but I usually just cave in and then do my normal workout. If I go over it's usually by 50 cal or so, which isn't a big deal to me. I think the hardest part for me is working out. If you know when you're period's going to happen, then you can more properly prepare for all the bad crap that goes along with it. I think it's about expecting it. For some reason, it makes it easier to deal with.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I usually one have a gain of 2-3 lbs but I get SO TIRED. I get the normal cravings, but I usually just cave in and then do my normal workout. If I go over it's usually by 50 cal or so, which isn't a big deal to me. I think the hardest part for me is working out. If you know when you're period's going to happen, then you can more properly prepare for all the bad crap that goes along with it. I think it's about expecting it. For some reason, it makes it easier to deal with.

Yep!! I am so tired and cranky and the last thing I want to do is exercise!!!! Even though I know logically that exercise helps it all! lol I, too, like to eat ALOT. Being on Atkins, it makes life horrible for me, so I buy sf chocolate then have cravings for a week after. It's just a vicious cycle. Thanks ladies!!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    YUP! I see a gain and honestly, give myself TWO IDGAF days during/before my period where I still track but I don't care if I go over my cals.. If I don't give into my cravings, I'm WAY more moody. I just go with it and try to drink more water.
    Hydrations= WAY less cramping= happier me :)
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I only weigh on Wednesdays. I found that I wasn't really losing a lot of weight and I became discouraged. I had a friend share a measurement tracker and I began doing that on Wednesdays as well. I'm sure I gain weight when its that time, however I'm now more focused on my inches lost. I've been tracking for 45 days and have lost 35.5 cumulative inches... only 6.6 pounds. .. The cravings are rough. . Sometimes I am strong enough and sometimes I better have chocolate or someone is getting hurt:ohwell:

Whats a measurement tracker?? VERY interested in this!
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm explains alot.. i had lost 3lb half way through the week but on my weekly weigh in i hadnt lost anything, hadnt gained either but i was wondering if it was the night out i had last weekend and ive been absolutely starving this week finding it really hard to keep to my diet .. i can smell chocolate when someone walks in the room with some haha :P
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gain about 5 lbs. Though it isn't 'real' weight.
    As for cravings. I just let them fly. If I want it, I eat it. Period week is like my free week. Amazingly though, I usually don't gain from it.
    I'm under a lot of stress as is, and fighting cravings just isn't worth it to me. Though I do tend to nit pick my cravings apart to figure out what I'm lacking. Which for me generally ends up being calcium, sugar or salt.
    Though I'm usually ALWAYS craving sugar and salt.