I've killed my knees

Options
I was doing the 30DS and all was going well until up a few days ago. Should I push through the pain or just stop and continue with my walking and some other exercise (but then what would I do?). I'm bummed because I was starting to see awesome results. :frown:
I'm kinda new to this whole workout thing (couple of years) after spending years sitting on my @$$ and drinking large amounts of alcohol every other night.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you taking rest days? Have you had knee issues before?

Rest days are very important, so if you have been skipping those, start there and take a couple of days off and see if the knees are better. There's a difference between sore muscles and pain from injury.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any knee issues before. I did Day 11 yesterday and had only taken 2 rest days. I did jump right into it I suppose. Maybe I'll try it again next month and take it easier and rest every 4th day or so.
    I'm assuming I should just keep up with the walking (I was jogging a little bit too) and throw in some pushups and situps.
  • QueenE_
    Options
    Thank you for your response. :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with 30DS too, also after not really doing anything but walking for years! I was so sore after the first day I could barely walk, and took three days off before getting back to it. :tongue: There's a lot of stuff in there we haven't ever done, or haven't done in a LONG time, so it can be a shock to the system.

When I did it, I averaged probably 4-5 days a week most of the time, and it took me longer than 30 days to get through it. But I saw results, and really liked how quickly I improved my flexibility, stamina and strength.

But listen to you body, take rest days when you need them, at least one a week, and modify the moves if you need to if knees or anything else is getting cranky. I started with 3lb dumbbells back then, and now I do other workouts at home (with the Nike Training Club app - good stuff in there if you want some variety), and I use 8-20 lb dumbbells. :smile:
  • QueenE_
    Options
    Thanks!
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    30DS was super hard on my knees and ankles. I know the results are great because my sister-in-law and Dad have had a lot of success with it. Every time I did it, I was in pain. Not the "Oh, I need to fight through this" kind of pain either. I know that pain. I'm fine with that kind of pain, but this wasn't it. So I stopped doing it and likely won't start back. There are plenty of other kinds of exercise in the world and I'm still losing weight doing it my way.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Maybe concentrate on the jogging first? I started jogging 2 months ago and I'm seeing amazing results in fitness and strength of my legs including my knees. Might help to get the muscles that stabilize you knees up an running before you do the 30DS.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using proper form on the lunges and landing lightly on the plyo moves. If your knees are swelling a lot see an orthopedist. 30DS did a # on my knees but I'm old and work on my feet all day
  • QueenE_
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm never touching her DVD again, along the Dr on Monday and once I'm healed sucking it up and getting a gym membership. I thought I could do this on my own but apparently not. My knees are still killing me and the only exercise I've been doing is walking. Whichhhhh doesn't exactly help.
    I feel so dumb.
  • Raspberrynezzie
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Please, please , please be careful of your knees! If it hurts try not to do it! I have messed up my right knee permanently! I am pushing it by 5k running with a knee brace as it is. If I injure my knee again, that's it. My orthopedic surgeon has warned me time and time again not to go on when it hurts. I wrote some of it off as maybe heel striking but I have torn my ACL too many times and my patella doesn't know where it belongs half of the time. :/
    You are not dumb for trying something for yourself!! It is the best/most admirable thing! Just be careful! You are the only you there ever will be!

((sorry if that was mad cheesy/not very helpful!))
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm never touching her DVD again, along the Dr on Monday and once I'm healed sucking it up and getting a gym membership. I thought I could do this on my own but apparently not. My knees are still killing me and the only exercise I've been doing is walking. Whichhhhh doesn't exactly help.
    I feel so dumb.

30 Day Shred KILLED one of my knees. I was so pissed off...never have I had a joint problem until that woman entered my life. I haven't touched that DVD since. It was suggested that maybe it was my form during all the squatting and lunging, but after I recovered I started doing squats and lunges again with much heavier weights and I haven't had one problem.
  • QueenE_
    Options
    I won't be picking it up again after this lol, I've stopped. I don't have any swelling or anything and my husband is in the army and he watched me do the exercises a few times and since he gets to do pt everyday I asked him if I was doing it correctly. I was even doing squats beforehand for months with no issues.