Slimming World, yeay or nay?

Options
Hi, I have been thinking about joining slimming world as I think a little structure will help me move forward with my journey. I need advice, has anyone been successful using slimming world or has anyone found it unhelpful? any advice appreciated!
thanks

Replies

• cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tried SW in January when friend in the UK told me about it. It was ok at first, but I didn't really lose any weight on it. All of the free foods made me uncomfortable...they're ok with potatoes and pastas and all kinds of things that I normally wouldn't eat much of when I'm trying to lose. If you do decide to do it, make sure you also keep track of your calories and portion control...that's the most important thing. I don't know if you're in the US or the UK or somewhere else, but I hear that the plan is better in the UK. It's fairly new on this side of the pond, and I think they are still trying to work out the kinks, because I think we measure calories differently or something.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I tried SW in January when friend in the UK told me about it. It was ok at first, but I didn't really lose any weight on it. All of the free foods made me uncomfortable...they're ok with potatoes and pastas and all kinds of things that I normally wouldn't eat much of when I'm trying to lose. If you do decide to do it, make sure you also keep track of your calories and portion control...that's the most important thing. I don't know if you're in the US or the UK or somewhere else, but I hear that the plan is better in the UK. It's fairly new on this side of the pond, and I think they are still trying to work out the kinks, because I think we measure calories differently or something.

It would not be useful to her if she calorie counted at the same time.

I have done slimming world and have lost weight with it but I couldn't stick to the plan. I prefer calories as there is scope to have a any kind of food.

If you do do it then I suggest you follow what they tell you and not take the advise of people on here by counting cals at the same time.
  • cristynfaye
    Options
    I just mean that you still have to make sure you have a calorie deficit each day in order to lose weight, regardless of the program.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I just mean that you still have to make sure you have a calorie deficit each day in order to lose weight, regardless of the program.

The whole point of SW though is no calorie counting. It would be counterproductive.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    sw. did it. got fatter. gave up. mfp. did it. lost weight. still doing it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, but any plan that gives you permission to eat as much pasta and rice as you want without regulating calories or portion sizes seems like a bad bet. I don't see how tracking calories in a situation where you're trying to lose weight is counterproductive...

What issues are you having with following MFP's structure?
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, but any plan that gives you permission to eat as much pasta and rice as you want without regulating calories or portion sizes seems like a bad bet. I don't see how tracking calories in a situation where you're trying to lose weight is counterproductive...

I've lost my focus, I felt really motivated until about April. I was ill for about 10 days at the beginning of April so didn't exercise and ate what I could stomach then I went on holiday, when I came home I had quite a few pieces of bad news regarding my family and I've only started feeling more "normal" this week. I need a kick start to get me back on track... I love MFP and have never been able to stick to a weight club before but I don't really know what else to do!
  • cristynfaye
    Options
    The idea of SW is you have superfree foods (loads of veggies and fruits), and free foods (which include pasta, potatoes, meat, grains, etc) and then all the rest, dairy and stuff like that. You're supposed to limit your portion sizes by looking at your plate and making sure like half of it is superfree foods. Something like that. They discourage calorie counting, so her point about calorie counting being counter productive to the program was probably because of that. But I found the program itself to be counterproductive to weight loss in general, specifically because I found it hard to have a calorie deficit when I was on it. But it works for some people...a friend of mine had lost like 50lbs on it. I just didn't particularly like the program because of all the leniency.
  • cristynfaye
    Options

I've lost my focus, I felt really motivated until about April. I was ill for about 10 days at the beginning of April so didn't exercise and ate what I could stomach then I went on holiday, when I came home I had quite a few pieces of bad news regarding my family and I've only started feeling more "normal" this week. I need a kick start to get me back on track... I love MFP and have never been able to stick to a weight club before but I don't really know what else to do!

I totally get that feeling of being in a rut and not being motivated. I just joined MFP the other day, because I've been working out (insanity workouts) and eating healthy for over a month, with absolutely no results. While I don't suggest Slimming World, I think there are plenty of healthy diet formulas out there that might be able to help give you a jump start back into things.
  • LynneM150
    Options
    I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I genuinely need some inspiration!! :smile:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've done it more than once and it was successful in that I lost some weight, but I really didn't like it. I don't think I could stick with it long-term.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

This is just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it, but any time I've gone through a patch like you're talking about, I'll give myself structure. I'll do my own version of the Mediterranean diet, in part because I like the food, in part because my body responds well to it, and in part because recipes are readily available. I've got a database of recipes saved that I've entered into MFP, so I can just pre-log everything and know I'll hit my calories and macros. I focus on lean meat, fish, and shrimp for protein, pair it with huge servings of vegetables, and primarily use brown rice or grains for additional carbs. I cook with olive oil and have nuts and fruit for snacks. Shopping is easy because I'm already stocked on olive oil and the spices I'll use. After 2 or 3 weeks of that, I'm back on track, seeing results, and ready to branch out to other (healthy!) food types... And I don't have to pay for it or worry about if it will work.

I understand you're just looking for something to get you going again, but I don't really advocate any plan that doesn't teach you skills you can use for life. Figuring it out yourself will be so much more useful to you in the end. If you'd like a little help, let me know :smile:
  • Lambchoplollypop
    Options
    I tried Slimming World a couple of years ago and lost a couple of stone, but as soon I as moved away from the UK for a year and stopped the plan, I put it all back on.

I came to the conclusion that:

Pros:
    -Encourages cooking meals from scratch - they have some really nice recipes which make everyday favourites like curries, burgers etc. lighter. I haven't touched jarred sauces since and use packets / freshly bought ones sparingly.

-Encourages you to 'eat what you want' within reason

-Nearly all fruits and veggies are 'Super Free /Free' and this encourages members to eat tons of salads, veggies and fruits

-The two groups I went to were full of lovely people :)

Cons:
    - Some members - not all - try to substitute just about anything: Many use fry light and sweeteners (Free foods) instead of synning oils and sugars, but I've heard of some elaborate recipes, simply in order to eat something 'Free'.

(For example: on Green and EE days, potatoes are free. So some people like to make scones out of Smash instant potatoes...and you can eat as many as you like - technically! Whereas calorie counting means you can log a nice proper homemade or bought scone within your calorie limit and not faff about making something out of nothing!)

I must also stress that some members follow SW successfully, whilst eating cleaningly and not everyone enjoys substitutions like this!

-Healthy fats get forgotten - SW is a very low fat plan...meat is free on Red and EE days as long as it's lean. Fair enough. However your nuts and avacados and olive oil are 'synned', sometimes quite highly and you have 10-15 syns a day usually. Whilst this helps you control the portion, I think this can demonise good fats and many would rather save their syns for chocolate than a handful of nuts anyway (I know I used to!)

- Doesn't let you 'eat back' exercise cals - the plan works without exercise and they do encourage and reward exercise but there are no extra syns allowed.

- Doesn't exactly teach portion control: on Red days, it's as much lean meat as you like, restricting carbs, Green - as much potato, pasta or rice as you like, restricting proteins, and on EE days you can have as much of both as you like but have one less A (portioned milk, cheese etc). choice and one less B choice (portioned fibre like bread or cereal). I must also stress that SW says you MUST have at least a third superfree with each meal (loads of fruit and veg basically) on EE days where you can eat as much protein and carbs as you like and encourages the same for Red and Green days. LOTS of members slip up on this. It's not enough just to have platefuls of chicken and pasta; there must be a third of veggies or salad on the plate too.

Plus certain foods like eggs and some yoghurts (Mullerlights) are Free. This doesn't meant the plan will work if you eat 5 of each a day! Another pitfall!

-Can also be difficult to eat out or have a take away treat: rather than assessing the nutritional info and making a calorie based decision, you try to assess the syns in a dish, having no idea if the chef has used lots of oils and other 'hidden syns'. Most restaurant or take away meals will skyrocket passed '15' syns. And SW does encourage 'flexible' days if you have an occasion or go on holiday, but it can be a slippery slope.

All that being said,those 'cons' can be avoided and my mother loves it! She has lost around 7 stone on the plan. It suits her really well as she enjoys masses of salads and meat and doesn't really have a sweet tooth. She uses syns for salad cream and pastry mainly! But when she goes off plan, it also starts to creep on. It is a lifestyle change but I personally find it too restrictive and unsustainable.

Calorie counting alongside SW doesn't really work well. Logging masses of 'Free' food, might panic you, even if you're following SW correctly. Choose one or the other! :)
  • cristynfaye
    Options

This is just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it, but any time I've gone through a patch like you're talking about, I'll give myself structure. I'll do my own version of the Mediterranean diet, in part because I like the food, in part because my body responds well to it, and in part because recipes are readily available. I've got a database of recipes saved that I've entered into MFP, so I can just pre-log everything and know I'll hit my calories and macros. I focus on lean meat, fish, and shrimp for protein, pair it with huge servings of vegetables, and primarily use brown rice or grains for additional carbs. I cook with olive oil and have nuts and fruit for snacks. Shopping is easy because I'm already stocked on olive oil and the spices I'll use. After 2 or 3 weeks of that, I'm back on track, seeing results, and ready to branch out to other (healthy!) food types... And I don't have to pay for it or worry about if it will work.

I understand you're just looking for something to get you going again, but I don't really advocate any plan that doesn't teach you skills you can use for life. Figuring it out yourself will be so much more useful to you in the end. If you'd like a little help, let me know :smile:

I second this. A Mediterranean style diet is one of the healthiest diets you can have (plus it's my favourite kind of food!). Olive oil, lots of spices, goat cheese in moderation, cous cous, whole grains, lean meats, veggies, yogurt. You can't go wrong.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World years ago and put on weight with the 'free' food, and didn't really eat that much! It just didn't work for me!

Why don't you eat at only 100 or 200 calories under maintenance to ease yourself back in? This will give you some time to formulate a plan. Find some interesting new recipes you like the sound of. Think about a new class or type of exercise you fancy trying?

I understand trying to find the motivation if you are going through bad times. I am having a serious health problem being investigated currently and it can distract you from the plan. All I keep reminding myself is 'nothing is going to be better if you put any weight back on' and do the best I can.

Hope you find some inspiration too! :flowerforyou:
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few who do it, and they refuse to do exercise so when they get to the 'weight' they want, they give up cause they arent the shape they want to be so end up gaining their weight again, it usually ranges a few stone.

The punnets and punnets of fruit they appear to be eating cause they are 'free' are a bit silly, with large portions of pasta.

They give points to a teaspoon/tablespoon or tomato paste but allow pasta to be free and mullerlight (sorry its bogging, seriously), i just didnt get it.
  • LynneM150
    Options
    thankyou everyone for your advice. In particular lambchoplolly for all the slimming world information and Crystalflame for the ideas on the Mediterranean diet. I love med foods. Also a good idea about upping my calorie goal too. Its better that i focus on better eating first rather than massive weight loss. Thats exactly how i started this journey so thankyou for reminding me of that!
    Ok. I think the outcome is slimming world is out and MFP along with some sensible eating is in. I feel better already. Thanks everyone for the pep talk, i really needed it! x ;D
  • Lambchoplollypop
    Options
    You're welcome! And good luck! If you want to add me for some extra motivation and support, I log in everyday (though it's a bit hazy whilst I'm doing exams). Feel free! :)
  • jenhaigh1
    jenhaigh1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 3st 4.5lbs on SW since 19 December 2012. 25 lbs ago I found MFP. Now I combine the two and have a steady weight loss of 1.5 per week since 19 December. Wonderful. If I do go over my allowance of calories it is on Superfree or Free food. Combining the two works for me x
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    My sister in law is losing weight on SW and raves about it. But to be fair, (I'm sure she wouldn't mind me saying) she did have a lot to lose. In my opinion, it is a good mid-way-point for people without much diet or healthy eating experience to eat better than they were eating, and lose weight. But if you have been dieting (and losing by the looks of it) it might be too lenient for you and you might find that you gain on account of the "free" pasta etc.

Doctors here (UK) recommend I to over weight people as a way of training them to eat healthily and get more fruit and veggies etc. in to the diet and move away from processed and junk food. Which it is good for. But in my humble opinion, there are a lot of people who it wouldn't be right for. And doctors are still banging on about BMI being king so what do they know?!