Running faster

Options
I want to run faster - any tips on how? I have been running a while now - never fast. I want to change that :-P Any runners out there who can shed some magic on how to start upping the pace?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Interval training is a sure-fire way to increase your overall speed. Swap out on of your regular runs each week for speed work. I started doing sprints at the track and in three months took ten minutes off my 10km time (65 minutes down to 55). I continued to get faster after that but the gains were much slower (much like losing weight).
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I want to run faster - any tips on how? I have been running a while now - never fast. I want to change that :-P Any runners out there who can shed some magic on how to start upping the pace?

Interval training or fartlek (fartlek being you run for say three miles, 400m being a jog, 400m being a fast pace, 400m being a slow job etc etc). It gets you out of that plodding mode that continuous jogging can cause.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

You didn't mention how long and how frequently and how far you're running.

It surprises many people to know that running slow is the best way to build your aerobic base and run injury free.

One of the first steps in running faster is running slowly but for longer distances / times. Once you have a solid aerobic base you can improve speed with thinks like fartleks, hills, track work (intervals) etc. Here are a couple of articles from Runners World that you may find helpful.

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/5-key-speed-workouts-every-new-runner-should-do?page=single

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/get-fast-for-fall-races-with-summer-speedwork

Don't forget to cross train too!

Have fun!
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running long - 10weeks but interval training has helped me get faster.

On the treadmill I'm up from 6.5 8.5 km/h intervals to 7.2/9 and now 7.2/10. 2min slow/3min fast.

When outside I noticed when run uphill for a stretch (5-6km/h) and it then gets flat, I can easily do 9-10km/h. I started out with 6.5 in flat terrain and walking uphill.

So it seems the different types of intervals are making me faster quickly. I push myself during the intervalls, but only as far as i can to still feel comfy ( puls 155-160, i tend to fall over at 165). I'm also seeing my plus sinking at the same speed. So what I'm doing can't be so wrong.

Have fun!