I tried Stevia-- it was disgusting. Does brand matter?

Options
I bought some In the Raw Stevia. I'm not controlling my sugar really, but trying to get myself out of the fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts, and I'm hoping to get my fiance onto something like sweetened cold brewed tea, instead of the gallons of juice he drinks now.

But... it was disgusting. Very sweet, yes, but something off about it. And an awful bitter aftertaste. I'm not motivated enough to just choke it down, and he definitely won't drink it. Are some brands better than others? Is that just the reality of alternative sweeteners, and I have to come to terms with it?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Some people have the unfortunate genetic ability to taste the disgusting bitter aftertaste of Stevia. It sounds like you are one of them. I am too. I can't stomach it at all, it doesn't matter what brand. it's positively vile to me. Splenda is OK but I don't like it for other reasons. Mostly I stick to regular white sugar and have just dramatically (albeit slowly) reduced amounts I put in stuff.
  • jaws052392
    jaws052392 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did not like it either...been trying most of the artificial sweeteners and the only ones I could stand is Equal and Splenda. Hubby does not like them at all...he's a white sugar person. We did finally agree on Splenda Blend. It's 1/2 sugar and
    1/2 Splenda. It's pretty sweet so a little is all you need. You can use in recipes too, and only requires half of what the recipe calls for. I believe its 10 calories for 1 tsp. Love it.
  • jaws052392
    jaws052392 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ooops posted twice...sorry
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know which kind you tried, liquid or powder, but to me I have to have the powdered version for yogurt, the liquid leaves a bitter aftertaste. I prefer the liquid version in my tea, tastes fine (to me at least) and its easier to stir. But my husband can't stand any kind of artificial sweetener, so I understand where you're coming from.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I bought some Truvia granules (pretty much the same stuff) and it does have a very odd aftertaste, I've used it a few times but I'm really not keen on it so it's just sat in the cupboard waiting for my next cupboard clean out lol!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Some people have the unfortunate genetic ability to taste the disgusting bitter aftertaste of Stevia. It sounds like you are one of them. I am too. I can't stomach it at all, it doesn't matter what brand. it's positively vile to me. Splenda is OK but I don't like it for other reasons. Mostly I stick to regular white sugar and have just dramatically (albeit slowly) reduced amounts I put in stuff.

I noticed the aftertaste at first as well, but figured I had maybe put in too much. When I cut the amount by about half, I could no longer taste it when I used it in yoghurt like you are. I use maybe 3/4 a teaspoon in half a large container of the Chobani 0% greek then add as much fruit (blueberries yum!) as I can stir in.

Coffee, however, is another matter!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like it but I don't mind it. At first I tasted the difference but now I like it. I did buy the baking stevia (big green bag... I don't remember the brand) I can't use it, it makes food taste so weird. I use Truvia now, I was using the drops but they don't carry them out the grocery store I go to so its a bit out of the way to get sweetener.

To me, Truvia has less of an aftertaste but its all a matter of opinion. The liquid kind you can get in flavors like vanilla, and that taste pretty good in yogurt, plain liquid though in yogurt doesn't taste that well.

Good luck, I hope you find something you like! :flowerforyou:
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't like Stevia either but I'm using it (in the raw) b/c I'm diabetic. I find Truvia to be the closest to tasting like real sugar. My sister thinks Truvia is too sweet & has a weird taste so she uses Splenda.