Cheap, Healthy Dinner Recipes/Ideas?

Options
Anyone have any good lower-cal dinner ideas? My dinner repertoire is a bit lacking at the moment :(
Also, no fish/nuts please. I'm allergic.
Thanks so much!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Melissa d'Arabian. She does the 10 Dollar Dinner show. And she cooks healthy food. Really creative.
  • FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    Thanks! I checked it out and her recipes look super good :)
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    chicken (any cut you like to eat)
    potatoes (your favorite type) halve or quarter them demending on size
    frozen green beans or other veggie.

350 for 45 minutes

Spray bottom of pan with pam or an oil to keep from sticking

put chicken and potatoes together
    sprinkle with Mrs Dash (or whatever you'd like to use)
    last 15 minutes top with frozen veggies and add 1/4 cup of water to steam veggies and keep chicken moist

If you like chicken skin crispy, use broiler for a minute or two. I dont eat the skin... but it looked good! ;)

adapt to your likings... it was easy!
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For a really cheap healthy marinade for chicken mix:

zest and juice of half a lemon
    2 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp mustard
    3 crushed garlic cloves
    lots of black pepper

(for 2 chicken breasts)

I use frozen chicken breasts so it's cheaper and defrost them in the marinade. It's soooo flavoursome and you end up with a really lovely sauce the flavours everything else on the plate. I serve it with sweet potato mash and some broccoli and cabbage. It works out at about 500 calories with the veg.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Turkey - cheaper than chicken
    Sweet potato - much healthier than white potato and cheap carbs
    Broccoli and carrots

Top with instant (I use bisto best) chicken gravy. This is my fail proof, cheap and very satisfying go to meal.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A quick cheap one for me(some may disagree) Pouch of zatarains big easy rice Jambalaya with cup of canned chicken breast mixed in. Ready in 2 minutes and total of 440 cals. There may be healthier foods but it is fast, low cal and cheap.
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Turkey franks
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I post healthy low cost foods on my page all the time to give my friends different ideas. He is a link to 15 Healthy low cost foods. :)

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheap+clean+eats&oq=cheap+cle&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.886.2146.0.3314.9.9.0.0.0.0.124.613.8j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.u3jzr7clZrQ

It is a series of videos by Cassey Ho of Blogilates.com she has a ton of "cheap clean eats" videos, I just tried her low carb ravioli, DELICIOUS!!
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Fry two turkey franks you have chopped up in 1tblsp EVOO and add 1 cup sauer kraut! Can put on a bun or just eat as is!
  • Still_Standing
    Options
    Why do people put bump?! haha
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Eggs - Always economical and if you are watching the pennies and not wanting to resort to pasta and rice they are a great staple. I know a lot of people have issues with eating omelettes for dinner as there is some established notion that they are a "breakfast" food, but I love them. Try your favourite omlette recepies or serve it poached with you favourite meat item.

Also, when I was a student I used to eat courgette/zuchinni noodles a lot. Try googling "courgette noodles" or "zuchinni noodles" on you tube to see how to make them. All you need it a courgette/zuchinni per person and your favourite pasta sauce.

:)
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/below-the-line-budget-recipes/

Jack's causing a bit of a stir in the UK. I've made her curry with apricots, and even with a number of tweaks it still came out at £1-25ish per -large- portion and under 500 calories.

HTH
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/below-the-line-budget-recipes/

Jack's causing a bit of a stir in the UK. I've made her curry with apricots, and even with a number of tweaks it still came out at £1-25ish per -large- portion and under 500 calories.

HTH

Some of these are really great! Its impressive what you can do with a little know how and when you force yourself to really stick to your budget!
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options

to put the topic back up on the top of board posting lists? more people see and answer?
  • FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    Wow! Haven't been on in a few days and its such a pleasant surprise to see so many great ideas! Thank you all and I'll give em a try :)
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options

to put the topic back up on the top of board posting lists? more people see and answer?

To save the post under their topics so as not to have to search for it when they want to read it in the future. :smile: