should i have grilled sardines

Options
manoozo
manoozo Posts: 156 Member
i just entered my lunch for today and i found that 15 ounce of sardines has 30 gm of fat!!!
i thought they're ordinary fish!!!
what do you think guys?
are sardines bad for us?

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i just entered my lunch for today and i found that 15 ounce of sardines has 30 gm of fat!!!
    what do you think guys?
    are sardines bad for us?

Don't know anything about anything, but I thought that fish fats were good fats - omega 3 and all that.

I also thought that tinned fish was potentially high in sodium and could bear watching on this score.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think sardines are great for you but 15oz is probably too large a serving--I would guess serving size is something more like 4-6oz.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you love them, no need to cut them out completely. 15 ounces sounds like a lot, though. The standard meat serving is 4 ounces, or about the size of a deck of cards. Maybe you marked down more than you actually ate?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I think sardines are great for you but 15oz is probably too large a serving--I would guess serving size is something more like 4-6oz.

I have poked the google and it looks like15 oz of sardines is about 500 calories - not that much as part of a meal, really (I am a 46 yo woman, 2000 TDEE)

I think the author is more worried about the fat content.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    If you love them, no need to cut them out completely. 15 ounces sounds like a lot, though. The standard meat serving is 4 ounces, or about the size of a deck of cards. Maybe you marked down more than you actually ate?

What is a "standard meat serving"?
  • manoozo
    Options
    i have grilled sardines not canned....i don't know about the serving, we order 2 and a half kg of sardines for 5 persons....so each one has 0.5 kilos of sardines...they are really small fish :)
    and it doesn't look like alot at all...i think
    i will post a picture about my sardines serving in 3 hours...stayed here :)
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I can't be that accurate because I usually use tinned in tomato paste "sauce", but based on fat content of a tin (12 grams total) did you eat about 7.5 sardines sans heads and tails?

Vitamin B12, tryptophan, selenium, omega-3 fats, protein, phosphorous, Vitamin D, calcium, Vitamin B3, iron, Vitamin B6, sodium.

Unless you have to watch your sodium intake (e.g. hypertension) I don't see them as a problem - the recommendation is 2 "portions" of oily fish a week anyway.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I think I have seen the MFP entry for your 15oz - 625 calories, 30g fat, 1100mg sodium.

I have found this from the heart foundation:

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/sitecollectiondocuments/dietary-fats-dietary-cholesterol-and-heart-health.pdf

It says 2-3 serves of oily fish (sardines, anchovies, tuna and the like) a week. Your 15 oz is probably equivalent to the three recommended serves, so only eat them once a week?
  • manoozo
    Options
    I think I have seen the MFP entry for your 15oz - 625 calories, 30g fat, 1100mg sodium.

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/sitecollectiondocuments/dietary-fats-dietary-cholesterol-and-heart-health.pdf

It says 2-3 serves of oily fish (sardines, anchovies, tuna and the like) a week. Your 15 oz is probably equivalent to the three recommended serves, so only eat them once a week?

it's fish straight from the see into the oven......why does it contain all that amount of sodium!!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No. Too much fat and sodium, not enough fiber and micro-nutrients. Anything in a can is usually packed in oil. Eww.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    a) fat is not bad for you
    b) freshly grilled sardines are amazing taste wise and nutrition wise
    c) damn, I fancy some now
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    what do you think guys?
    are sardines bad for us?
    I love sardines! I have them on toast once a week, but I only have a 125g tin serving (4.5oz) at a time.
  • manoozo
    Options
    guys it's not caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanned!!!it is not canned ...it's fresh......is it the same?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It's the canned sardines that contain more salt.
    Sardines are among the most nutritious fish u can eat. I have them 3x a week. Love em!!! Fresh or canned.
    Canned wild salmon is great, too.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    No. Too much fat and sodium, not enough fiber and micro-nutrients. Anything in a can is usually packed in oil. Eww.
    You can get them in olive oil, which IS good for you! :smile:
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I looked up the Mayo clinic site and they highly recommend them. The fat in sardines is good for you and if you use canned it depends what they are packed in. I have them a couple of times a week for snacks and my doctor says if you have fish at least twice a week there is no need to take fish oil pills. Living in Kansas I would be a little doubtful about fresh sardines around here so I have to use canned. Tried some the day packed in Cajun hot sauce, now that was Interesting.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    are sardines bad for us? Omega-3 Fats

Canned sardines may be good for you because they provide 0.4 g EPA and 0.5 g DHA in a 3-ounce serving. These are long-chain omega-3 fats that may reduce your risk for sudden cardiac death. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends having an average of 250 mg per day of EPA plus DHA. An extra benefit of getting these fish oils from canned sardines is that they are lower in mercury than some other fatty fish

FROM LIVESTRONG. COM
  • emergencytennis
    Options

it's fish straight from the see into the oven......why does it contain all that amount of sodium!!!!

Yes, I don't know! The site does not cite (haha) it's sources.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    i have grilled sardines not canned....i don't know about the serving, we order 2 and a half kg of sardines for 5 persons....so each one has 0.5 kilos of sardines...they are really small fish :)
    and it doesn't look like alot at all...i think
    i will post a picture about my sardines serving in 3 hours...stayed here :)

No matter how you look at it .5 kilo is more than a US pound and is quite a lot of protein in one meal. Of course if you grill them whole you might actually eat less because I assume you won't eat the head, tail and bones.
    I eat the sardines that come in the big oval can and I usually eat 3-4 oz.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat sardines every workday for lunch. High in protein and in good fats and low in contaminants. I think they're a very healthy food.