Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its truly FANTASTIC!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've heard it is, my friend wants me to attend a class with her, how did you handle the heat the first time you did it?
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Did hot yoga today, sweated like crazy, My Crossfit Gym has it every other Sunday. I have done regular yoga before in an air-conditioned environment. I prefer the hot yoga, The only thing, that when the instructor came buy and was very hands on with adjusting me, I felt funny that I was sweating so much.
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    never tried it but wish there was a cold yoga
  • DuchessNukem
    DuchessNukem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The hot yoga studio I've recently started going to also offers warm yoga classes that are done at 82 degrees instead of 95+ degrees. I really like the warm yoga classes, because there is still enough heat to help my incredibly tight muscles loosen up, but it's not so hot that it's uncomfortable. I would recommend seeing if the studio you are looking at going to has any warm yoga classes, and maybe start with one of those before trying a hot yoga class to see how you tolerate the heat.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love my regular yoga class, and I'd love to check out a 'hot yoga' class if I could find one. What do you wear?
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hot yoga!!! Wear the same thing you would normally wear to work out in. To deal with the heat, get there a few minutes early to settle in before you actually start moving. Bring a big water bottle and a hand towel/small bath towel. You can always go into child's pose if it gets to be too much but I've never had a problem. It truly is fanstastic...you will feel amazing when you're done!! Go!! Enjoy it!!!
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    Love it!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I dont even know what it is will have to research it
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga refers to yoga exercises performed under hot and humid conditions. Often associated with the style devised by Bikram Choudhury, hot yoga is now used to describe any number of yoga styles that use heat to increase an individual's flexibility in the poses.[1][2][3] In colder climates, hot yoga often seeks to replicate the heat and humidity of India where yoga originated.[4] Some forms of hot yoga include:
    Bikram Yoga was brought to the U.S. in the early 70s and became the most widely known form of hot yoga.
    Forrest Yoga combines yoga asana with Native American spirituality to create as a "yoga sweat lodge" in a heated room.[3][5]
    Power Yoga is derived from Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and uses heat to replicate environmental conditions in Mysore.[6]
    TriBalance Yoga another form of hot yoga, performed in slightly warmer but less humid conditions than Bikram Yoga.[7]
    Moksha Yoga founded in 2004 by Jessica Robertson, Ted Grand, and Natalia Brajak in Canada. This style of yoga is performed in a room heated to approximately 100 degrees and follows a series of 40 asanas, though teachers are free and encouraged to bring their own unique knowledge and experience to their class.[8][9]

FROM WIKIPEDIA
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love it - watch out, it's addicting! :) Make sure you are hydrated well before and don't have a full stomach (of food or water) when you go into class. Ask the teacher before class what they prefer you do if you get too hot or don't feel well.
  • ldabao
    ldabao Posts: 8
    Options
    I love it when I can get past the odor of sweat. (Still working on that part) They say you get "used" to it! LOL. For a beginner, I was told to sit next to the door so you can get a little cool air reprieve from the air that gets in underneath the door jambs. Definitely bring a large water bottle. I tend to sweat a lot so I bring an extra towel too. When you are finished you will have an amazing, detoxified, feeling. Good luck and don't push yourself past your limits. Your body will let you know!!
  • DietCokeGal
    DietCokeGal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great workout! Are the moves the same as a regular type yoga class or do they hold a pose longer and move less?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Even if you are not bothered by Bikram Choudhury's antics, there are some problems with that program. The biggest of all is that the sequence and nature of poses is not tailored to the individual, which is a bad idea for any exercise program (but is especially against the spirit of yoga). I would also be bored silly practicing the same 26 poses every time, considering the variety that yoga offers.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend finding a teacher certified in Iyengar yoga; they have to undergo rigorous training in alignment and adjusting poses to individual ability levels.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! You should try it at least once. The instructor told us to soak our heads in cold water which definetly helped me considering I sweated like a little piggy. Kinda helped me kept cool for a short time.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different kinds of hot yoga - I do Moksha, which has some poses similar to Bikram but the emphasis is on being kind and gentle with your body (instead of the "no pain no gain" attitude I've found in many Bikram classes) and yes, working hard, but not enough that you are hurting or not enjoying yourself. I always leave feeling like I'm floating. It's a lovely feeling.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hot yoga is fantastic. i like bikram - but the same 26 postures DO get a bit boring after awhile - not to mention Bikram Choudhury, the man who created the bikram style of yoga, is kind of a d-bag (check this out: http://yogadawg.blogspot.com/2011/03/yogadawg-quiz-who-said-it-bikram.html)

I recently found a yoga studio near me that has classes in the same temp as bikram (105*F - 115*), but the class flows with more of a vinyasa style. with sun salutations, chaturangas, warrior poses, etc. it is seriously kick *kitten* and super challenging and feels like a real total body workout.
    but, for just starting out, i'd suggest the traditional bikram -style as it's easier to follow and get the hang of. and still a fantastic sweat is had.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone, but those who love it, really love it.

My advice - eat a few hours before class. If you must eat right before choose something small like a piece of fruit. Go into class very well hydrated and replenish your electrolytes afterwards.

:smile:
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would also be bored silly practicing the same 26 poses every time, considering the variety that yoga offers.

Sounds like you're trying to give advice on a subject you're not familiar with. If you had even given these 26 postures a try, you would know that there is no way to become bored with them. Even for a seasoned practitioner, there is always work to do in each pose.

OP- definitely give it a try, and listen to your body, don't pull yourself past your your flexibility, it can be easy to do in the hot room, and you don't want to hurt your tendons!

Other than the previous caution, have fun!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great workout! Are the moves the same as a regular type yoga class or do they hold a pose longer and move less?

there are 26 specific postures in a Bikram series, and the same 26 postures are performed in every class. and yes, poses are held longer, with less movement and flow.

these are all the poses here: http://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga/TwentySixPostures.php