Whole Wheat Pasta Vs. Regular Pasta

Options
I am an Italian girl who LOVES her pasta. I am trying to figure out if the switch to whole wheat pasta is going to be a weight loss or health benefit to me. I know that whole wheat pasta has more fiber than traditional pasta, but anyone have anymore tips when it comes to pasta?

Thanks!

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My only tip is moderation.

Other then that there seems to be a little less sodium and perhaps a few less carbs in wheat pasta. Calories seem to be the same in the ones I have checked on in past.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In addition to fiber, there is more protein in the whole grain pastas. It is nutritionally better than "white" pasta, and IMO, has a more hearty taste (and keeps you full longer). I stick to the serving size which is usually 2oz. Pasta portion sizes have been really warped by restaurants and prepackaged foods, so the 2oz might not look like enough, but you'll get used to it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will make much (if any) difference to weight loss, unless you find that the wholewheat fills you up more because of the extra fibre. This is a change I would like to make, because wholewheat is a little more nutritious, but every time I've tried it, I really haven't enjoyed it. So, as of now, I just eat white pasta and, like everything else, keep it to a portion size that fits my goals.
  • veracalore
    veracalore Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a chef. Yes is the answer to your question. It's comparable to the difference between white and wheat bread. Try making some fresh, its really easy and the taste is night and day.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love pasta, and I eat all different kinds of it. Whole wheat pasta, regular dry pasta, fresh pasta, egg pasta... and it hasn't stopped me losing weight. Since it's something I love, and I'm able to fit it into my calorie and macro goals, I still eat it often. Others have mentioned that there is a small but real nutritional difference between whole wheat and regular pasta, but in my personal opinion different pasta go better with different sauces/preparations. Whole wheat is great with a rustic, chunky sauce, delicate egg pastas go well with creamier sauces, and I still tend to prefer a high-quality semolina dry pasta as a canvas for tomato sauce.

Anyway, now I'm rambling and I'm hungry so it's time to go make myself risotto cakes for lunch. Just want to say that you can lose weight and eat what you love, but if you would feel better eating whole wheat pasta, no reason not to go for it.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Unless you are like me and have PCOS which causes insulin resistance or are diabetic...the white stuff really f's up your body.

I actually much prefer 100% whole grain products. More fiber, more filling and it actually tastes pretty good.
  • ashmarie0806
    Options
    Awesome, thank you so much for all of your replies. I am so glad that I purchased some whole wheat pasta. Now to find some new recipe ideas!

Thanks!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    in terms of WEIGHT LOSS, either will be fine.
    In terms of health, fullness, etc go for whole wheat whole grain. Check to be sure there is only a few ingredients in your pasta.

Complex carbohydrates (whole grain pasta) are much better for you than simple carbs. (white pasta)
    They fill you longer, provide a boost of fiber, don't spike your blood sugar (which will leave you starving and craving more simple carbohydrates) and you get the other vitamins that are stripped from the white pasta during processing.

Go with whole grain, because abs are made in the kitchen :)
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    I'm an italian girl too, and since I'm trying to keep my calorie counts low. I'm finding alternatives for my favorite high calorie/carb pasta dishes.... I use spaghetti squash and zucchini in place of pasta. It's delicious and so much better for you.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In addition to fiber, there is more protein in the whole grain pastas. It is nutritionally better than "white" pasta, and IMO, has a more hearty taste (and keeps you full longer). I stick to the serving size which is usually 2oz. Pasta portion sizes have been really warped by restaurants and prepackaged foods, so the 2oz might not look like enough, but you'll get used to it.
    I have always wondered how do you measure your pasta, on the package is it talking cooked or before cooked??
    Thanks louise
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am Italian too and pasta is my favorite food! I tried the whole wheat and don't like it at all. I consider pasta a treat now and try not to have it more than once a week. And i measure or weigh it.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    As far as measuring, i believe it is dry. I know spaghetti is the size of a quarter dry for one serving.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Complex carbohydrates (whole grain pasta) are much better for you than simple carbs. (white pasta)
    White pasta is not a simple carbohydrate, it's a complex carbohydrate.

ETA: (to be pedantic, it contains complex carbs. :smile: )
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I eat regular
    brown is nasty to me
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like some of the whole wheat ones just as much as the white. It has to be a good one, though. I think the Barilla one is probably my favorite.