DIET WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE

Options
ive just bought this Diet Whey high protein lean matrix in a white tub and i really need to know when the best times and amounts i need to get the best results. ive looked online but it doesnt really come up with much. I weigh about 133LB and looking to lose about 20lb. i dont want to be stupidly skinny because i hope to be toned but i want to lose some access weight like on my arms and thighs. Any help would be grateful please

I dont eat fat ,and if i do then i try to get foods that contain a very low amount. i eat small portions about 4-5 times a day and i work out after 7 usually about 4-6 times a week. I dont do excessive amounts because i want to lose fat and not just build muscle under it. Even though i do eat alot, whatever i eat is usually low in calories, so i only end up eating about 1000-1500.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Before any harsh posters come along, here's some of my advice mixed with what I've seen in the forum:

1) 0.5-1.5g per 1kg of body weight
    2) Toning doesn't exist. People who look "toned" have a lower body fat than people who don't. So burn fat = gain/show muscle = look svelte
    3) You can't spot reduce fat ("weight" is a term given to our mass, and has no correlation to what we look like when a bodybuilder can weigh the same as a morbidly obese person and look very different)
    4) You don't eat fat? Fat is essential. Fat is wonderful, if eaten properly (no trans fats). Google what fat actually does for the body, and you'll be surprised at how much the diet industry has brainwashed people into believing fat will make you fat. I have lost a dress size and eat between 25-45g of fat a day, and even that is a low number
    5) Don't go under 1200 calories a day
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options

1) 0.5-1.5kg per 1kg of body weight

What a difference a "k" can make ;)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Before any harsh posters come along, here's some of my advice mixed with what I've seen in the forum:

2) Toning doesn't exist. People who look "toned" have a lower body fat than people who don't. So burn fat = gain/show muscle = look svelte
    3) You can't spot reduce fat ("weight" is a term given to our mass, and has no correlation to what we look like when a bodybuilder can weigh the same as a morbidly obese person and look very different)
    4) You don't eat fat? Fat is essential. Fat is wonderful, if eaten properly (no trans fats). Google what fat actually does for the body, and you'll be surprised at how much the diet industry has brainwashed people into believing fat will make you fat. I have lost a dress size and eat between 25-45g of fat a day, and even that is a low number

this this this this.
  • lua_
    Options
    I'll add that many people say different things about protein intake, it can vary from 0.5-1.5kg per lb of lean body mass, to what I said, to 1g per kg of mass. Just see what works for you!
  • lua_
    Options

What a difference a "k" can make ;)

Hahaha, oops!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Get as much of your protein from whole foods as you can, as whole foods will leave you full and satisfied, plus you get the thermic effect of eating whole food protein which causes your body to burn about 30% of the calories you consume just to break down the protein. If you must take whey because you can't stomach enough whole food protein, or for convenience, just fit it into your protein macro and make sure you hit your protein minimum by the end of the day. Try to shoot for .82g per lb of body weight of protein a day.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

1) 0.5-1.5g per 1kg of body weight

All of this is pretty right on, I'd say the protein guideline is low, especially because high protein diets are helpful on a cut to keep you full, and to prevent muscle breakdown. Amen to #2. Toning is a made up word. Muscle can do 3 things: get bigger, maintain size, or get smaller. Muscle definition depends on muscle size, and body fat percentage, that is it. #4 is huge, many people don't get enough dietary fat every day and it's detrimental to their health.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ive just bought this Diet Whey high protein lean matrix in a white tub and i really need to know when the best times and amounts i need to get the best results. ive looked online but it doesnt really come up with much. I weigh about 133LB and looking to lose about 20lb. i dont want to be stupidly skinny because i hope to be toned but i want to lose some access weight like on my arms and thighs. Any help would be grateful please

I dont eat fat ,and if i do then i try to get foods that contain a very low amount. i eat small portions about 4-5 times a day and i work out after 7 usually about 4-6 times a week. I dont do excessive amounts because i want to lose fat and not just build muscle under it. Even though i do eat alot, whatever i eat is usually low in calories, so i only end up eating about 1000-1500.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Unless you are an elite athlete with multiple training sessions a day, timing is not really a factor.

Protein powder is just a supplement to help you reach your protein goal. It doesn't do anything on its own, it's just a different form of protein. You don't need to take it if you get enough protein from food. Taking protein powder won't produce any other results.
    How much protein you need was already outline above.

You NEED fat! Need it. Your body absolutely requires it. It affects many things in the body including hormones. Don't be afraid of fat.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    You probably don't need protein powder, especially if you aren't really looking to put on muscle. Although people big up protein, in reality a calorie of protein is no better or worse than a calorie of fat or carbohydrates in terms of losing weight. Taking in high amounts of protein is generally for people who are trying to put on muscle or retain the large amount of muscle they already have, so any information you are trying to find about how much you should take relates to them and not you. The same goes for when you should take it.

As everyone else has said - you need fat, about 0.3-0.5 grams per pound of bodyweight is usually a good amount. Healthy fat sources are needed for your hormones and nutrition, and can help you lose weight. It is the fact that they are higher calories which give fats a bad name, but you just have to make sure you don't eat too much.

I wouldn't drop below 1500 calories a day either if I were you.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I don't understand why some people think a protein powder has some sort of mythical weight loss powers?

It's literally just a supplement. It increases your protein intake, nothing more nothing less.

Having said that, increasing your protein intake is probably a good idea, if you don't eat enough from regular foods.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people think a protein powder has some sort of mythical weight loss powers?

It's literally just a supplement. It increases your protein intake, nothing more nothing less.

Having said that, increasing your protein intake is probably a good idea, if you don't eat enough from regular foods.

Protein powder is magical. In SOOOO many ways. so many ways.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Like a pony...
  • lauralouw91
    lauralouw91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Has it worked for you?
  • its_amyyy
    its_amyyy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Current protein recommendations are an average of 0.8 g/kg per day. There are some circumstances where you may need more, but for healthy people as a whole, that's what's recommended. If you're not deficient and you're not an elite athlete, there is likely not going to be much benefit from a protein shake. As far as timing goes, it's best to ingest a combination of protein and carbohydrates within 45 minutes after exercise for maximum recovery. Everything is dependent upon the individual, though -- some people can't tolerate eating or drinking protein shakes after workouts as it makes them nauseous while others have no problem with it.

I agree with pp... don't be afraid of fat. Your body absolutely requires healthy fats to function. Vitamins A,D,E, and K all require fat in order to be metabolized and used by the body. Without eating dietary fat, you may be at risk for deficiencies. Fats also produce more energy at the cellular level when they are broken down for energy (when oxygen is present), so that's another great benefit that you may be missing out on. Examples of healthy fats include things like avocado, almonds, and nut butters. Food fat =/= body fat - don't be afraid of it. :smile:
  • gewagon
    Options
    Hi all can any one recommend a diet for me I am Male 5 foot 9 and weigh 100 kilo I am very active work every day go down the gym weight training at least 3 time a week take my dog out for walks every day.
    my food intake is on average 2 to 3 scrambled eggs on 1 toast wholemeal for breakfast,
    lunch normally a tin of tuna with a bit of salad / or mixed with beans ,
    and evening meal is mainly chicken breast with a bit of veg and potatoes .
    Total on average 2 to 3000 calories a day !!

I have a Matrix diet whey protein shake a day

Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday I eat out with a couple of beers. probably to many calories on these days
    the thing is I cant loose and weight I am quite muscular but also fat
    am I eating to much at each sitting ?
    can any clever people on here recommend a diet sheet
    many thanks Steve
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Like a pony...
    DIET protein powder is like a magical unicorn.