What's the worst food in your town/city?

Options
Most towns or citys have a local "specialty" that is usually horridly bad for people. So just for fun, where are you from and what's the food you're known for?

I'm from Ottawa, Ontario which is known for our Beavertails....for the Americans who may be wondering what the heck I am talking about...Beavertails are a fried dough pastry covered in sugar, with toppings ranging from hazelnut, chocolate, jam and cheese. Sooo delicious, but I can't imagine the calories! However, I will probably indulge at least once this winter because they're just such a tradition when we go skating, so who am I to judge? :)

Replies

• raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Cracklins which are basically pork skin and pork fat deep fried in it's own lard with a box of salt poured on top :-)

images.jpg
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife's meatloaf.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Omg .. I was just talking about this this morning with my husband. We have this place called Dairy Delight, and they have these burgers called "Old Fashioned" they are HUGE!! And English chips, are to die for. I am craving them soooo bad lately! Also we have Hunan Village, that's chinese .. my favorite is sesame chicken and ham fried rice. *drool*
  • Versha19
    Versha19 Posts: 20
    Options
    giant NY Style Pizza Slices, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Chicken Riggies YUM!!! Also, anything with Hot Sauce on it!!!!
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The salty dog! A 1/2 pound hotdog on a toasted hoagie with any toppings you like!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south were everything is fried, salted, and covered in butter. Think Paula Deen squared. One of the things that always makes me wonder is Fried Fatback. How in the do you fry and eat fat??

My grandmother also makes biscuits, three ingredients... flour, buttermilk and lard. Yum!
  • ashleychachacha
    ashleychachacha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't live there anymore, but my college town has a burger place that features The Elvis Burger: Cheeseburger with mayo, bacon and peanut butter. It is delicious. They also make fried oreos. It is a really good thing that I don't live there anymore, otherwise I'd be seriously going over my daily goals.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I live in Texas so do you have a minute? You name it! deep fried bacon! chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with cream gravy. All the mexican food you can ever want!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    lets see alvin texas :drinker:

my food www.cardiactailgaters.20fr.com :devil:

fried corn on the cob , fried twinkies , oreos double fried doughnuts
  • Allieballie
    Options
    Ah.... the "moo-tine" Think Poutine (french fries, gravy, cheese curds) BUT with the addition of mashed potatoes AND cooked ground beef.

yeah.

Ick.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The Texas State Fair's deep fried twinkies! And their latest deep fried butter!
  • alexlove31
    alexlove31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Harold's Chicken (fried chicken sent from heaven and you could actually eat it everyday!)
    White Castle's (just about everything on the menu has trans fats in them)
    Giordono's Pizza (deep dish - one slice will put you in a coma for 2 days)
    A&P Deli (corned beef that's so good, you can feel your arteries hardening as you pass by the place)

If you haven't guessed, I live in Chicago, so my list can go on and on and on, but I'll stop here, for the sake of my flared up cravings!

133123.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    CA is famous for it's In-and-Out restaurants that serve something called a "Double Double Animal Style" which is basically a double-cheeseburger with extra sauce and the burgers are fried with some kind of mustard sauce as well.

That's all I can think of that's a true CA food and is bad for you.
  • somethingvague
    Options
    When I posted this I thought..definitley anyone from Southern states is going to have me beat. Haha.

And I can see the temptation in deep fried chocolate bars or deep fried pickles (mmmm) but deep fried butter? That's getting ridiculous, haha.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Just moved to Asheville, NC. The French Broad Chocolate Lounge is amazing! They have hot chocolate that you can add flavor to: coconut milk, lavender and honey, etc. It is so thick and amazing. Plus you can't leave without having a truffle. I am planning on taking my parents there when they come and visit next weekend. It is such a splurge, but makes you happy for weeks.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    We have a place here that is famous for their nachos called "Mexican Garbage"-it is nachos that literally have everythng you can imagine on them! One order can feed about 4 or more people. On a side note: the president came to visit recently, due to the opil spill, and he ate at that restaurant. I wonder if he ate the "Mexican Garbage"? Probably not!
  • somethingvague
    Options
    Oh, and I must add - if I lived in the States I would be doomed. You guys have so many delicious-seeming restaurants that we don't have here.

Like, if I lived somewhere that had IHops or Sonics, I would be done for.
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida originally (in the panhandle close to Alabama) so from where i'm FROM all the yummy fried everything you can eat and cajun deliciousness! Looooove going to New Orleans from some Beignets...yum fried yeast dough..

Currently I live in Central CA...so DELICIOUS mexican food...I'm a sucker for a good steak burrito or some yummy chicken fajitas! I have a secret love affiar with Guacamole as well...mmmm...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just google Texas state fair foods, last year had fried butter
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the subject....
    If you have never seen this website you should check it out!
    http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Some of it is gross but some of it looks delicious!