"Rules" for cycling.

I am more familiar with the "rules" to running, but can I get tips on bicycling? I am trying to pick up my miles for cycling and wonder mostly - can/should I bike on back to back days? Or should I do "rest days" in between?

I also find that unlike running, my but and belly seem to be not changing in shape unless you count getting bigger. :-(

Any tips for a "newby" would be great. I also currently use my Trek mountain bike, and if I keep this pattern and the miles up, maybe I can get a road-bike for next summer.

Thanks!

PS - What are your thoughts on in-door trainers over the winter?

Replies

• My indoor trainer was worth every penny! Love it! (I got mine at the end of the season on clearance, too).

Biking is not the same as running as far as a "10%" rule or something like that. You should have a progression but it can be more aggressive than running. I follow a training plan from a coach I hired (who is a repeat IM finisher and knows her stuff) and she does a "step progression" plan where you do 3 weeks of increases in your intensity and length (long rides usually go up by 5-8 miles each week) and then have a 4th "easy" week with 3 "rides for enjoyment". This is followed by another 4 week cycle. I've noticed quite an improvement in my power and MPH with this system. I do 3 training rides a week and sometimes that's the only time I'm on my bike and other times I'll do as many as 5-6 rides in a week just depending on what is going on and what i'm training for.

Listen to your body... and try to have a professional look at your bike to make sure you are fit properly to it.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    I'm a newbie too but exercise bike in the gym. 1st time was about a week ago and couldn't go past 5 minutes and had to stop. Today I did 10 miles in 26 minutes and had to stop but I'm loving it. I'm sure you mean street riding but hope you enjoy your cycling too :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    I bike outside. Get on your bike and ride.

Seriously. Use every safety precaution (helmet, bright reflective clothing, safe tires/breaks, bike safety). Go different routes. Use it for running errands, going to the mailbox, buying small amounts of groceries, etc. Ride for a treat down the road even.

Leave your car parked in the garage with the gas needle always on full. When you get used to biking short distances, long distances, hills, busy intersections, lights, etc., then you bike some more. If you wish to strengthen your legs, incorporate training sessions such as Tabata, lunges, squats, drills. If your butt gets sore, purchase a gel-pad seat at WalMart.

The best way to get bike fit is to ride it.

(Edited to add: And always protect your brain by wearing a brain-bucket)
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    I have very cheap trainer that my hubby found at a garage sale and I used it all last winter. It was noisy but it totally worked and kept me riding. I've lost most of my weight by riding my bike. I agree that sometimes I ride for length and sometimes I ride for time. However - I am not competing at anything or against anyone except myself. I also take a spinning class on occasion at the Y because it's good intensity for me. Good luck in however you decide to proceed - biking is a great way to keep in shape.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I am more familiar with the "rules" to running, but can I get tips on bicycling? I am trying to pick up my miles for cycling and wonder mostly - can/should I bike on back to back days? Or should I do "rest days" in between?

Are you tired, are you sore? How many miles/hours are you doing?
    Loads of people commute by bike so daily riding is fine unless you are really pushing your limits.
    Even then multi day events on bikes are very common - watch the Tour de France for inspiration!
    I also find that unlike running, my but and belly seem to be not changing in shape unless you count getting bigger. :-(

Keep going! Most cyclists get lean legs and strong glutes. Wobbly belly is down to fat normally not the kind of exercise you do.
    Any tips for a "newby" would be great. I also currently use my Trek mountain bike, and if I keep this pattern and the miles up, maybe I can get a road-bike for next summer.

Fitting road tyres to your MTB is a bargain basement way to start doing further/faster miles. You will be surprised how much faster you can go on the road for the same effort.
    PS - What are your thoughts on in-door trainers over the winter?

I used a Spinning bike over the winter as I can't tolerate the cold and it made a huge difference to my bike fitness when Spring came around. You can also do very structured training on an indoor bike - heart rate zone training for instance.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    You can ride 7 days a week if you want, unlike running there is less recovery time required as it's a no impact workout, the risk of injury is minimal. The usual caveat of monitoring how you feel applies - if you're feeling burned out or overly fatigued take a day off.

Completely agree with the idea of putting on a tire with lower rolling resistance.

One of the most important things with a bike (apart from the usual safety considerations) is fit. A properly fitted bike is more comfortable and mechanically efficient. If you haven't had a good fit done recently contact your local bike shop - it's worth every penny.

Keep your bike tuned up - most importantly keep your chain and cassette clean; make sure your brakes are in good working order, shifters working properly etc.

For winter riding I use the spinning bikes at my tri club ( a weekly structured workout) and my trainer at home (I haven't been brave enough to buy rollers yet....). I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine that I bought used (it's one of the fluid ones - the harder you pedal the more resistance you get), other people I know have magnetic ones that they're happy with too - some of the magnetic ones allow you to manually control the resistance. The big thing I like about using my trainer is that it's my bike and I had it professionally set up - the spinning bikes at the studio are adequate but I prefer my own bike. If you're going to use a trainer get a training tire, they'll generally wear out a regular tire quite quickly.

If you're looking for structured workouts check out the Spinervals DVDs.

Ride safe & have fun!