I NEED HELP

Options
xomorganjc
xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
I am in desperate need of advice! When I joined MFP, I weighed in at around 210 lbs. I am now at 174 lbs, having lost 36 lbs. In the beginning, it seemed easy and the weight was coming off pretty quickly but now I feel like I'm stuck. I have only lost around 1 lb the past week and a half, and am not completely satified. I want to see progress, but am not sure what I need to do differently.

I'm eating 1200 cals a day, and feel satified. I rarely ever reach the 1200 calorie mark. I eat plenty, the food choices I make are just very low calorie foods which is why it is difficult for me to reach my calorie goal. I haven't been getting much exercise in because I have been very busy with my new job. My new job is in an office, whereas before I worked with fast food and was moving around a lot more, so I was wondering if this could be part of the reason things have slowed down...

Help please!

Replies

37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating enough protien?
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing as Smile - what does your protein look like? Also, not exercising as much will lead you to not losing as much. You aren't creating the deficit you were before.
  • Snowwy11
    Snowwy11 Posts: 28
    Options
    You have to start exercising now. Best thing to do :). Start off with walks in the evening after work. Does your office building have a gym? I am lucky because my office has a gym. I workout during my lunch hour. Wish you the best of luck!!
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital... but there are talks of building a Y soon across the street so that will be awesome. I guess I just need to start waking up earlier and making exercise fit into my schedule. :)

As for protein, I haven't really been tracking it at all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Time to raise your calorie goal. Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week instead. Your body has just moved past the point where you can expect to lose more than that.

Your calorie goal is a goal. You're supposed to get as close to it as possible. You can do this by choosing foods that are more calorie dense. Avocado, peanut butter, full fat dairy, etc will all help you get there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I work at a hospital... but there are talks of building a Y soon across the street so that will be awesome. I guess I just need to start waking up earlier and making exercise fit into my schedule. :)

Protein is important. It won't keep you from losing weight if it's too low but it's a good idea to track it and make sure you're viewing MFP's protein goal as a minimum. Same goes for MFP's fat goal.
    Options

Well you should start eating more protien because it will keep you more full....Apples and PB, eggs, protien bars, or even protien shakes!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disappoint a lot of folks on the MFP site because you won't lose weight by counting calories or by exercising more. Exercise tones the muscle and stimulates the appetite which will drive you to increase your intake of calories. consequently, you cannot use 'exercise' to 'burn calories'. It's just a myth and countless studies have shown that although the popular press continues to promote the idea that you can 'burn off' excess calories. you can't.

additionally, you won't lose weight by restricting your caloric intake. that is also a myth. as you restrict calories you 'signal' your body's chemistry that 'food is scarce' and by so doing your metabolism tends to slow down and burn fewer calories, i.e. your body conserves energy.

the weight that you are trying to lose is your excess 'fat'. You're not trying to lose excess muscle or bone. Fat tissue, all fat tissue, is created by the hormone insulin. the more insulin floating around your system, the more of that hormone is available to 'convert' nutrients to adipose (i.e. 'fat') tissue. so if you limit the amount of insulin available in your bloodstream, you limit the opportunity for your body to build and store fat.

Appreciate that ALL of your fat tissue is 'dynamic' in your body. your body makes a decision every day whether to conserve or consume ALL of the fat tissue in your body. the fat tissue in your body is not 'inert' or 'inactive'. It's every bit as vital in your system as your muscles, blood and bone. It is ACTIVE tissue, actively managed by your body's complex chemistry.

Since carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin by the pancreas, reducing carbohydrates CHANGES the signals to your body over whether to store or burn fat tissue. Carbohydrates are unique in the body's chemistry in this respect. This is the basis of all low carbohydrate diet plans. The carbohydrates stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. insulin 'stores' fat tissue (it is the ONLY hormone in your body that does this) and signals the LIVER to shut down the production of glycogen.

So shift your MFP guidelines to 'custom' and program your carbohydrate count in grams today to a level that is a reduction from whatever it is currently set at. you can safely move to 100 grams a day or less. I'm under 50 grams per day and have been for over a year.

Educate yourself on this system and it's safety by reading 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes or visiting
    'http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/

Good luck, you're going to be fine.
  • Sfarrar59
    Sfarrar59 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, im new to this message board but here I go,
    I am working with a personal nutrition coach and this diet I will loose anywhere from 1 1/2to 2 lbs a week, the first week, I lost 4 lbs,
    But let me just say if you are stuck,make sure your drinking enough water, increase your veggies watch your fats and sugars,,,no sugars at all,cut back on your fruits, use healthy fruits like tomatoes and avocado,,trust me, it works, no white starches, and keep track of your calories, make sure you are getting enough to eat of proper foods, you may have to have another meal or a healthy snack,,
    Good luck
  • debbiecrall
    Options
    Have you ever tried a Protein meal replacement? Sounds like you need more protein in the form of a meal replacement is just the ticket.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You're not eating enough. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Are you weighing food with a digital food scale?
    Incorporating exercise? Plenty of things you can do at home from tons of sources on the Internet. Resistance and cardio.
    Taking measurements and pictures? The scale is not your friend and will not reflect the changes happening to your body at times.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm going to disappoint a lot of folks on the MFP site because you won't lose weight by counting calories or by exercising more. Exercise tones the muscle and stimulates the appetite which will drive you to increase your intake of calories. consequently, you cannot use 'exercise' to 'burn calories'. It's just a myth and countless studies have shown that although the popular press continues to promote the idea that you can 'burn off' excess calories. you can't.

additionally, you won't lose weight by restricting your caloric intake. that is also a myth. as you restrict calories you 'signal' your body's chemistry that 'food is scarce' and by so doing your metabolism tends to slow down and burn fewer calories, i.e. your body conserves energy.

the weight that you are trying to lose is your excess 'fat'. You're not trying to lose excess muscle or bone. Fat tissue, all fat tissue, is created by the hormone insulin. the more insulin floating around your system, the more of that hormone is available to 'convert' nutrients to adipose (i.e. 'fat') tissue. so if you limit the amount of insulin available in your bloodstream, you limit the opportunity for your body to build and store fat.

Appreciate that ALL of your fat tissue is 'dynamic' in your body. your body makes a decision every day whether to conserve or consume ALL of the fat tissue in your body. the fat tissue in your body is not 'inert' or 'inactive'. It's every bit as vital in your system as your muscles, blood and bone. It is ACTIVE tissue, actively managed by your body's complex chemistry.

Since carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin by the pancreas, reducing carbohydrates CHANGES the signals to your body over whether to store or burn fat tissue. Carbohydrates are unique in the body's chemistry in this respect. This is the basis of all low carbohydrate diet plans. The carbohydrates stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. insulin 'stores' fat tissue (it is the ONLY hormone in your body that does this) and signals the LIVER to shut down the production of glycogen.

So shift your MFP guidelines to 'custom' and program your carbohydrate count in grams today to a level that is a reduction from whatever it is currently set at. you can safely move to 100 grams a day or less. I'm under 50 grams per day and have been for over a year.

Educate yourself on this system and it's safety by reading 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes or visiting

Wow I guess I must be a real scientific marvel.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options

Is your 50g carb target all carbohydrates or net carbohydrates (All subtract Fiber), so that this macro nutrient favors vegetable & legume carbs over and above grains and sugars?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_m8rj92WsB61rpa3tx.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

what a load of crap.

this site is full of people who have lost 100+lbs without ever once worrying about carb intake or drinking the purple Kool-aid that Taubes is selling.

if you don't have a medical condition that requires you to closely track your carbs, then the amount of carbs you eat is irrelevant so long as you eat fewer calories each day than you burn.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Disappoint? No.

Chuckle at your nonsense? Yes.

Oh, and OP, you've lost 1 pound in the last week and a half and you're complaining? I haven't looked at your diary but please adjust your expectations. One pound per week or thereabout is fine and you can't expect consistent, linear loss week in and week out. There will be some fluctuation. That and it's time to recalculate your numbers after a loss of 36 pounds.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

I'm a special snowflake. :P

Seriously though, this guy is a quack. Don't listen to him.
  • akcripps
    akcripps Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    little things to do: Park further away from the door, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Does your office have a gym? Try getting up 30 minutes early and do a quick routine before work.
    Options

Well, guess what? Over a million people around the world used the theory your calling, " wrong " and they all succeeded...Some people are just silly.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options

Aggressive comments stymie constructive conversation.

I learned years ago that simple carbs pack pounds onto my frame. Fat from real foods help keep my RA in check. My body can metabolize protein from many plant based foods. Personally, the meat I have an appetite for is fish, crispy poultry skin and stock, stews full marrow from a variety of mammals--but apart from fish, this flesh of mammals is like pasta to me: all texture without flavor absent the marinades and spices with which they are cooked. This is just my individual idiosynchrasy and not a statement on the grassfed-know your butcher quality meat my husband and I purchase.

...so Yes, I believe that the MFP contributor in question can find a diet rich in animal products that fits him just right. Also, I have read enough scientific literature to know that a calorie is not just a calories when sugar carbs are involved