Exercise Bike Calorie Count Vs MFP Calorie Count?

Options
My exercise bike (which is a York Nexus) tells me that in the 30min I use the bike I burn 50 calories. I went to log it on MFP but it told me that I burnt 246 calories.
Which is accurate?

Replies

• cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    50 calories for 30 min bike ride definitely does not sound right.
  • atragicfate
    Options
    I didn't think so. I might just go with MFP's amount...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike, moderate effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 30 min- 397
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I always enter a lower number of calories burned than what MFP or my treadmill gives me.
    It's too easy to overestimate your exercise burn and I'd rather be lower than higher.

Also I use this calories burned calculator because it takes your gender, age, height and weight into account.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm
  • atragicfate
    Options
    I always enter a lower number of calories burned than what MFP or my treadmill gives me.
    It's too easy to overestimate your exercise burn and I'd rather be lower than higher.

Also I use this calories burned calculator because it takes your gender, age, height and weight into account.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm
    Thank you! I entered in how long I used the bike for and it gave me just under the amount of calories MFP told me :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    I don't expect either to be accurate. On my typical workout of 65 minutes on the elliptical trainer, targetting a heart rate between140 to 150 these are the readings I get:

HRM: 500-530
    Machine: 750-780
    MFP: 926
  • atragicfate
    Options
    I don't expect either to be accurate. On my typical workout of 65 minutes on the elliptical trainer, targetting a heart rate between140 to 150 these are the readings I get:

Also, MFP doesn't take into account the type of machine you're using because pretty much all of them work differently.
  • SuzCruz159
    SuzCruz159 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Ride app to track my bike rides outside. Today I went 4 miles, 27:20 mins at 8.8 mph, burned 356 calories.
    When I entered it in MFP under Bicycling <10 mph it calculated 216 calories burned.
    On both of these I was able to enter my age, gender, current weight, etc. but still got quite a difference. I usually go by the lesser amount of calories burned to be on the safe side.
  • avidisson
    avidisson Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I agree and I see about the same numbers when I'm training.

In my opinion; if you have a decent heart rate monitor (HRM) and if you've set it up correctly (configured age, sex, weight etc.) the HRM should be quite accurate...