PCOS -Weight Loss

Options
Hi,
I have been diagnoised with PCOS and Hypo Thyroid.
Married in December 27th 2012
Planning for Pregnancy early next year.
After marriage i have gained weight about 5 kgs ...
My height is 147cms and weight is 59.6Kgs..
Can you please let me know how to reduce weight...
Will Usuage of Krimson ,lets ur increase weight after stopping using it ....
Please help me in this regard

Replies

• CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been diagnoised with PCOS and Hypo Thyroid.
    Married in December 27th 2012
    Planning for Pregnancy early next year.
    After marriage i have gained weight about 5 kgs ...
    My height is 147cms and weight is 59.6Kgs..
    Can you please let me know how to reduce weight...
    Will Usuage of Krimson ,lets ur increase weight after stopping using it ....
    Please help me in this regard

DIET - Eat a diet with balanced macros, concentrating mostly on proteins and good quality fats. Avoid HFCS and baked goods. You can lose weight without cutting out a bunch of carbs, but because of the way women w/ PCOS metabolize sugars, you're better off avoiding them. It will help you curb cravings and minimize the impact of fatty liver (which most women with PCOS also have) and insulin resistance. Your hormones will balance more easily by avoiding excess carbs, as well. I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit, with occasional treats here and there.

CARDIO - and lots of it. 45 - 60 minutes of HIIT 5x a week will do wonders. (Make sure you break a sweat! And get a HRM so you keep an eye on your heart rate.I think a lot of us don't exercise hard enough. A slow walk twice a week will NOT cut it!) Losing weight helps with PCOS, but being fit will actually do more to reverse the worst side effects of the syndrome.

STRENGTH - definitely consider weight training 3x a week. Even though I think cardio is the key to forcing your muscles to use up glucose in the blood stream, strength training will make you feel better and help prevent injury.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would also add:

DIET -- Avoid bananas, tropical fruits, and dried fruits. Avoid anything with maltodextrin in it. Strive to eliminate caffeine from your lifestyle as this can cause an insulin spike.

LIFESTYLE -- Get tested for food allergies and/or intolerances. It will help to reduce/eliminate some of the cravings. If not using one already, get a blood glucose monitor. Test any new meals you eat using the monitor. Your body is the best indicator on what will spike you and cause cravings.

Weight watchers, Zone, Paleo, Primal, Sugar busters, South Beach, Atkins maintenance phase, "Mediterranean" (40 carbs/40 fat/ 20 protein) are some of the diets suggested.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS and have lost 180+ pounds. It really comes down to simply eating in deficit, eating good foods with moderation of treats and exercise.

Feel free to add me

:)
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi kazsjourney:

I did not lose as much as you yet. But I'm with you. I don't know what you are eating...re: kind of carbs; whole wheat, etc. Would you please expand on that? I found that I do better with weight loss by not being strict on that part. I've been keeping to 1700 per day and seem to lose MORE than when it was restricted to 1450...most curious. Also, I don't have "wild cravings" either. I'd like to know some of what you discovered in your weight loss journey.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have had good results with regular, vigorous exercise and a calorie deficit. I have not found it necessary to restrict carbs as much but I do get a lot of exercise most days.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi kazsjourney:

I did not lose as much as you yet. But I'm with you. I don't know what you are eating...re: kind of carbs; whole wheat, etc. Would you please expand on that? I found that I do better with weight loss by not being strict on that part. I've been keeping to 1700 per day and seem to lose MORE than when it was restricted to 1450...most curious. Also, I don't have "wild cravings" either. I'd like to know some of what you discovered in your weight loss journey.

Hi - I eat up to 158 grams of carbs per day. My grains are generally oats and burgen bread (a grain bread in Australia). I generally (altho not always) avoid grains in the evening. But I also eat things like chocolate (I have some most days). I am not insulin resistant so there is not really a need for me to be too fussy about the grains I eat.

For a huge chunk of my weight loss I ate 1800 calories and calorie cycled (If you want my thoughts/plans on calorie cycling you can see it on my journal here : http://kazzsjourney.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/how-many-calories-and-calorie-cycling.html), I also exercised a lot - primarily cardio with 1-2 resistance sessions a week. Now I do strength work 3 times a week and cardio 5 days a week (on the days I do weights I only do 20 mins cardio)

Hope that helps :)