clean eating.

Options
tessi1993
tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
So ive heard people say "if you dont eat clean, your waisting your time working out"
is this true?
what happened to "everything in moderation"?

help appreciated.

Replies

• fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Look at my food diary. I so don't eat clean. My husband and I eat out EVERY night. I have lost 23 pounds plus. I started losing weight 3 yrs ago when I was at my heaviest (200 pounds) and I am now about 10 pounds shy of my goal. Everything in moderation. Plus, If I know where we are eating dinner I plan accordingly. I do try to watch what I order when we eat out. I stay away from the greasy crap and fried foods. But, I do have an obsession with SKITTLES.

Hope this helps
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    At the core of that saying is that you get out of your body what you put into it. If the energy is laden with empty calories or full of processed foods and fats, then your body will use that energy as best it can. But with little or no nutrients to efficiently convert that food to fuel and support your body function, it cannot build the muscle and effectively burn fat.

Eating right or clean is 70 - 80 percent of the battle of being fit. The good energy you take in, will allow your workouts to be more effective and aid in recovery. It will boost your metabolism which will increase your body's efficiency to function in all areas.

It is not easy to make changes to eating habits, but if you make better choices in nutrition, all your hard work with fitness will show more quickly and you will feel so much better about yourself.

Good luck!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with moderation.

The best I can tell, "clean eating" is a nonsensical term used by those who wish to sound knowledgable about nutrition but who end up coming off as pretentious and surprisingly ignorant. If you don't believe me then get a group of clean eaters to agree to a definition of the term. Good luck!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own way of life. Some eat clean on a daily basis, others don't. Choose what's right for you.
  • tessi1993
    Options
    thanks guys :)
    all my main meals are mostley "clean" but i do eat dark choclotte, low calorie puddings, jelly etc.
    i have a group on instagram called "healthygirl"s" she does not follow caloires, just claims to "eat clean" and says you will get no where if you dont.

hhhhmmmm..
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different- what works for others may not work for you. Some people find eating clean works, some people find eating primal or paleo works, some people can eat whatever they want as long as it fits in their macros (which they set themselves), some drop meat, some drop dairy, etc.

Find what makes your body a fat burning machine and makes you feel your best (personally I eat primal. I have a gluten intolerance with family that are celiac AND diabetic so I avoid grains/starches/sugar because I'm not interested in becoming celiac and already don't do well with starch/sugar)

I still have cheat days but find that eating primal is what is working best and making me feel like a rock star so that's what I do.

It's all part of the journey so enjoy finding what works for you :)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I like eating whole foods most of the time, but fitting yummy things I like into my macros when I can.

I can't stand the term "clean eating". I just think its another way of labeling and demonizing food. Which is ridiculous.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

The best I can tell, "clean eating" is a nonsensical term used by those who wish to sound knowledgable about nutrition but who end up coming off as pretentious and surprisingly ignorant. If you don't believe me then get a group of clean eaters to agree to a definition of the term. Good luck!

KmE27SP.gif

Amen to this.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    all my main meals are mostley "clean" but i do eat dark choclotte, low calorie puddings, jelly etc.
    i have a group on instagram called "healthygirl"s" she does not follow caloires, just claims to "eat clean" and says you will get no where if you dont.

hhhhmmmm..

I know PLENTY of people that have achieved their desired look without eating "clean". People also think if they eat clean they don't have to be moderate, then they end up over eating calorie dense "clean foods" such as nuts, coconut oil, avocado etc. Which are all good in moderation, but if you eat more calories than you burn, you will put on weight. Clean or not. period.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    all people are different but i do better with bro foods

Bro-Foods generally consist of food like Oatmeal, chicken breast, whey protein, nuts, 90% lean beef, coconut oil, Broccoli, olive oil, many types of fish, brown rice, peanut butter, bananas, wheat bread, eggs, cauliflower, cottage cheese, yogurt, leafy greens, sea slat etc.
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    At the core of that saying is that you get out of your body what you put into it. If the energy is laden with empty calories or full of processed foods and fats, then your body will use that energy as best it can. But with little or no nutrients to efficiently convert that food to fuel and support your body function, it cannot build the muscle and effectively burn fat.

Eating right or clean is 70 - 80 percent of the battle of being fit. The good energy you take in, will allow your workouts to be more effective and aid in recovery. It will boost your metabolism which will increase your body's efficiency to function in all areas.

It is not easy to make changes to eating habits, but if you make better choices in nutrition, all your hard work with fitness will show more quickly and you will feel so much better about yourself.

Good luck!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. For most people, it doesn't really matter what they spend those calories on. They will lose scale weight if they eat fewer calories than they burn.
    Now what you eat will make a difference in your health, and body composition, but as far as simply weight goes, it is calories in vs calories out.

Now for some people, it DOES make a difference in what foods they eat. If you are insulin resistant or diabetic, then eating higher carbs will slow or stall their weight loss, even if they are in a deficit, because the higher levels of insulin will block fat burning.

For many of us, eliminating certain foods will help in reducing inflammation. Inflammation causes water weight gain. So therefore, those inflammatory foods can cause us to gain scale weight.

So there is no simple answer to what is clean eating and do we have to eat clean.

I will add, however, that cooking your own foods, and eating more fruits and veggies, instead of fast food or prepackaged foods, will not only provide better nutrition usually, but it also fills you up more, so you have more volume of food with fewer calories. The higher fiber and protein will help keep you fuller longer and all this will help you stay within your calorie goal easier.
  • tessi1993
    Options
    i TOTALLY agree with this, gah i wish i could say it to her. she thinks shes so smart and tells me u dont have to count calories if your eating healthy, healthy foods have calories to!

hhhhmmmm..

I know PLENTY of people that have achieved their desired look without eating "clean". People also think if they eat clean they don't have to be moderate, then they end up over eating calorie dense "clean foods" such as nuts, coconut oil, avocado etc. Which are all good in moderation, but if you eat more calories than you burn, you will put on weight. Clean or not. period.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Yes, healthy foods do have calories as well. No matter how healthy you eat, you must still eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

KmE27SP.gif

Amen to this.

EEDkX.gif
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I generally stay away from fast food, because it has so many more calories per volume than food I make myself. Since my calorie needs are lower than average, I have to be careful how I spend my calories and make the most of them to not be hungry half way thru the day. But I did have Subway for lunch today and even had a cookie. I balanced it out with baked Tilapia and salad for dinner. :happy:
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I'll just follow you around and agree in a non-creepylike fashion.
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is really just calories in, calories out thing. I lost weight before eating simply low calorie foods; junky 100 calorie packs, 60 cal pudding cups, sugar-free ice cream, chips etc. I'm not saying that food was healthy- but I did lose a lot of weight that way since I managed to stay under my calorie goal. Now, I'm trying to lose some weight again and I'm eating super healthy and as some say, "clean." I haven't lost weight any faster eating clean under my calorie goal as I did eating unhealthy foods under my calorie goal.
    Eating healthy is great for your overall health, but eating some sweet "unhealthy" foods in moderation will not hurt your diet as long as you don't overeat calorie-wise. Good luck! :)
  • imasugarjunkie
    Options
    I've followed some clean eating recipes and whilst yes, they have helped me lose weight, I wouldn't say that it is something everyone has to do! If I go out with friends I still eat what I want, but we used to have a fairly carb heavy diet, lots of pasta and rice, so I stopped making pasta and switched to brown rice, and that seems to have made the difference.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the term "clean eating". I just think its another way of labeling and demonizing food. Which is ridiculous.
    Losing weight is really just calories in, calories out thing.

vhug.gif