Gluten free breakfast ideas?

Options
laursed
laursed Posts: 73 Member
Just started gluten free about 3 weeks ago, could use some new breakfast ideas. I can get pretty creative with lunch and dinner, but breakfast if getting challenging.

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My husband is gluten sensitive and he either has an egg white omelet with mushrooms, red pepper, spinach, and a touch of reduced fat cheese or skim milk on a mixture of corn and rice Chex.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel English muffin with peanut butter and some fruit.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Without commenting on the wisdom of the gluten free fad that is sweeping chiropractic and homeopathy offices everywhere, eggs, bacon, milk, cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc. all make a good breakfast.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Homemade granola, or homemade granola bars!! Greek yogurt!
  • dmaxma
    dmaxma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also gf -- Try: omelette with spinach, sundried tomatos and cheese; plain yogurt with almonds and fruit; oatmeal (Bob's red mill is gf); broiled tomato with cheese and avocado; or an apple/ banana with peanut butter. Bc I have to eat gf, I always have breakfast before leaving the house -- I try to make sure its got some form of protein in it to tide me over until lunch.

Watch out for gf prepared or processed foods -- they are often high in fat and unhealthy junk. Good luck!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm also gf -- Try: omelette with spinach, sundried tomatos and cheese; plain yogurt with almonds and fruit; oatmeal (Bob's red mill is gf); broiled tomato with cheese and avocado; or an apple/ banana with peanut butter. Bc I have to eat gf, I always have breakfast before leaving the house -- I try to make sure its got some form of protein in it to tide me over until lunch.

Watch out for gf prepared or processed foods -- they are often high in fat and unhealthy junk. Good luck!

Majority of oatmeal is gluten free it just is processed in the same facility as other gluten products so there can be trace amounts of gluten... kind of like the whole peanut thing. If you aren't celiac then chances are the minimal amount of gluten that MIGHT be in your oatmeal probably won't affect you.
  • luchien
    luchien Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been GF for the past 2 years and never felt better :) Here is a list of some of the breakfast foods I like:

-eggs (in any form)
    -Udi's bread toasted with PB/eggs/banana etc
    -greek yogurt and granola
    -cottege cheese and fruit
    -GF cereal and almond milk
    -Bob's Red Mill GF oats
    -smoothie with Garden of Life Raw protein/berries/banana/almond milk
    -Udi's blueberry muffins
    -fruit/cheese/celery and almond butter
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas. Im gonna try the oatmeal, ive been missing that! Im not celiac, so hopefully no ill effects.....
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like Caramel Rice Cakes with peanut butter and sliced banana on top....also Pamela's Pancake mix is great and not too terribly unhealthy
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You could also look for any of the paleo breakfast idea's, they are all gluten free so it might be an option ;)

I have one of the ones below for breakfast or sometimes lunch ;) :
    - coconut or almond flour pancakes
    - certified gluten free oats
    - granola with yoghurt
    - greek yoghurt with nuts, seeds and raisins
    - omelet with bacon, ham, cheese, onion, paprika or something like that
    - spanish tortilla (egg, potatoes, onions)
    - Rice crackers with toppings
    - gluten free bread? (tho most of them are quite horrible)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eggs, polenta, sweet potatoes, avocadoes, smoked salmon, ground turkey, vegetables, plain yogurt, fruit.

there are multiple things you can do with those items. there's also a gluten free all purpose flour mix that you can buy so you can make pancakes, crepes and waffles. udi;s gluten free breed is pretty ridic with the amount of holes in it, but it;s not bad when made into french toast.

you can pretty much eat the same things as you normally would just with slight modifications
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, ham and eggs, steak and eggs.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Majority of oatmeal is gluten free it just is processed in the same facility as other gluten products so there can be trace amounts of gluten... kind of like the whole peanut thing. If you aren't celiac then chances are the minimal amount of gluten that MIGHT be in your oatmeal probably won't affect you.

I wouldn't trust any oats that don't specifically say gluten free. They are if grown and processed separate from wheat, but most aren't. If you're going gf just for health purpose not because you're allergic then any oats are fine. Bob's gluten free oats are fine but expensive.

Breakfast wise you can have eggs, potatoes, omelets, gluten free cereals, gluten free toast, just about anything you normally have they make in gluten free form.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    chia seed pudding
    smoothies
  • duhonmommie
    Options
    I'm in the process of learning how to make my home gluten free. I'm hoping this will help my DS6 with his mood swings and sensitivity problems. We're also reducing white sugar and looking into the Mediterranean Diet. I'm loving all the tips for breakfast!!
  • Roseread19
    Roseread19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vanilla chex are really good
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    laursed wrote: »
    Im not celiac

Not even a little bit? Then why do you want to eat gluten free?
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband is gluten sensitive and he either has an egg white omelet with mushrooms, red pepper, spinach, and a touch of reduced fat cheese or skim milk on a mixture of corn and rice Chex.

Maggie I found the Gluteno f Frozen English muffins at Walmart in te frozen food section by the frozen TV dinners. The are really good. They are big so I cut them in half Makes toast with cheese, Pizza, I think its 70 calories for half of one. I keep them in my freezer all the time. Love 'em. Smell like fresh bake yeast bread while toasting them with a little butter and sugar free jelly. or peanut butter and sugar free jelly splurge and use the whole muffins toasted and have a jucy hamburger ever so often.
    I am in heaven

Marie

even
    Marie

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I am celiac, so no fad diet here, to the one that called it that.

I eat strawberries or blueberries when in season, 200g with 3/4 c skim milk and a bit of cream and 2 t sugar.

When berries aren't in season, I eat 1.5 servings of Chex Cinnamon cereal with milk.