Do you squat low enough? givi\en up on pushups?

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
When I ask the average gym rat whether he/she squats until their thighs are parallel to the floor, 99.9 percent of the time the answer is "Yes." Then I watch them squat. My reaction is almost always the same: Do they understand what "parallel" means? maybe confusing it with "45 degrees"? The definition of a proper parallel squat is lowering your body until the tops of your thighs, not the bottoms, are at least parallel to the floor. This small detail typically amounts to at least a 2-inch difference. And when it comes to building muscle, inches matter. That's because the greater your range of motion, the more muscle fibers you'll activate, and the bigger you'll grow. Sure, a shallow squat is less taxing, but shouldn't that tell you something?Don't rely on a mirror to keep you honest; it leaves room for interpretation. Instead, tightly control your depth by squatting with a 12-inch box or a large medicine ball beneath you. (A typical bench doesn't work, since it stands 18 inches high.) If you're not touching the box on every repetition, you're not squatting deep enough.

How to do it: Stand with your heels just in front of a 12-inch box or other object. It can even be a cardboard box, since you won't be placing your weight on it. Initiate the movement by pushing your hips back. Bend your hips and knees to lower your body until your butt lightly touches the top of the box (don't sit on it), then press back up to the starting position

Have You Abandoned the Pushup? I hope your answer is no. , I far prefer the pushup to the bench press. After all, athletes don't typically spend a lot of time lying on their backs pushing up, unless they aren't very good at their sport. And besides working your pecs and triceps, the pushup engages your core, your lats, and just about every other muscle in your upper body. That makes it one of the most useful and efficient movements in anybody's exercise arsenal.

Think you're too strong for the pushup? Try this challenge: Assume a pushup position, but place your feet on a bench. Then have a partner place a 25-pound weight plate on your back, ..(10 for a woman to begin, unless of course you can handle the 25 then be all means go right ahead!) at the level of your shoulder blades. Now try to do 20 pushups with perfect form. Until you can pass this test, there's no reason to bother with the bench press. How to do it: Keep your body rigid, in a straight line from your ankles to your head, and lower it as a single unit until your nose touches the floor. Then press back up until your arms are completely straight. Want an even greater challenge? Perform the exercise withyour hands on a BOSU ball (dome down), which adds an element of instability, forcing the core and shoulder muscles to work even harder.

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I like reading your posts :)

I questioned my squats the other day and this morning I made sure I passed the "parallel to the floor" rule (just by a hair). Let me tell you it was way more difficult! Then I felt more accomplished cause I knew that I didn't take the easy road out of my workout this morning. :flowerforyou:
  • imagymrat
    I like reading your posts :)

I questioned my squats the other day and this morning I made sure I passed the "parallel to the floor" rule (just by a hair). Let me tell you it was way more difficult! Then I felt more accomplished cause I knew that I didn't take the easy road out of my workout this morning. :flowerforyou:

Makes them so much harder, but your legs will develop much quicker when using the proper technique..and PARDON the typo in the title...I don't know what happened there!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Very good post. Careful though. There are a few here who think any squat past 90 degrees at the knee is a recipe for complete and total destruction of the universe. :wink:
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    What if you don't want to build big bulky muscle? I do squats on a daily basis, with one of my workout DVD's, and they tell me to go as far as it is comfortable. I feel my quads and glutes working, but I don't go Parallel to the floor. Is that wrong?
  • ShaneT99
    What if you don't want to build big bulky muscle? I do squats on a daily basis, with one of my workout DVD's, and they tell me to go as far as it is comfortable. I feel my quads and glutes working, but I don't go Parallel to the floor. Is that wrong?

1. As a woman it would be extremely difficult for you to ever build big, bulky muscles. That's an unfounded fear that a lot of women have about lifting weights, but the simple truth is that women don't produce enough testosterone to get big and bulky.

2. It's not WRONG to stay above parallel but it's also not as effective.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    My trainer just started me doing "sumo squats" with a 15 lb. weight. I can really tell the difference if my position is correct or not! I have to watch my knee pain so hopefully these will help that.

Pushups with a weight on my back?......... uh, nope! That ain't happening anytime soon! :blushing: :bigsmile:

Thanks for the info........... something to work towards! :flowerforyou:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    I always try and get as low as I can during squat, I think I can feel when I reach that parallel level because there seems to be a little "spring" when I lift back up. I cant get as low doing feet together squats, but Im getting there slowly.
    I would love to be able to do hardass pushups....I can do one or two on my toes, but I still dont have enough strength quite yet in my upper body. Ill get there though :).
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Good to know. I am working on my 200 squat challenge and just finished week 3. Just did 70 squats today, but I don't think I was going deep enough. Will try again next day with going parallel and see if I can reach the same numbers!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Hummmm... I teach different method of squat based on the Coopers Institute principle that I learned through my certification with them. I teach 90 degrees from heal to but to prevent over extending the knee and coming up to a soft knee and back down in a steady upward downward motion.

I teach them to pick a spot at the top of the wall to prevent them from wanting to bend forward. I also teach on keeping the weight off your neck by setting it further back. There are many varities of teaching but what is the safest route. Also, for those who have knee problems squatting with the thighs parallel will only add to those problems.

Now, lunges is a differet story. You can have your thighs parallel as long as you do not let you knee go past your shin.

So, we will agree to disagree based on both of our training back grounds.

Carlos
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I always try and get as low as I can during squat, I think I can feel when I reach that parallel level because there seems to be a little "spring" when I lift back up. I cant get as low doing feet together squats, but Im getting there slowly.
    I would love to be able to do hardass pushups....I can do one or two on my toes, but I still dont have enough strength quite yet in my upper body. Ill get there though :).

I am doing a 100 push up challenge and in 2 weeks I have gone from being able to do 6 proper form push ups to 16 as of today. There are also other challenges there too that are worth trying.

www.hundredpushups.com
  • ShaneT99
    Hummmm... I teach different method of squat based on the Coopers Institute principle that I learned through my certification with them. I teach 90 degrees from heal to but to prevent over extending the knee and coming up to a soft knee and back down in a steady upward downward motion.

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2000/01/leg-training-myths
  • imagymrat

1. As a woman it would be extremely difficult for you to ever build big, bulky muscles. That's an unfounded fear that a lot of women have about lifting weights, but the simple truth is that women don't produce enough testosterone to get big and bulky.

2. It's not WRONG to stay above parallel but it's also not as effective.

I couldn't have answered that one better than Shane did...:laugh: My legs aren't bulky in the least, the one thing I can tell you. Once I started to squat lower, my tush tightened up...that's right my booty has no more wiggle, and that's a huge difference and was a serious troubled spot for me, as soon as I went lower and added deadlifts along with that and weighted wall squats..A huge difference in my rear end, you won't get bulky, your legs will acutally look much leaner with the muscle built up a bit....and Carlos, man, it's all good, all info, you do what works and you pass it along, I appreciate your input and what works for you.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Thank you for posting that. I actually just had a conversation with someone, who told me I was going too low with my squats!
  • imagymrat

Very interesting read!! thanks for that post!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member

For every disclaimer there is always someone with another opinion:

http://www.mystrengthtraining.com/squat.htm

Do not believe I said she was wrong. I said I was taught a different way when I went through my cert. Read the above link just as quickly as you threw your jab out there.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I was always sure my squats weren't deep enough.....although even what I do is terribly hard. I will try your way though and just start with less of them. thanks for sharing the info.
  • Hi, I really enjoy your posts and your a wealth of information. I am wondering if you have any suggestions on getting rid of Belly Fat? Should I be concentrating on cardio and if so how much? Currently I am doing Tae-bo and 30 Day shred.
  • imagymrat
    Hi, I really enjoy your posts and your a wealth of information. I am wondering if you have any suggestions on getting rid of Belly Fat? Should I be concentrating on cardio and if so how much? Currently I am doing Tae-bo and 30 Day shred.

Cardio and clean eating plan ( I can't stress how important the eating is) is the beginning, once you melt that layer of fat covering the abs, you can do all the crunches in the world but as long as you have fat there, you will never see em..keep up the core work, it's still important, eventually with the right eating/exercise plan you'll slowly start to see them.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    great post!!! squat till ya puke....haha...meatheads will understand that one
  • Bump
This discussion has been closed.