FREE online course for foodies! Offered thru Coursera.

Options
sajeffe
sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
Tweet from Coursera: Cooking, biology, chemistry & physics all intersect in new #gastronomy course! #Foodies unite and sign up: http://bit.ly/14jZVsQ !

Here is the course url: https://www.coursera.org/course/scigast

This class is offered (in English) through The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

It's also not too late to sign up for this free online nutrition course: https://www.coursera.org/course/nutrition

And this one: https://www.coursera.org/course/nutritionforhealth is coming up soon.

If you're interested in other topics, check out coursera.org and edx.com for all kinds of courses from a bunch of universities. All free.

Gogogogo. Learn!!

Replies

• sajeffe
    Options
    Anybody? No science background necessary. :smile:
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
    Love Coursera:heart: Have done few of their courses, will definitely check them out!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm already enrolled. Have done 2 nutrition course - UCSF and Vanderbilt
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Cool. I love Coursera too.
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    I really like it I just learned about it from you about a week ago but I have a question? I can't afford to pay for it I know its offered free but to get the credentials you have to pay do you still get something that proves you have completed the course?
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I really like it I just learned about it from you about a week ago but I have a question? I can't afford to pay for it I know its offered free but to get the credentials you have to pay do you still get something that proves you have completed the course?

Yeah. If you get a passing grade, you will get a Statement of Completion, signed by the professor(s). You don't need to pay for it. After the course ends, it might take a couple of weeks, but they'll email you when the document is ready to download.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Yeah. If you get a passing grade, you will get a Statement of Completion, signed by the professor(s). You don't need to pay for it. After the course ends, it might take a couple of weeks, but they'll email you when the document is ready to download.
    The certificate you get is not worth anything really, it's just a nice token for you:wink: It's quite tricky with online courses as they have to verify you are who you say you are and that you are doing all the work and not your friend who already has a degree in nutrition. If you want to complete the course and get a certificate that will count towards a further degree or if you want to set up as nutritionist you'd need to pay (and get the proper ID validation, etc)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • seblagg
    seblagg Posts: 42
    Options
    Interesting. I'm already taking the UCSF nutrition course, and it's going well. This looks fun! Bump for those who might be interested.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Yeah, I'm downloading both of them, as well as a few other courses.
  • chelkins16
    chelkins16 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Good morning! Or evening, depending on where you live or what your schedule is. It's 4am here and time to go to bed! :smile:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    395 free courses? I won't have time to breathe!
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love this! I've signed up for the one starting 15th July.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    395 free courses? I won't have time to breathe!

I know. It's awful. ;)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Just downloaded the first week of lectures to watch later. Looks really interesting.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    OMG I am LOVING this course. I didn't know it had started till last night & the assignments are due in like a day...so I watched all the lecture vids while working out. Very interesting stuff & I actually learnt things for once.

I have learnt how to control some 'cravings' and actually made my food taste better tonight. Gotta love a win like that. I'm not even hungry after dinner for once.