My NSV.

Options
Sooo, I know a lot of people choose to eat sugar and keep it a part of their daily lifestyle. But because it was SUCH a big hang up for me, I decided to get rid of it from my diet. I'm over a month sugar-free in terms of cupcakes, cake, cookies, etc. If sugar is naturally in bread or something, I can't avoid it.

I used to bake A LOT. My grandparents own a cake decorating store. I used to work for a youth group: so I would be the person to make birthday cakes and take them for the leaders and the kids. I liked the attention, but I really liked making stuff. Just like I enjoyed eating it.

A dear friend is having twins. So I was approached about making a cake for her impromptu shower. I was so excited to do the cake until I got home. How would I test how everything tasted? I made my dad do the tasting after I combined my buttercream with peanut butter. I baked her cake, didn't touch the batter. Iced the cake, didn't touch the icing. And after decorating, I didn't eat any of the remaining sugar decorations.

None of those might seem like very awesome victories or anything. But for me, that's a HUGE NSV.

This is the first time in a lifetime of dieting that I've had any success. No matter how small.

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I love baking too...just made brownies and managed to not taste the batter!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Sugar is my nemesis too. Self restraint can be really satisfying, sometimes!
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Overcoming a downfall is a HUGE victory. Way to go. That is awesome. That's very strong of you :)
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I know the feeling on sweets being hard to resist. Ive tried going sugar free the same way. I mostly have but have caved into a couple of things in the 2 month span, but have still lost :) I plan on making a birthday cake for a good friend next week and Im panicing on "tasting" a bit too much.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Nice will power. I do not have it in that regard. Whenever I make cookies, I always have to have a spoonful of the Creamed Butter/Sugar/Egg/Vanilla mix before adding in the flour.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I find that if I try anything with sugar, it leads to a binge. So I'm avoiding it until I can handle having just one of something. I explained it to my family as if it were an addiction. And they not only understood, but they've been incredibly supportive. With the exception of my sister, who can sit on the couch, eat four bags of chips, a pudding cup, and a Hershey bar and not gain an ounce.

I'm hoping that after several months of sugar free, I won't crave that stuff anymore. But I hear you on the tasting of the cookie mix, sullus. I used to eat more of the batter than got made in the past.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That's an AWESOME victory! :) I identify with a lot of what you said - I'm a baker-blogger, and a lot of that is tied up in my identity, in what I'm good at. Now, I find myself posting about healthier options and savoury things rather than sugar-filled baked goods. And last time I baked and tasted everything I felt really gross (I'd been eating fairly clean for about a month), so I think maybe I'll have to get others to do the tasting for me!
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Good job, I still have problems not tasting the batter when I bake but that is mainly because my baked goods usually go to other people now and I want to make sure they are getting quality. As far as commercially done baked goods, I won't eat them, not all that often anyway, usually just smell them and walk away.
  • dazydawn
    dazydawn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome NSV. I'm a total sugar addict. Not even a taste? EXCELLENT!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    awesome! I know how hard it is to overcome these triggers. I don't really bake anymore, but I have the problem when i cook - i am a great cook (she said modestly) and i cook a lot on the weekend so i'll have for the rest of the week but i end up "tasting" it as i go along...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!