Am I Making a Big Mistake Missing Lifting Sessions

Options
Hello,

Im trying to lose the last 10lbs or lose some body fat %. It's sooooo humid the last week that I haven't even worked out. I've been busting my *kitten* at work 8-10 hours a day (running back and forth from retail to plant carrying stuff and waiting on customers) and coming home to look after my 18 month old all in 35+ degree weather and soooo humid! I can't bare to go lift my weights at all this week in this weather. Am I going to lose all my progress by taking a week or two off of my heavy lifting. I finally have a day off tomorrow so im going to play and swim in the water with my boy at the beach!

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    No. U will be fine
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The only real issue is that it is easy for two weeks to become a month to become six months to become not working out. Provided that you are only taking a couple weeks off, there's no harm. Besides, rest is necessary, and a week or two off can give your body a chance to recuperate so you can hit it full speed when you start up again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Missing a few sessions never ruined anybody. Posting dozens of attention seeking threads however......
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Missing a few sessions never ruined anybody. Posting dozens of attention seeking threads however......

Yep, you are totally right :)
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's okay to take a week or two off once in a while. You'll be fine!
    I know I sometimes need it. Listen to your body but make sure it doesn't turn into 1-2-3 months off, like another poster said :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

This. Stop with the freaking excuses. There are people way busier who find the time and honestly the weather interrupting a lift session is a new one for me.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hello,

Im trying to lose the last 10lbs or lose some body fat %. It's sooooo humid the last week that I haven't even worked out. I've been busting my *kitten* at work 8-10 hours a day (running back and forth from retail to plant carrying stuff and waiting on customers) and coming home to look after my 18 month old all in 35+ degree weather and soooo humid! I can't bare to go lift my weights at all this week in this weather. Am I going to lose all my progress by taking a week or two off of my heavy lifting. I finally have a day off tomorrow so im going to play and swim in the water with my boy at the beach!

I think the real issue here is that you lift weights in the nude.....

Aside from that, is your gym not air-conditioned??
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Being honest, body fat is one of the hardest things to lose. If you skip a day of weight training it is fine. But don't go longer than 3 days or you will see a decrease in strength. You can also mix up your lifting by doing lighter weights with more reps. Endurance training is great when you don't feel like lifting heavy.

Swimming is great cardio as well =)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

This. Stop with the freaking excuses. There are people way busier who find the time and honestly the weather interrupting a lift session is a new one for me.

HEY YOU! I would LOVE to see u work 10 hours in a busy retail running back and forth carrying stuff, then heading home to cook supper and look after ur baby and clean up THEN lift weights in your home gym in a house that is about 30 degrees Celcius. Please - by all means!!!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Hello,

I think the real issue here is that you lift weights in the nude.....

Aside from that, is your gym not air-conditioned??

Why in the heck would u lift weights in the nude???? And no, I don't have AC in my home gym. Duh!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

HEY YOU! I would LOVE to see u work 10 hours in a busy retail running back and forth carrying stuff, then heading home to cook supper and look after ur baby and clean up THEN lift weights in your home gym in a house that is about 30 degrees Celcius. Please - by all means!!!!

It's still excuses ... I run around working retail all day to, come home to help make dinner and take care of the girls, then once they are in bed, head over to the gym to lift and the gym is easily 30 degrees by that time of day. Choose what is important to you.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    s) and coming home to look after my 18 month old all in 35+ degree weather and soooo humid! I can't bare to go lift my weights at all this week in this weather. Am I going to lose all my progress by taking a week or two off of my heavy lifting. I finally have a day off tomorrow so im going to play and swim in the water with my boy at the beach!
    35+ degree weather? It's like 85 and humid here, 35 really doesn't sound bad
    Edit:just realized you meant celcius
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    s) and coming home to look after my 18 month old all in 35+ degree weather and soooo humid! I can't bare to go lift my weights at all this week in this weather. Am I going to lose all my progress by taking a week or two off of my heavy lifting. I finally have a day off tomorrow so im going to play and swim in the water with my boy at the beach!
    35+ degree weather? It's like 85 and humid here, 35 really doesn't sound bad

Use a Celcous to Farenheit calculator, you'll see.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

It's still excuses ... I run around working retail all day to, come home to help make dinner and take care of the girls, then once they are in bed, head over to the gym to lift and the gym is easily 30 degrees by that time of day. Choose what is important to you.

Wow, good for you! Im glad u have the energy for that in the heat!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

Hey, I work 13+ hr shifts as a nurse on my feet all day lifting and moving obese and elderly people that are dead weight. Some of my work weeks are 60+ hrs. I'm still at the gym that's not air conditioned at 5:30 am. You think you are the only one who works or has kids let alone other duties? It's still an excuse. Go ahead and make all the excuses you want, but please refrain from coming back next week and making yet another thread about why this or that's not working. Your track history speaks for itself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

All the other single moms have managed to do it while holding down a job and taking care of kids by themselves. If they can do it, surely you and your husband can find a way
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Hey all! I am making it happen! I just take breaks sometimes - don't you guys? I don't go ever day making excuses now..... if I did that i would be fat as hell!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Hey, I work 13+ hr shifts as a nurse on my feet all day lifting and moving obese and elderly people that are dead weight. Some of my work weeks are 60+ hrs. I'm still at the gym that's not air conditioned at 5:30 am. You think you are the only one who works or has kids let alone other duties? It's still an excuse. Go ahead and make all the excuses you want, but please refrain from coming back next week and making yet another thread about why this or that's not working. Your track history speaks for itself.
    That's awesome! You have alot of energy! Do you have any diseases like diabetes or hypothyroid too? Sometimes I use these for excuses. Not sure if i should be though.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I work OUTSIDE in the heat, all day long. I work FOUR jobs right now. I also go to school in the evenings. I still find time to go to the gym (which is 25 mins from my house), and cook for myself. I have also dealt with multiple health issues in the past year, and that never stopped me either.

I agree with the others about excuses. Also, if you were really looking for advice or opinions, losing the sarcasm would help.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

That's awesome! You have alot of energy! Do you have any diseases like diabetes or hypothyroid too? Sometimes I use these for excuses. Not sure if i should be though.

No I don't but I have been there too, reaching for every reason not to do something. I have things that I physically and mentally struggle with and have to battle too. Most people do, no one has perfect circumstances. That's why I'm trying to get to you about it. Somedays I don't have energy, somedays the last thing I want to do is write my workouts up or log my day but I also know I am the only one who holds me accountable for my actions, my successes and my failures. Sure we all take breaks and also fall down, it's freaking life. But I will be damned if I will blame someone or something for what I have complete control over. I understand you have conditions, there are many on this site that struggle with the same thing. There are people struggling with worse things too. You just have to bring the right attitude to the game. If you come in with every single negative aspect what else are you going to expect in return?