Question About Personal Trainer

Options
Hi, I am just starting back on my weight loss journey and I recently joined a gym and got a personal trainer. I have had five sessions with her so far and I will be going to her 2x per week for 30 min each time. I am having a slight problem with how I feel about her though. I have tried to go out of my way by sending her a thank you note after my first 4 sessions explaining how much I appreciate her help and how much I want to make this a life style change and expressing how I really need accountability. She has said nothing about the note and doesn't acknowledge me when I see her in the gym on days that I don't have a training session with her. I have asked her if we are going to set goals and talk about how to achieve them and she has not answered that or she just avoids the question. My last session with her was on July 4th and afterwards I asked her about supplements and nutrition and she stated that she would send me some information. I emailed her on Saturday to ask for it again since I hadn't received it and I still haven't heard from her.

I really want a trainer that is going to keep me accountable and help me set goals. Maybe check in with me every now and again to see how my week is going and if I am working out and eating right. It would also be nice if she would see me in the gym and just say something like "Glad you're here...keep up the good work".

Am I expecting/asking too much? How should I handle it? I just feel like if I am paying her 220 per month that I should be getting more.

Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If that were me, she'd be replaced. There's no way I would pay $220 a month for someone like that. I just hired a trainer too and had my first session with him this morning. I can tell we will get along great. He jokes around, pushes me, and it goes by so fast. It's not her job to talk to you when you're not training, but there's no reason for her to no acknowledge you unless she is busy with another client.

It sounds like you are being ignored. It is her job to help you set goals and a good trainer would make the effort to check-in with you if they see you at the gym. That's how they keep clients; it's sales/customer service 101.

FYI, some gyms don't allow PT to give out info on supplements for liability issues, so she can get a pass on that one.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good trainer would help you with supplements and basic nutrition, of course unless that is not permitted by gym she works. And yes I think it's a trainer's job to call or email client once in a while to find out what progress they have been doing and how your body reacts to diet and training. Or ask questions eye to eye if you actually meet and train together.
    I would rather pay a little more and get a trainer who actually finds out things about my body and how it reacts and then adjusts training as necessary than just puts you on some kind generic training plan what you might as well find on google... I think that you should get a new one.
    I'm not good at price, you should probably do research market and find out about realistic expectations what you can get for that price. That's something you should do and ask trainer before hiring them anyways.

As for being nice and setting goals. No, I do not think trainers job is to be your friend. "Good day" when passing by at gym is minimum yous should expect but not much more than that either. She get's paid to give you results not to be your buddy. I also do not think that setting goals should be something she is obligated to do, if you want her to train you you should already have vision of what you wanna achieve. But that depends from what kind of trainer you get, some does not do that and some does, again, you should find out before hiring them...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    She doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Nothing wrong with that. Different people need different things and different trainers provide different things. Find a trainer that fits your needs.
  • wiebelnancy
    wiebelnancy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would definately try to find someone else. A trainer should be helpful and motivating, not someone who ignores you. There are great trainers out there. Don't get discouraged with yourself because of this person. Good luck!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Ditch her. In my opinion, you don't need a personal trainer. As far as diet and nutrition goes, once you get your calories and your macros set right, all you have to do is log your food and hit your calorie and macro goals, you don't need a cookie cutter nutrition plan. As far as the personal trainer for the gym, there are countless workout plans for beginners online that you can follow, and youtube videos that show you correct form for every exercise, don't waste your money.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Drop her like a hot potato! She is not meeting your needs, nor does she sound very professional. Trainers are worth their weight in gold when you find the right fit. Keep looking, there are lots of great ones out there that will help you. Best of luck.
  • keatsgeckos
    Options
    I agree. Something is off here. I have a great relationship with my trainer. I work hard, she works me hard and works hard with me. She responds to emails, waves hi when I'm at the gym. We laugh and crack jokes. Since she's the total package in terms of what I need, I find I work hard to meet goals and push myself with her. It would be harder if she were distant and I'm not sure I'd be able to trust her with the new and harder stuff we are adding now. My 2 cents.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ditch her. In my opinion, you don't need a personal trainer. As far as diet and nutrition goes, once you get your calories and your macros set right, all you have to do is log your food and hit your calorie and macro goals, you don't need a cookie cutter nutrition plan. As far as the personal trainer for the gym, there are countless workout plans for beginners online that you can follow, and youtube videos that show you correct form for every exercise, don't waste your money.

I used to believe this, until I hired a trainer today. Depending on your goals, a trainer can be beneficial. My trainer had me do supersets that I probably wouldn't have come up with by researching alone. I got a better workout in 30 minutes with him than I would on my own. If you are only going to a trainer that watches you on machines or just hands you dumbbells then yes, I can see how it's a waste, but the point of having a trainer for some is the creativity.

It's also great to have someone watch my form when lifting heavy and I can't jump up on my own to the pull up bar on the cable machine; I need someone to lift me and it's weird to ask. :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Before you drop her, I would encourage you to talk to her about it. It's possible that she's got valid reasons for not sending you the email like she said. And as far as this goes...
    She has said nothing about the note and doesn't acknowledge me when I see her in the gym on days that I don't have a training session with her.
    ...as long as you're not interrupting her or trying to get her attention if she's with a client or talking to another trainer or gym staff, then this is pretty rude of your trainer as well. If anything your appearance in a gym on an off-day, along with your questions about nutrition, are making her job easier. She should be appreciative. Haha!

If you find her explanations to be weak, then just tell her that you think she's not a good fit for you. If she asks why, just tell her that you're looking for someone who's a bit more supportive and willing to spend a few minutes to acknowledge a greeting or pass on information. I would want to tell her this because this is probably her livelihood. And it could help her become better at doing her job. And based on her reaction, you will know if you made a good choice. If she get defensive or sarcastic, then you know you're making the right call. If she doesn't seem to care about it, then again, you made the right call. If she seems legitimately apologetic and makes an attempt to be more encouraging, then you can give her a second chance. It might be the type of thing that not only cements a professional relationship, but builds a personal relationship.

My first trainer was going through a messy divorce. And while she was not like what you described above, there were times where her real world issues were creeping into sessions. I talked to her about a couple of things that were bugging me, and she was really appreciative. And I went on to have a many more productive sessions with her.

Whatever you choose to do, keep up the great effort and good luck!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Not a fit; move on. You're after a higher level of engagement than this trainer is prepared to offer.