Replies

• challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Great ideas..bump :)
  • PeachyFit
    PeachyFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a filling, low-cal recipe for those days when I am hungry but don't have a ton of calories left. I came across this soup and when I made it (with jarred veggie broth) it came out to less than 100 calories per huge 2-cup serving, and it's quite filling. I've been eating it for lunch with a Wasa and some hummus, which comes out to less than 300 calories total.

http://www.food.com/recipe/super-healthy-green-soup-432487

(I like mustard, so I doubled the amount of mustard. It's really good.)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi Lowdog, I found this today - it's a British celebrity chef called Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall who says his daughter invented it - my version here for 2, comes in at 276 cals each (plus maybe some sliced ripe tomatoes or salad with it).

Sardine Omelette

3 eggs
    I tin of sardines (125g tin - 88g drained)
    I onion (Hugh says shallots, but he's posh!)
    I use a tiny bit of butter to cook it in - knock some calories off if you use something else.

chop up the onion finely, whisk the eggs (I add a splash of water), open and drain the sardines, and break them up with a fork, heat the pan, toss in the eggs, onions, sardine flakes, and cook as any other omelette. Excellent with juicy red vine ripened sliced tomatoes!
  • lowdog5
    lowdog5 Posts: 33
    Options
    All of these are GREAT PEOPLE! Thank you so much...I have lots of new recipies to try out......Again....Thanks for all the Inputs!!!! Happy Dieting!!!!..........(41LBS later).....YEA!!!!!
  • AdrianasMombieED
    AdrianasMombieED Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Most soups are generally around 250 calories - even the lazy "out of a can" ones.

One of my favourites is this Thai Chicken Noodle soup: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/soups/thai-chicken-noodle-soup/

With the ingredients I used, it came to 261 calories per serve, but yours might be different.

Soups!! Love them and also eggs make a good meal
  • phard53
    phard53 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    love these low cal recipes
  • swisseler
    swisseler Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I often look on the Bon Appetite and Epicurious websites for low calorie, but satisfying dishes. I just made this last night and it was spectacular: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2012/08/pasta-salad-with-melon-pancetta-and-ricotta-salata
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My bf and I have used MFP for 327 days now. He is at 80lbs and myself at 25lbs lost. Darn guys lose so fast compared to women! Ha. We're both less than 15 lbs from our final goals! Anyway, I have been carefully calculating and cooking our food the whole time. This is a recipe that he eats for lunch almost every day. I make a big batch Sunday night and he eats it all week ... and the best part is that it tastes fried and isn't! Enjoy :)

Buffalo Chicken

Cut up boneless skinless chicken breast into bite size pieces and put into a large size ziplock baggie with Frank's Red Hot Sauce to coat. I marinate at least through the day. Toss with whole wheat bread crumbs right in the bag - I don't use a lot. They are low calorie and if you use the whole wheat you can feel a little better about it.
    Spread onto sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12 minutes, then flip and bake for another 12, or until crispy enough for your liking.

One 4oz serving of the chicken is approx 110 calories, the hot sauce is 0, and the bread crumbs are minimal. I eat one serving and he eats two with a side for a meal. I make a large batch and weigh it out into smaller containers so it's quick to grab - no excuses to eat something unhealthy because nothing is prepared and you're short on time!!

Good luck on your journey :-)
    This sounds AWESOME!!!
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    As for canned soup, well you can always add vegetables to it to bulk it out. Even just the frozen mixed veg or peas or chopped up spinach. Then one can of soup becomes 2 or 3 proper servings. You should also check the labels for soups: Quite a few soups are about 250-300 calories for the whole can. Aldi has very low calorie soups (the pumpkin soup has 80 calories for the whole container!! admittedly it's only a small bowl of soup, but two of those is 160 calories!!).
  • lauraodonnell86
    lauraodonnell86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This sounds amazing!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I love lentil tacos:

Cook 182g lentils according to package
    Add 7g McCormick's taco seasoning (or seasonings of your choice) and about 1/4 cup water; simmer until thick
    You'll use about 1/6 of the mixture for two tacos, which is 112 calories. Serve on two lightly grilled small corn tortillas (~100 calories), top with a little diced tomato (~10 calories), and you still have room for very thinly sliced cheddar and/or a little light sour cream or Greek yogurt to come in under 300 calories.

I also like bacon quesadillas:
    2 small corn tortillas ~100cal
    2 strips turkey bacon (I actually use one, as they're way too long for the tortillas) ~70cal (~35cal for one)
    1 slice sharp cheddar (I use pre-sliced from Wal-Mart for 80cal; just be sure to weigh/measure if you slice your own)
    Fry up your bacon, layer it between tortillas with the cheese, grill lightly on each side until cheese is just melted. Slice into eights and dip into salsa -- or add some diced tomatoes & red pepper flakes to the quesadilla and dip into sour cream or Greek yogurt!

Slice a tomato (~25-50cal, make sure to weigh) into wedges so that it's all still connected at the bottom (like a flower); mix 150g tuna (150cal) with some finely diced pickled beets (a little goes a long way, maybe 15g), dill relish to taste, a teaspoon of mayo, and just the barest hint of nutmeg; scoop the tuna mixture into the center of the tomato, drizzle with lemon juice. Approximately 230 calories; serve on a bed of greens or with a side of quinoa.

Take a light English muffin (100cal); spread thinly with your favorite mustard; top with 50g deli turkey (45cal), 1oz Muenster cheese (100cal), a halved tomato slice (~5cal), and a halved sharp onion slice (~5cal); place all under broiler until muffin is crisp and cheese is melty. Have 100g broccoli on the side.
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    I have a BUNCH of 300 cal and below meal ideas up on my blog if you are interested- SeeStephRun.com

My last recipe was Roasted Eggplant and Lentil Salad- http://www.seestephrun.com/2013/07/01/slack-and-roasted-eggplant-lentil-salad/
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Egg white and turkey muffins are great breakfast options and are super low in calories, just line a muffin pan with 1-2 slices of thin turkey, add 3 T of flavored egg whites, bake @ 400 for ~12 minutes. 2 have only 110 calories. Plus you can make a bunch and then just nuke them in the mornings or whenever you want a little protein snack.

I find it's easiest to just find the recipes you like and substitute where you can. I use zucchini instead of pasta, I add spinach to practically all of my recipes to beef up the servings without adding a ton of calories, and I buy the frozen chicken tenderloins and only use one or two of them instead of grabbing a whole chicken breast. I save between 4-6 ounces that way, so even though it's a bit more expensive that way, I eat less and the 2.5# bag lasts longer than a 2.5# bag of breasts.

I'm also addicted to the Panera sesame salad dressing. I can eat a homemade salad with 1 serving of the dressing and then just whatever veggies I have on hand and protein if it's available, and it's under 300 calories and I haven't gotten sick of it yet!
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump! This sounds yummy!
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump... love these low cal recipe ideas!