How do YOU log insanity to MFP w/ no HRM

I do not have an HRM yet and i have been doing Insanity for over a week now. I have been logging it as what i saw someone on my FL was logging it as. But I am not sure if its accurate for me but i know i will not know for sure unless i get an HRM ( I plan to just not in my budget right now) So if you are doing or have done Insanity without and HRM what did you log it into MFP as?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I think some enter it as calisthenics.
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    NoExcusesAllProgress Posts: 159 Member
    For now, I just log is as Calisthenics. Probably not the most accurate, but gives a basic idea.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    When I did Insanity I used to log half the time as "Elliptical Trainer" and the other half the time as "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort"

Then when I got my HRM and tried it out...it ended up being pretty close to what I had been logging.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    You don't need a monitor. You can measure your pulse for 10 seconds periodically throughout the workout to get a general idea.
    Then you can guess your calories too :-) It's just an estimate, obviously, but I hear HRM aren't that accurate anyway.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Ok, thats what i have been doing. It says ive been burning over 500 calories. I knew it would be up there but it almost seems like a lot!! lol Thanks!! :)
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    I check my pulse for 10 seconds and add it up when i take breaks. I never knew how to actually calculate it into cals burned though, Thanks for the link!! :) That calculator says i burn around 375 cals.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    WE ON THE SAME PAGE, I DONT HAVE AN HRM EITHER, I USUALLY GO TO 'THE EXCERSICE' AND CHOOSE THE Aerobics, high impact AND stretching, hatha yoga for the warm ups and stretching parts and i just see how much calories are burned and then do "my excersise" and put the name of the dvd, how many min. and the calrioes burned manuelly
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    I have another one for you. I don't know how accurate this is, but I like the VO2 max calculator. You can get your VO2 max at the below link, then get a more precise calorie count from the link on my earlier post, in the "known VO2max calculator" that you see if you scroll down :-) I just think these are kind fun.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

The calorie calculators give a good sense of accomplishment and help with logging your exercise. But I think the most important thing with Insanity is to go all out (without hurting yourself) and make sure your are huffing and puffing through most of the workout. It's interval training, so your HR is supposed to go up and down anyway.