looking for vegan friends

Options
I'm new to the vegan lifestyle, I'd like to have a few friends as well as support and more info, recipes, and where to purchase vegan foods. Thanks.

Replies

• sadielankford
    sadielankford Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :) I'm a pescetarian. Good luck with your journey!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank-you!
  • sarahelizabeth2276
    sarahelizabeth2276 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm slowly transitioning into the vegan lifestyle! Feel free to add me; the more friends the merrier!
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been a vegan for nearly four years! Please let me know if you need any help with anything.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Not full vegan. I have been a non meat eater for 16 years but not in a strict sense meaning I would eat food prepared with meat, ie pot pie and I just don't eat the chicken pieces. I have recently been told to forgo wheat and dairy...although I was told that I could have goat's cheese and unpasteurized milk. Since then I have been leaning toward more vegan options all the time. I would like to follow your journey.
  • KimLovesDon
    Options
    Well, it's only my third day of being totally vegan. I think I'm doing okay so far. I did get a B complex vitamin supplement today. Tried spinach and artichoke hummus with tortilla chips. Soooooooo good! And the Yves soy bologna is fantastic! Must say I'm loving this! Haven't found the egg substitute I've heard about yet. But I can always have cereal for breakfast.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck in your journey!
    I'm a vegetarian (ok, pescetarian, I occasionally eat a little fish!) and lactose intolerant, so low on the dairy! Feel free to add me if you want.

As for egg substitue, I know that Whole Foods sells one but i haven't tried it yet. I think it's more for baking though? I heard you can also sub apple sauce for eggs in baking, I tried it once though and didn't have much success but I may of done something wrong!
    For making eggs for breakfast, I usually use tofu instead! I've been eating this so much that I've started to prefer it to eggs (which I do still eat but try to cut down). It's a pretty basic recipe and only uses a few spices, you can skip the nutritional yeast if you don't have it... but if you're going the vegan route I recommend it! It's sodium free, 20 cals a tablespoon & adds 3 grams of protein.
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi there, vegan for about 3 months now and it's the best decision I ever made. I have the egg substitute but haven't used it yet, and I'm pretty sure it is just for baking. I also LOVE my tofu scrambles! Whatever veggies I have, throw it in with some crumbled tofu and nooch (nutritional yeast, a must have!) and then add some salsa on top, yum!

Always looking for new friends, especially new vegan friends since I don't have anyone near me that is vegan. And let's be honest, many people just don't get it, which makes me sad. Being more of the ethical vegan I haven't focused too much on the weight loss lately, but I definitely NEED to! I figured I wanted to figure out how to survive vegan first then once I get it, I can focus on the rest.
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yay! Vegan power! I've been vegan for two years and was vegetarian for fifteen years before that. I haven't (knowingly) eaten meat, fish, gelatin, animal stock, etc...since I was ten years old I love being vegan; it's made me happy and inspired me to do a lot of cooking. Not sure if you want to replace eggs for breakfast or in baking, but I also like tofu as a replacement for scrambled eggs, and even for quiches, frittatas, and egg salad. Tempeh is another good high protein food that can be made into bacon, sausage crumbles, or a scramble for breakfast. Beans for breakfast are good too! Let me know if you need any advice.
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here. Though I really don't eat that much dairy; except cheese of course, and thats only once in a while. Check out my recipes if you want. I believe most of then should be vegan friendly.
  • KimLovesDon
    Options
    Where do I find nutritional yeast? GNC? My choices are very limited because I live in a small southern town. If I can't get it at Walmart, I have to make a special trip (300 miles, round trip) to get it. The good part is, the local farmers market has a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in season.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not fully vegan, as I still eat some goat dairy and eggs (I was transitioning to being vegan when I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease, so am focusing more on getting rid of gluten, in all honesty). I eat a good number of vegan foods though.

My blog for lunches if you're looking for some ideas is http://veggiebentolove.wordpress.com. I have no ads, so don't make a cent if you visit or not (by choice). You can click on the vegan category in my cloud at the top right of the home page.

Feel free to add me, and I will support you in your ethical choices :)
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Where do I find nutritional yeast? GNC? My choices are very limited because I live in a small southern town. If I can't get it at Walmart, I have to make a special trip (300 miles, round trip) to get it. The good part is, the local farmers market has a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in season.

I'm not sure if nutritional yeast is something GNC would have. I get nutritional yeast at my local natural foods store, and places like Whole Foods and food coops have it. It's usually in the bulk bins section with the nuts and grains. Some stores might carry it prepackaged, like Red Star brand. Maybe it'd be with the seasonings? I live in a reasonably metropolitan area (Cleveland, OH) and many of the large and well-stocked conventional super markets here don't carry it, so you migh be out of luck. You might consider ordering it online if you really want to have some. I know some vegans abroad do that.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I still eat organic, farm raised hen eggs. But no other dairy whatsoever. Feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I am a lacto-ovo-vegetarian but I love veganism as a life style^^ feel free to add me
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a gluten-free vegetarian. Vegetarian for 17 years, recently cut out dairy but still eat eggs and honey. Gluten-free for 2 years. Trying to eat a more whole foods diet and cut the sugar and grains. Feel free to add me, I have a great vegan recipes I can point you to (some are in my recipe diary)
  • jazmin1028
    Options
    I'm a gluten-free vegan, and I'm loving every second of it. Anyone who said a lifestyle like this had to be miserable or boring had the wrong idea, or attitude. It's all about being positive, creative, and receiving support. The life of a vegan naturally becomes embraced far beyond dietary aspects, but into physical and mental ones. Its a great experience to be vegan and a lot of fun having yummy satisfying vegan meals! You know its good when you give it to an omnivore and they say, "This is vegan?!?!"
  • KimLovesDon
    Options
    I was eating dinner yesterday at work, and offered some to one of my coworkers. She took a bite and said "That's really good! Are you sure it's vegan? ":laugh: :ohwell:
  • JussyD89
    JussyD89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian before turning vegan. I have never had red meat in my life.
    I have tried chicken, bacon and seafood.
    I have been vegan for 4 years. I am also the black sheep in my family and friends since they eat meat very often.. being European.
  • pinkstargem
    pinkstargem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've been vegan 14 years now (I'm 32) and was veggie from being 14.

If I can help at all I'm happy to.