Getting Engaged & Proposing

Options
JNick77
JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
I've decided to propose to my girlfriend and even bought the ring already, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Does it have to be something super clever or creative? What if it was just simple?

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    jumbotron at a sporting event....

FO SHO!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!

But, if you must....your penguin suit is mighty nice!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some people have the fairy tale romantic stories to tell, and others have the "we went to the store together and bought the ring and that was that" story to tell. Lol Do something based on your relationship and your personalities. My husband did not do it in a romantic way, but our story is hilarious and just completely *us*..quirky. He had just picked up the ring from the jeweler and couldn't wait to give it to me, so he gave it to me before we had to go to a college class we were both taking together, and the way he went about it was just funny. But we have a funny story to tell, and we're happily married almost 3 years later! :) Good luck and congrats to you both!! :)
  • soonerkt87
    soonerkt87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    what is something that she really likes to do? there are tons of ideas online but try to make it about her :-)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_maf6j47Cie1rgf5oto1_400.gif
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Simple is nice.It depends on your girlfriend's personality really. Does she like surprises?
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Make her propose to you....like a boss.
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    It really depends on the two of you. I am a simple person and wouldn't really enjoy an elaborate surprise. What is she like??
  • detailernick
    Options
    Had all the grand plans of proposing to my now wife, but I mentioned it to her daughter who like most children could not keep a secret if it meant saving her life. :D

She let the cat out of the bag by getting all excited asking (in front of us both) when I was going to ask her.

Simple is best though, my plan was simple but nice.
  • JNick77
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!

But, if you must....your penguin suit is mighty nice!

LOL, I'll take that into consideration. But it's definitely too hot in Vegas for a penguin to be walking around.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just got all super giddy for her. Is that weird lol? Just take into consideration the type of woman your soon to be fiancé is and plan your proposal around that. Maybe incorporate something she loves into it. It just has to be memorable to HER.

I feel bad for the guy who's going to propose to me. I'm high maintenance as hell.........then again I'm only 27 so no need to think too hard about that.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    just hand her the ring wrapped up in a pre-nup.
  • JNick77
    Options
    It really depends on the two of you. I am a simple person and wouldn't really enjoy an elaborate surprise. What is she like??

She does like surprises and her BF told me that she has no idea and I trust her friend. It doesn't need to be elaborate by any means, she likes things to be simple too. I don't think I could do it in public because that kinda adds pressure to the moment. One of her friends said to do it in front of her family... Granted, I love her family but I don't think I could do that without quite a bit of alcohol in me.
  • JNick77
    Options
    just hand her the ring wrapped up in a pre-nup.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know what's funny, is that not only are we pretty darn compatible together; we also make roughly the same amount of money each year. Salary wise she makes more but my bonus puts me slightly ahead. LOL
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do it somewhere special to you guys. My Finace proposed at the Nubble Light house in Maine. It was beautiful! I cry whenever I go there now. Yes I am a sap.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just ask her. Don't do any of that cliched crap - down on one knee, hide the ring in food/drink, at a huge public even where she'll look like a moron if she says no.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    What is her favorite activity or hobby. Incorporate the proposal into that.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options

This, completely. I hope you know what matters to the person, and go by that--otherwise, why get married? These days I find that once someone does something original online, soon everyone in the netverse knows about it and copies it, and that seems like a shame since then people don't necessarily feel original or special to themselves. Good luck knowing what suits your person and doing it--
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Get naked in front of her and have it tied around...

Well yea , that should work plus you're already ready for the celebration lovin...

You can check YouTube and get some idea's. I agree with everyone else it depends on ya'll. One thing to do is maybe go to where you met her for the first time and do the whole knee thing wherever it is.

You could always do The Big Bang Theory and ask during sex...

I mean the possibilities are endless