When "good fats" take up my entire daily allotment

Options
Today is my first day logging my food and trying to get the hang of keeping track of *everything.* I eat a lot of "good" fats (nuts, avocados, etc) which is plowing through my daily 45g of daily fat allotment. My blood sugar gets funky if I don't eat these high protein things and I'm wondering how others have adjusted their daily plans, etc?

Replies

• StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I take the high fat/low carb approach. I would rather have all these good fats from coconut oil, nuts, avocados,etc - then carbs from sugar & grains. Everyone's bodies handle nutrients differently and I know mine works better with fats than carbs. I would rather use the fats to burn energy than carb up to burn energy.
  • courtneyfreitag
    courtneyfreitag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Stacy. Do you manually change your settings or just track your food on your own? I like very much how MFP is showing me what's coming in and definitely is eye-opening. But again, 1/2 cup of almonds ate up (literally!) 75% of my fat allotment for the day or something...
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    The default macros kind of suck. I'm not on any low carb diet, but I still changed the macros to lower carbs and increase fat and protein. I'm currently running a 40/30/30 macro ratio (fat/carbs/protein). After some experimenting, I found that I felt much more energetic throughout the day when I increased my fat and protein intake. There's no evidence that it helps with weight loss; I just feel better.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I customized my macro settings: minimum of 130g protein and 68g fat. The rest is carbs, or more fat/protein. I normally eat 80-100g of delicious fat a day.