Heart Rate Monitors??

Options
I am in the market for a heart rate monitor and to be honest I think I could come to the same conclusion by simply banging my head against the wall! There are so many of them with endless reviews going both ways. I currently have one that has always been a bit of a pain. I don't think completely stopping for up to a minute in the middle of a workout is very effective! Does anyone have one that they have been using for awhile that they love? I'm not asking for much here I just want to know how many calories my workouts are burning. :)

Replies

• ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Polar FT4 :) It's high end enough to give you a good calorie burn count yet low end enough that the price is very affordable. I got mine on Amazon for $60 I think... comes in Gray and Pink.
  • Sweigartk
    Sweigartk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Do you ever have trouble getting a reading?
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ive had three Polar HRMS. I had a FT4 a FT7 and a FT40F which I LOVE! They are worth every penny. I know many people who have stuck with the FT4 and they love it. Im just a geek who loves fitness gadgets so I keep upgrading.,

If you wet the strap a little where the sensor is on the chest strap you will never have a problem getting readings.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Polar FT4 :) It's high end enough to give you a good calorie burn count yet low end enough that the price is very affordable. I got mine on Amazon for $60 I think... comes in Gray and Pink.

2nd this! I have the pink one, love it
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Another polar F4 user here (plus Hubby has one too). Love mine. The only thing I've had to replace in the last 15 months is the battery in the strap. Very reliable and easy to use.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    got my Polar FT4 last week :happy: i love it to bits already!

i thought i was burning 270 cals (stoopid treadmill) ...today the HRM said i burned 328 cals..woot!

mine is the pink one. Got it from Amazon for $60 and free shipping. the strap fits perfectly..comfy fit. M-XXL size ( thats the standard size they ship.

*edited for typos due to my over-excitedness at my new Polar..lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it's pretty good. Just a tip: do -30% to the calorie burn given before recording it to MFP to account for inaccuracies.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Polar FT 7 about a week ago and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it and it was super simple to set up (took like 5 minutes_).
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin that syncs up with my Forerunner 210 watch. I love it. It gives really accurate readings and I have yet to see any sort of abnormal activity from it. :)
  • Sweigartk
    Sweigartk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all so much! :)
  • kellydPugh
    Options
    In my opinion, Polar is the best... Ive used them for awhile. I have a ton of clients and friends that use them they love them :) Also inexpensive...Good Luck!
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Polar 4t owner for about a year And LOVE IT! Best purchase ever along with my FITBIT!
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I use it for walking and being in the gym. I used if for the first time this morning whilst swimming laps. Had no issues at all with it getting a reading in the pool.
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 last week. LOVE IT!!!
  • laprobertson
    Options

THIS
    It works very well.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i use one with the garmin 610. i like it a lot... only issue i have found is if there is more then one hrm within 3 feet when you turn it on, it doesnt know which one to choose.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT4, and moved up to the Polar FT40. There's a few more functions that I use on the new one that the other didn't have, and the strap on the FT4 doesn't compare to the FT40. No more missed readings or screw ups!!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    i use one with the garmin 610. i like it a lot... only issue i have found is if there is more then one hrm within 3 feet when you turn it on, it doesnt know which one to choose.

Once you do have it synced, do you have any issues with staying with your readings, or does it veer off and start reading someone else s?
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM for intentional exercise logging & a Jawbone UP activity monitor to calculate TDEE. I love them both.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a small wrist, so the unisex ones are too big for me. I have the New Balance N4 women's HRM with chest strap. It was purchased new in Jan 2012. Once in a while I have to reset it completely because it will pick up some interference from a transformer in the area where I would walk, but its been super.

I bought mine at Target and probably paid $69 on sale. I have the white watch, but they have other colors now, I bought a berry colored one as a backup, but it's still in the box waiting for the other one to crap out.