New to Running

Options
ademiter
ademiter Posts: 176 Member
Hi all! I am new to this running thing, but I have found that I really enjoy it. I began running the first week of June and I usually run about 10-12 miles a week (and working on increasing that). I am gearing up for my first 5k this weekend and then another at the end of the month. I'm so excited! I have a few friends that are runners, but would love to have more! I would love to add a few runner friends to help keep me motivated! Also, I welcome advice from seasoned runners about the do's and don'ts of running! :) I would love to hear some of the weightloss running routines/eating plan that many of you have tried.

Replies

• TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been running a little less than a year and have done 2 5ks. Absolutely addicted to it and wish my crazy life would allow more time to train. Hoping to do a few more 5ks and a 10k in the fall. I'm trying to eat as best I can, but tracking calories is just not for me. I eat pretty clean as I cook almost all of our meals. I would love to hear from other runners and tips, suggestions on eating plans and such.

I just ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill and it felt great after not working out all holiday weekend. Busy with family bbqs, kids, and friends. But hoping to get back on track and get back to running 4 miles and then increase as the weeks go by.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, though it's not my primary exercise. I usually run for a little extra something after work when I have energy to burn. I run 3+ miles (my max is 8), at 10 min/mile pace, most of the time. I haven't done any races yet, though I did sign up for a 5K mud run in August. My running plan is pretty simple. I either set a goal (run 3 miles, see how fast I can do it) or just go for a run and do it until I can't do it anymore. If I am setting a goal, I plot out where I will run before. If I am not setting a goal, I will just go out. I have streets I normally go down, so each time I attempt to go a little farther. Adding a side street here, going a little farther down a street there. I don't have a fitbit, and don't want to use up tons of data running using those tracking apps, so I have a timer going for my run, then use a website (runningmap.com) to track where I ran manually. I then calculate my minutes/mile on there, though I am pretty consistently at 10 min/mile.

My eating routine is essentially anything. I count calories, watch my macros (though don't follow it religiously), and eat whatever I feel like. I never eat before I run, I have to wait at least 2 hours. I just drink some water and start running. I work out harder on an empty stomach, not sure why.

If you, or anyone else in this thread wants to add me, feel free!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been running regularly 20+ miles a week for about a year. I've run lots of 5ks, 1 10k, 2 half marathons and I have a third coming up.

I run 4 days a week (struggling to add a 5th day, the 5th day causes me injuries) 2 easy days, 1interval day and 1 long run of 8 -13 miles.

I do body weight strength training now too because though I lost 15lbs from running, I didn't look the way I want to look. It is helping and I heard strength training also helps with running but I can't tell that for sure.

Anyway, anyone can add me.
  • soonerkt87
    soonerkt87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I recently started running and I am doing the couch to 5k, I am on week two...I have never been a runner so figured I would try something new :-)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I miss running sometimes, but I just can't do it with my job (5 hours of commuting a day plus 9 hour minimum days kind of limit time for running). Couch to 5k is an awesome program. Good luck on your 5k! You'll do great!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year and a half - I am currently training for a triathlon and I want to complete a half marathon this year. Feel free to add me :)
  • JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    Options
    I am an ex-smoker and started running in 2010 to help me to quit smoking. I started out using the C25K app and could hardly run 30 seconds at a time! I have ran on and off since then, but have been a regular runner for about a year now! And still no smoking!

I now run 5ks regularly and will be running my first 10k in 2 weeks, and my first 1/2 marathon in October. I still have a love/hate relationship with it (being excited to run and then dreading it at the same time! haha!) but with the 1/2 marathon training schedule, I'm running 4-7 miles 4-5 times a week. My mileage increases weekly. I hope to be able to run 10 miles comfortably on a regular weekly basis... but I'm not quite there yet :)
  • ademiter
    Options
    So glad to have a bunch of new friends!! Thanks for responding and I look forward to our "running" journey together! :)
  • ademiter
    Options
    I am an ex-smoker and started running in 2010 to help me to quit smoking. I started out using the C25K app and could hardly run 30 seconds at a time! I have ran on and off since then, but have been a regular runner for about a year now! And still no smoking!

I now run 5ks regularly and will be running my first 10k in 2 weeks, and my first 1/2 marathon in October. I still have a love/hate relationship with it (being excited to run and then dreading it at the same time! haha!) but with the 1/2 marathon training schedule, I'm running 4-7 miles 4-5 times a week. My mileage increases weekly. I hope to be able to run 10 miles comfortably on a regular weekly basis... but I'm not quite there yet :)

You should be SO proud of yourself! :)
  • cdjohnson1966
    Options
    I have started the C25K program. I am on week 2 day 3. I am amazed at how each time I do a little better. I have never been a runner before. What can help with a sore knee. I may have been running to much to begin. I was actually doing it every other day instead of 2 times a week. My knee felt sore Saturday later in the day after my run that morning. I haven't run yet today. It does feel better but thought I would give myself one more day before hitting the pavement again. Any suggestions? Maybe better running shoes?
  • ademiter
    Options
    Gonna look into better running shoes myself!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm been running for a few years. So feel free to add me. Did track in high school and it's kind of always been my preferred form of exercise. I didn't really get into distance until a couple years ago. My first race was a 10-miler in September. Since then I've done 3 half marathons (should be more but I got injured) and a 10k. Next 10k is in a couple weeks. I'm currently training for my first marathon in October and I have several races coming up before that.

As far as running shoes go, I suggest going to a running store to have them analyze your gait. From there they'll be able to suggest the best type of shoe for you.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi Runner Friend. I've been running for the past year and love it! My longest run so far- 18 miles. I average 20-40 miles/week. Trying to improve my pace and consistency. Working toward 2 half-marathons and a marathon this fall. I welcome any and all runner friends. The more the merrier :) Feel free to add me!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Just getting geared up for my first marathon in October.

If you wanted a group try http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13157-from-plodders-to-sprinters