Toning that Tummy After Children

Options
So my son is 16 months old and while I am officially at my wedding weight, I am left with a bit of loose skin around my tummy. There is still fat to be lost and I am continuing my journey of tightening. However, any mothers out there that had a similar problem and have since gotten rid of it? I don't want to think about a tummy tuck or anything drastic at this time...especially since there may be one more baby down the road. However, it does concern me that all of my hard work will show off everywhere but my stomach. I currently do a plethora of exercises, ranging for circuit training with weights (heavy lifting) and cardio. I also follow a new lifestyle of better eating choices (no fast food/crap unless I want it).

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Time and patience unfortunately. My youngest just turned 21 months, her big sister is 3 1/4. My abs are just starting to show, although I find it funny that you can still tell which side both girls hung out on while I was pregnant. Yes, I still have a bit of a lower belly pooch (visible in one of the pics on my profile), but I'll happily take that and have two beautiful healthy girls.

Depending on my schedule, I lift heavy 3-5 times a week, and run 4-6 times a week. I don't worry about clean eating, only about hitting my macro targets.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am actually dealing with patience much better now. I am even okay with having to wear a one piece if this is what is meant to be. My son is healthy and happy and I knew going into this life changing event that my body will be changed forever. The cleaner eating was for my own sanity. I just didn't feel good inside and out. Now if I want something, I know that I truly want it and laziness isn't taking over. Funny enough, I'm 65lbs down too (since my wedding; 45lbs from my gorgeous boy).

I have about the same routine with the exception of the mix-up of different cardio routines. I can truly say that after all this time, I enjoy working out. I never thought I would say that. I'm proud of where I am today. Thanks and keep up the good work. I think your profile pic is a great one!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids and my stomach looks pretty good. A lot of it was luck but a lot of it was heavy barbell lifting. I do almost no direct ab work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've had some really nice results since starting exercising and healthy eating in April. My kiddos just turned 4 and 2 in June and my abs are definitely my least favorite area but I can tell they are toning and firming:) I can see some definition in my upper abs and the loose skin on my lower belly is tightening (yay!) I lost my weight fairly quickly so things looked worse before they looked better but I'm trying to have patience to tighten everything up. I actually wore a bikini in the back yard swimming with the kids over the weekend:) Also, as my skin is tightening my stretchmarks are a lot less noticable which I was suprised with!

I do strength training and run at least 5 times a week. 2 days I incorporate abs/planks otherwise I can tell that pull-ups and push-ups really are helping my core.

Good luck:)
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options
    A lot of it is genetics, either you were born with elasticity in your skin or you weren't. After four kiddos( well actually after the first, but the last three didn't do any favors!!) my stomach skin was beyond loose. My belly button was more of a frown than a button. I worked my butt of lifting and running and was lean, but nothing for me would make the loose skin return to what should be normal. I opted for the tummy tuck because it irritated me to work so hard and still not like the way I looked.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Gave birth to 6 kiddos

<

I have a lot of loose skin but I am learning to accept my tummy as it is.......but I am soooo getting new boobs
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and 18 month old. And still need to lose a few lbs but get fustarted i see everythign else toning but lower abs are far behind. Getting better but nned more work. Feel free to add me !
  • Rompers616
    Rompers616 Posts: 307
    Options
    Gave birth to 6 kiddos

<

I have a lot of loose skin but I am learning to accept my tummy as it is.......but I am soooo getting new boobs

Wow. You look incredible!
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Gave birth to 6 kiddos

<

YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!!! So Jelly over here. I'm taking it one day at a time. Good news is the boobs are great! lol