so i got myself a pair of vibram fivefingers...

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
... and they are probably the most comfortable shoes ever to putter around the house in. well, except for weedy lawns, when you end up plucking clover and dandelions from between your toes.

anyhow, the idea is to start running in them. the guy at the store was very informative, and it being a running store, i was positively impressed by his knowledge - he actually runs regularly in vibrams. his advice was to run five minutes at a time, then switch to 'regular' running shoes, and increase the time only once comfortable.

anyhow, i find it a bit tedious, having to carry a pair of shoes along on my runs, just so i could switch them when needed.

so i formulated a plan: run my usual 8k every other day, but, on rest days do c25k in my vibram fivefingers. that wouldn't only start me out slowly on minimalist running, it would get me used to a couple more runs a week (which i had planned on anyways), a couple of actual rest days thrown in and it sounds good to me...

what do you guys think? too ambitious?

so far i am just walking in them as much as i can, 5k today was a bit much, but i figure in a week or so i'll be ready to start trying to run....

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoe did you used to wear? A typical running shoe, for example, might have a 12mm drop (heel height if you will). When you suddenly go to a zero drop, which is what the vibram is, you need to have enough length in your calf (the heel of your foot is now closer to the ground). If you don't have that length you'll want to ease into them. If you are not sure then ease anyway, better safe than sorry. :)
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS! Welcome to the club!!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    ... and they are probably the most comfortable shoes ever to putter around the house in.....

Wait, they are shoes?!?

/leaving this thread now
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    i have thought of buying but they look HIDEOUS! they are on par with mom jeans in terms of hideousness.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Love mine but you run very differently in them and you need to give yourself time to adjust, definitely. No more heel-toe running!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Wear mine All the Time!! Welcome to the Club!! :drinker:
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Understanding the biomechanics and identifying your running style may make your conversion less prone to possible injury

Biomechanical Differences Between Different Foot Strikes
    & Applications to Running Barefoot or in Minimal Footwear
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Absolutely take the time to transition. My friend didn't and they pretty much crippled her for months (she used to run with the equivalent of a lazy boy recliner on her feet). I have several pair but only use them these days for obstacle racing, lifting and I have a pair for in the house that I wear like slippers (for keeping my toes corrected/straight). My initial buying of VFFs was not to transition to barefoot running but to actually correct problems I had with pelvic tilt, my general balance and the condition of my toes. My toes used to fold over each other and were bent over (hammer toe) - they are straight now with no curling in any direction. My balance is much better and I don't have much issues with my hips anymore either.
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair last summer. I love running on grass with them. Just like barefoot but soles of feet are protected. :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Give yourself plenty of time to get used to them before you run in them. It will take a significant amount of time to adjust to the different way you will walk, let alone trying to run in them.

And a side note... Make sure to to wash them regularly so you do not get the "5 finger funk" :laugh: (seriously some versions can get hideous very quickly)
  • froeschli
    Options
    Understanding the biomechanics and identifying your running style may make your conversion less prone to possible injury

Biomechanical Differences Between Different Foot Strikes
    & Applications to Running Barefoot or in Minimal Footwear
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

That's actually the reason I wanted to try them :happy:

Lol @ five finger funk - if I like running in them I am getting at least one extra pair :wink:
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Love mine. I use them for weightlifting--it's like being barefoot, then run the mile back home in them.
  • Borovsky
    Borovsky Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a bunch of pairs and love them too. They are amazing to run in, but please please please be careful!! Check out the beginner's guide on www.birthdayshoes.com They also have great message boards about getting started. The biggest danger is that your feet and legs arent adjusted to the new style of running. (barefoot/minimalist running is VERY different from running in regular shoes).

Welcome to the club and enjoy the ride!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    ... and they are probably the most comfortable shoes ever to putter around the house in. well, except for weedy lawns, when you end up plucking clover and dandelions from between your toes.

anyhow, the idea is to start running in them. the guy at the store was very informative, and it being a running store, i was positively impressed by his knowledge - he actually runs regularly in vibrams. his advice was to run five minutes at a time, then switch to 'regular' running shoes, and increase the time only once comfortable.

anyhow, i find it a bit tedious, having to carry a pair of shoes along on my runs, just so i could switch them when needed.

so i formulated a plan: run my usual 8k every other day, but, on rest days do c25k in my vibram fivefingers. that wouldn't only start me out slowly on minimalist running, it would get me used to a couple more runs a week (which i had planned on anyways), a couple of actual rest days thrown in and it sounds good to me...

what do you guys think? too ambitious?

so far i am just walking in them as much as i can, 5k today was a bit much, but i figure in a week or so i'll be ready to start trying to run....

OP if you really want to end up running in those, put them on, go out of your front door, run for two and a half minutes down the street, turn around and return home, go indoors and then change into your normal trainers and go out for your run.

That way you do not have to carry your normal shoes out with you when running.

You will only have to do this until you can run the whole distance in them.

I presume you have to run five minutes extra each time you go out in them?
  • rakufire
    rakufire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but I still got a pair of FFs for bush walking - then found they were fantastic in the gym...Although I forgot my regular shoes for a spin class once, and I DON'T recommend them for that!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Love my Vibrams - the only shoe I've ever been able to run in. Even if my OH does call my gorilla shoes.
  • froeschli
    Options
    I started doing c25k in them on my off days, but then just figured I'd try them on one of the (ridiculously) short runs from my new training plan. 3k last week left me a bit sore, but 4k today wasn't bad at all. It probably helps that I am changing the running style on my longer runs (in my habitual running shoes) too - it's definitely bit harder on the calves, but I've seen a fair bit of improvement over the last two weeks. Overall my legs actually feel better now - I used to have some minor knee pains, but they're all gone now :-)
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was given a major sales pitch about them by an employee at SportChek, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase them. They were far too ugty :P
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    ... and they are probably the most comfortable shoes ever to putter around the house in.....

Wait, they are shoes?!?

/leaving this thread now

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    OP if you really want to end up running in those, put them on, go out of your front door, run for two and a half minutes down the street, turn around and return home, go indoors and then change into your normal trainers and go out for your run.

That way you do not have to carry your normal shoes out with you when running.

You will only have to do this until you can run the whole distance in them.

I presume you have to run five minutes extra each time you go out in

I'm with this. Run very short periods of time, you may not be able to run on consecutive days in them for a while also.