Squats improving running times?

Options
I typically average about a 7:30-8:00 mile. I started the 30 day squat challenge at the beginning of July and I've since then run a few 6:30-6:45 miles while my other times usually fall on the lower end of my averages.

Did anyone else find that squats improved their running times?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    can't say squat or time specific, but lifting (NROL4W) has greatly improved my running comfort, apart from muscle soreness caused by it :tongue: my knees and ankles have less twinges, i have better posture and runs feel easier.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Building leg muscle will increase your sprint times and the times of your short races such as a half mile or a mile. It will not do much for longer races like marathons and such.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think it's helped my overall form, which makes me run more efficiently and makes it easier to drop times/ have easier goings of longer distances.
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I read studies that deadlifting helped many marathon runners improve there running performance by 15-20%
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles over the last 2 weeks that state that strengthening your glutes will improve running and cycling because you keep your legs from tiring as quickly due to using your glutes more.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How often should I lift lower body? Is once a week ok because I don't like to lift and run on the same days. Right now my workout schedule is: Sunday- run, Monday- swim and lift upper body, Tues -- run, Wed-- swim and core strength, Thur--long run, Fri-swim and lift lower body, Sat -- off. Is the once a week lifting enough to help with my run times.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    How often should I lift lower body? Is once a week ok because I don't like to lift and run on the same days. Right now my workout schedule is: Sunday- run, Monday- swim and lift upper body, Tues -- run, Wed-- swim and core strength, Thur--long run, Fri-swim and lift lower body, Sat -- off. Is the once a week lifting enough to help with my run times.

I'm not really sure. I'm just getting ready to start a program in the next week or so. I would imagine you would want to work lower body twice a week. Hopefully a fitness expert will see your post soon and advise.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    But what if you're squatting without weights (using body weight alone)? I have bad elbows and lack the resources to lift so I haven't tried it yet.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Building leg muscle will increase your sprint times and the times of your short races such as a half mile or a mile. It will not do much for longer races like marathons and such.

With muscles and green paint, you can do a hulk impression. And everybody wants to see a hulk run a marathon.