Any negative effects of too much fiber?

Options
I'm -21 on fiber today ... Just wondering. I mean I know a diet rich in fiber helps going #2 alot easier but anything negative???

Replies

• htowntek
    Options
    I do not think there can be a negative effect other than the side effects that can come with eating too much fiber like gas or cramps...

I used to take psyllium husk powder usually 30 grams a day and I survived.. The worst part was how that sticky fiber residue wouldn't come off my drinking glasses
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can get some really bad gas..not to be gross...I know that the fiber one granola bars give me stomach pains like you wouldn't believe!
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Okay, not a doc here, but if you are having super runny ones . . . you know . . . too much fiber means the vitamins and minerals are not getting absorbed properly. Bananas are great for regulating your system.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    On the other side...it depends on what kind of fiber you are talking about. All fiber is good but insoluable fiber can make you constipated if you don't drink enough water. If you are drinking 8 glasses a day then you should up your water intake a little bit to help "ease" things along.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    On the other side...it depends on what kind of fiber you are talking about. All fiber is good but insoluable fiber can make you constipated if you don't drink enough water. If you are drinking 8 glasses a day then you should up your water intake a little bit to help "ease" things along.

I know what you mean, Lori... I love wheat thins, but if I eat more than just 2-3 of them, it takes a while to digest and process it.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    No problems here on the bathroom business haha ... anyways, I just wanted to make sure. My food diary is public if any of you want to see where the fiber is coming from. And LOL .. Although i love peanut butter fiber one bars i try to avoid them ... definitely gets your insides moving but the gas pains are definitely bad. TMI? LOL
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As Forrest Gump said: **it happens! Not TMI...it is what it is! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Make sure, if you're eating a lot of fiber, that you're also getting a lot of water. I don't know what your fiber is set at. The site set mine to 14 and I upped it to 25. So, 21 over for me is a lot more than it would be for someone who has it set at the default. The recommended amount is 25 a day. I usually get 40-50.
  • H82Bpor
    H82Bpor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can get some really bad gas..not to be gross...I know that the fiber one granola bars give me stomach pains like you wouldn't believe!

They do that to me as well, but its burping and burping will not stop for hours,
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The Fiber Ones do that because of the chicory root, not the amount of fiber. If the fiber is naturally in the food, then after you eat high fiber for a while, your body gets used to it and you don't have the gas issues.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I found a fantastic article (in my opinion) about Fiber - what it is, what it does for you, how much you need (and how much is too much!), info about fiber & kids, best foods to get fiber from, etc. It can be found here: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041500.asp

If you're -21 from MFP's pre-set goal, then you are probably just fine. MFP's fiber recommendation is WAY low. Most adults should be eating 25-35g of fiber a day, and going a little over that isn't going to be a real problem either. I changed my goal to 35g/day. If you increase your fiber intake slowly, that helps your body process it better as well.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    No problems here on the bathroom business haha ... anyways, I just wanted to make sure. My food diary is public if any of you want to see where the fiber is coming from. And LOL .. Although i love peanut butter fiber one bars i try to avoid them ... definitely gets your insides moving but the gas pains are definitely bad. TMI? LOL

Oh I hear you on that one!!! I was having HORRIBLE gas/gas pains and did an elimination diet. Turns out my oats and chocolate fiber one bar was the cause! SOOOO sad b/c I love them! Has anyone found any good replacements?