Body Image

Options
There may already be a board about this, but I couldn't find it. Anyone having trouble seeing yourself differently after weight loss? I have lost 30 lbs and I do see that I'm smaller but still see the same issues in the mirror. Just curious :)

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It's very common. We tend to focus on the things that bother us most, and it can be hard to let go. I'm down 90 lbs, and sometimes I love the way I look now, but other days, all I can see is what's left of my belly. It's always been a problem spot for me, so it sticks out in my mind. Progress pictures and mini goals can be a lifesaver. Seeing the results in black and white helps make them real, and achieving goals you have set can be a huge boost. I may not be rid of my belly yet, but I ran a personal best in my 10k last week, so I'm feeling good. Try to focus on the positive. Good luck.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems, more magnified. I hate my stomach and my hips and thighs. And all I can console myself with is that it'll take time to see/make the changes that I want, so I have to steel myself against my current disappointment.
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, YES. If you google "phantom fat" you'll find a few articles talking about the psychological phenomenon of still feeling larger despite losing weight! Looking in the mirror, I still feel like I did 100 lbs heavier. My clothes are getting too baggy to wear, and friends are commenting on my loss, and yet I feel exactly the same. I still navigate the world the way I used to (overestimating the space I need to fit through a space or sit down, for example). When I see photos, the difference is evident (especially looking at old photos). It's frustrating and I hear it can take a long time to shake those feelings. Be patient and persistent!
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes... I've been heavy for so many year now that even though people comment, I know I still see myself a lot bigger than others. Sometimes my family will say "how much more weight are you going to lose?" Never really sure how to take that. I'm 5'7" and 190.. I still have plenty of weight to lose still to be down to a healthy weight.

What I've found and been meaning to ask my fellow mfp'ers about if they do too, is that the more weight I lose, the less I like my body. Don't get me wrong, fully clothed I feel good, great even, feeling and looking much slimmer (I've lost just over 100#s) but getting out of the shower, I cannot get the robe on fast enough and I'm in a room with no mirrors when I get dressed just so I don't have to look at my stomach in particular, but it's all over. Anyone else experience this and if so how do you deal?
  • jkdehoff
    jkdehoff Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all so much that helps immensely and I will definitely look up the phantom fat! I feel guilty feeling that way after I have made so much progress. People often tell me not to lose anymore weight but when I look in the mirror I see hips and thighs for days! I am also experiencing the lack of confidence naked... more so with bathing suits... I half wonder if maybe it's from seeing how big I was before and wondering why I didn't realize it? Maybe I don't trust my eyes? Maybe when I lose this last 10lbs and tone I'll feel better :)