kid is gaining, need advice

Options

Replies

• helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How about ask her to start a food diary on this website. And get her a medical check up with a body fat % analysis. Then ask the medical expert where in the range she is (healthy, a little over, very over, obscene).

By that time it's a medical opinion. What she does with it is probably up to her. At her age she may not be mentally mature enough to deal with over-weight. We need to find some things out by ourselves, they cannot be taught. I was never much overweight but I know I am just getting around to being mentally able to cope with certain things now when I'm in my thirties.

You can bring a horse to water...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is be a good example. And I like the suggestion to invite her to workout with you.

As others have said, she probably knows she's getting heavier. As a fat girl, I never found it helpful to have that pointed out to me. I had to decide, on my own, that I'd had enough. Then, the motivation to change came 100% from me, and I was ready to work my butt off (literally) to change it. There's not a chance in hell I would have been that motivated just because someone told me I was fat. In fact, I probably would have dug in my heels a little bit. Like, "I'll show you - I can be healthy and happy without losing weight." But I can be a bit stubborn! Haha
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started having people concerned about my weight before I was ever overweight and even though my parents were very gentle and not pushy or mean about it, I can honestly tell you that the more people made my weight (good/bad/whatever) an issue the more I ate. I was an emotional eater too and it wasn't till people backed off that I started losing weight for myself.

For me, the more other people were concerned or talked about it, the more I rebelled against it and gained weight. You have to lose weight for yourself and no one can decide to do it, but you.
  • arlyne23
    arlyne23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everything. I will also read the blog on self efficacy.
  • arlyne23
    Options
    I feel your pain. I feel helpless with my daughter. I know talking about it makes her feel attacked, but when I don't try to address it, I feel I'm failing her as a parent. For me it's not even about her appearance. It's about her health. I fear for her joints, her heart, her future offspring if she decides she wants to be a mom one day. I want her body healthy. And i want her to feel good about herself. She is a beautiful young lady and I don't just say it because i'm her mother. She IS gorgeous. I want her to have a life rich in joy. And let's face it, feeling obese isn't a good feeling, and what ever drives one to be obese feeds into multiple parts of one's life. Please let me know if you find any good advice. I've tried the counseling route, hasn't been her "aha" yet.

The following is also a suggestion for the OP.... and it is just a suggestion I don't know your family or situations at all, all I know is the following does apply in a lot of cases similar to this and parents may be unaware of the following.

Have you told her she's beautiful? Maybe she's not trying because she thinks she's ugly. Parents (in my experience) tend to think that their offspring already know that they're beautiful, clever, etc, because it's the truth, but a lot of young people, especially women, tend to have a very low opinion of themselves, especially when it comes to looks, due to pressure from the media, peer pressure etc. With some problems like this, what they need is to be built up. That's often why comments like "darling, I think you're gaining weight and I'm concerned about your health" are not taken well, because they already feel really down about themselves, so comments like that are seen as being kicked when you're down, twisting the knife in, etc. People who don't like themselves tend to be less likely to try to help themselves improve, because they don't believe they can, and/or don't believe that they're worth it. People generally do better at trying to change themselves when they like themselves and want to change because they know they deserve better.

If this is the problem you can't fix it overnight, but maybe you can help your daughter to feel better about herself, firstly by telling her she's beautiful (don't assume that she knows it already, because there's so much influence out there that makes women feel bad about their bodies) and commenting on her other good qualities, and also remind her of things she's done in the past that she's succeeded at. So rather than dealing with the specific problem (that she's becoming obese) you're aiming to give her what she needs to be able to make the decision to change what needs to be changed, for herself, because she wants to.

Working on self efficacy is also important, self efficacy is someone's ability to recognise the extent to which the results that you get (from anything) is to do with your own efforts, choices, etc and having the ability to get better results by doing things differently, and the determination to keep at it. Many people who are overfat but don't seem to want to put the effort in to change, have low self efficacy, and it's not that they don't want to change, more that they don't believe they can. I wrote a blog post about self efficacy: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/neandermagnon People who have high self efficacy generally also have high self esteem and tend to be successful (and to deal with failure much more productively, i.e. they keep trying and try to find out what they're doing wrong so they can try a different way) because they feel in control of their lives and their successes boost their self esteem, rather than needing people to tell them they're worthy, etc.

Yes I have really tried to build her up. She's actually my step-daughter and has an abusive mother. I read your blog on self efficacy and am tuning in on the last paragraph:

Parents: you can instill high self efficacy in your children through how you give them feedback for anything they do. "wow you're really good at football" does not instill high self efficacy (it suggests that the child was born good at football).... "I'm really proud of how hard you work at football training, and it shows in how well you play at games" does. And when giving feedback for things that didn't go well "you did it wrong" doesn't install high self efficacy (it's nothing but blaming) however "that didn't go right, did it? What do you think you did wrong?" does.... and if they don't know what they did wrong, you can of course tell them, but follow it with asking them what they think they can do to improve/do better next time, etc.

This really makes good sense and I'll put it into play. One question; do you actually start a conversation about what she thinks she's doing wrong and how can she make it right with her intake?
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I remember my dad kept telling me that "he'd love me no matter how fat I could get" and that he just wanted me to lose weight to feel better about myself. And everytime we went to buy new clothes and I had to ask for the number above, he's say "see? this is the things I want you to avoid, I know you don't feel good about yourself, and I want you to". Thing is, I was ready enough to accept me as me, and even though now, looking back, his words were as kind as could be, really, they hurt me so much then, and made me so angry and irritated I couldn't even look him in the eye.

If you are going to do something, then invite her to come along for a walk, or invite her to go try a zumba class, tell her to accompany you in something active that you think you could both ENJOY, and maybe by getting more active she'll start changing her habits. But please, do not try and choose words to tell her she's fat - she knows, and it will hurt that you are making the remark.
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    I feel your pain. I feel helpless with my daughter. I know talking about it makes her feel attacked, but when I don't try to address it, I feel I'm failing her as a parent. For me it's not even about her appearance. It's about her health. I fear for her joints, her heart, her future offspring if she decides she wants to be a mom one day. I want her body healthy. And i want her to feel good about herself. She is a beautiful young lady and I don't just say it because i'm her mother. She IS gorgeous. I want her to have a life rich in joy. And let's face it, feeling obese isn't a good feeling, and what ever drives one to be obese feeds into multiple parts of one's life. Please let me know if you find any good advice. I've tried the counseling route, hasn't been her "aha" yet.

The following is also a suggestion for the OP.... and it is just a suggestion I don't know your family or situations at all, all I know is the following does apply in a lot of cases similar to this and parents may be unaware of the following.

Have you told her she's beautiful? Maybe she's not trying because she thinks she's ugly. Parents (in my experience) tend to think that their offspring already know that they're beautiful, clever, etc, because it's the truth, but a lot of young people, especially women, tend to have a very low opinion of themselves, especially when it comes to looks, due to pressure from the media, peer pressure etc. With some problems like this, what they need is to be built up. That's often why comments like "darling, I think you're gaining weight and I'm concerned about your health" are not taken well, because they already feel really down about themselves, so comments like that are seen as being kicked when you're down, twisting the knife in, etc. People who don't like themselves tend to be less likely to try to help themselves improve, because they don't believe they can, and/or don't believe that they're worth it. People generally do better at trying to change themselves when they like themselves and want to change because they know they deserve better.

If this is the problem you can't fix it overnight, but maybe you can help your daughter to feel better about herself, firstly by telling her she's beautiful (don't assume that she knows it already, because there's so much influence out there that makes women feel bad about their bodies) and commenting on her other good qualities, and also remind her of things she's done in the past that she's succeeded at. So rather than dealing with the specific problem (that she's becoming obese) you're aiming to give her what she needs to be able to make the decision to change what needs to be changed, for herself, because she wants to.

Working on self efficacy is also important, self efficacy is someone's ability to recognise the extent to which the results that you get (from anything) is to do with your own efforts, choices, etc and having the ability to get better results by doing things differently, and the determination to keep at it. Many people who are overfat but don't seem to want to put the effort in to change, have low self efficacy, and it's not that they don't want to change, more that they don't believe they can. I wrote a blog post about self efficacy: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/neandermagnon People who have high self efficacy generally also have high self esteem and tend to be successful (and to deal with failure much more productively, i.e. they keep trying and try to find out what they're doing wrong so they can try a different way) because they feel in control of their lives and their successes boost their self esteem, rather than needing people to tell them they're worthy, etc.

Yes I have really tried to build her up. She's actually my step-daughter and has an abusive mother. I read your blog on self efficacy and am tuning in on the last paragraph:

Parents: you can instill high self efficacy in your children through how you give them feedback for anything they do. "wow you're really good at football" does not instill high self efficacy (it suggests that the child was born good at football).... "I'm really proud of how hard you work at football training, and it shows in how well you play at games" does. And when giving feedback for things that didn't go well "you did it wrong" doesn't install high self efficacy (it's nothing but blaming) however "that didn't go right, did it? What do you think you did wrong?" does.... and if they don't know what they did wrong, you can of course tell them, but follow it with asking them what they think they can do to improve/do better next time, etc.

This really makes good sense and I'll put it into play. One question; do you actually start a conversation about what she thinks she's doing wrong and how can she make it right with her intake?

I would say to let her bring it up. I think weight is a touchy topic for anyone regardless of their size. My aunt offered to let me go to the gym with her when I was in high school and I loved it.

My mother is about the same size as I am [14/16] and she constantly complains about how fat she is, so I offer to do activities with her [she wouldn't be caught dead in a gym] and she rejects me. Growing up though she constantly told me I was fat and poking at my stomach anytime we went clothes shopping, to the point that when I bought my wedding dress this last year I went with my fiancee, did not offer my mom the chance at all because I did not think she would be supportive.

I think she is way more hurt than she let on, but years upon years of her commenting on my weight really impacted me.
  • arlyne23
    Options

I would say to let her bring it up. I think weight is a touchy topic for anyone regardless of their size. My aunt offered to let me go to the gym with her when I was in high school and I loved it.

My mother is about the same size as I am [14/16] and she constantly complains about how fat she is, so I offer to do activities with her [she wouldn't be caught dead in a gym] and she rejects me. Growing up though she constantly told me I was fat and poking at my stomach anytime we went clothes shopping, to the point that when I bought my wedding dress this last year I went with my fiancee, did not offer my mom the chance at all because I did not think she would be supportive.

I think she is way more hurt than she let on, but years upon years of her commenting on my weight really impacted me.

I know her mother made disparaging comments to her when she was both heavier and thinner but mostly thinner because she was envious. Her mother is overweight and liked it when her daughter was on the heavy side but envious when she was lighter. So sad.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    this is very sad.

I agree that you can't really influence her to diet. and i agree that shhe knows she has gained weight.

I also think you should have a sort-of intervention to get her to therapy - NOT specifically for the weight issues (i wouldn't even bring that up at all) but yes for the abuse/dysfunction from her mother. You will have to figoure out *how* to word this (maybe even worth while for YOU to go to the therapist first), but maybe something like you are sad that she seems to be depressed (or whatever outwardly thing you see), and now that she is 20, you think it's time for her to re-address some of her childhood issues. assure her that it's a really brave thing to do, to ask for help, and it's a really healthy thing. assure her that you both love her very much and would like to help her make healthy choices in life (school, work etc NOT WEIGHT related).

When my son was in his teens i forced the issue with him- i told him that i would dial the number and he would talk to them (it was a teen hotline). Best thing i ever did for him. (He still thanks me for it!). sometimes they just need a little or big push.
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your daughter sounds like me... have yo yo'd all my life and eat to celebrate/commiserate/cheer up. No good telling her the obvious! If she is unhappy fresh air and exercise will do her mental state the world of good.

I think focus on health not weight and the same outcomes will be achieved.

I find exercising makes me not want to ruin the hard work I've done so makes me eat better without needing to over-think it. Plus maintains my emotional state so less emotional eating.

Are you UK based? There are some excellent pub stroll books where you can drive to country villages or do City Walks and walk 2-15 miles with/without pub stops for lunch on route (or pack a picnic) ... or maybe even join a rambler's group and go somewhere with them, so if you later want to stop she'll be integrated with the group and may carry on? I would love it if friends suggested walks instead of meals with places that do salads (while they eat the food I really want!).

Or take a seaside/island holiday together somewhere nice and do walks/hikes daily and snack on summer fruits and eat seafood and fresh salads so when she's home she's inspired to carry on.

Does she live with you? While the weather is nice, why not have some garden BBQs or just outside meals for your evening meal with healthy meats (or vegetable kebabs), no/limited breads, plenty of creative salads (beetroot, walnut and crumbles of goats cheese a winner!) and fruit desserts (fruit and marshmallow kebabs on the BBQ are good).

Associate healthy food with happy times and you're onto a winner!
    Options
    I know her mother made disparaging comments to her when she was both heavier and thinner but mostly thinner because she was envious. Her mother is overweight and liked it when her daughter was on the heavy side but envious when she was lighter. So sad.

I also have a stepdaughter, and though she is only 9, we have noticed lately she is getting a little chubby - her other family is very overweight, all of them. I struck up a conversation with her the other day about food serving size after she ate a whole bag of goldfish [about 7 servings there!] and, doing the math, informed her that she ate about 700 calories alone. When she understood how important serving sizes are vs eating out of the bag/a heaping cereal bowl full it really seemed to click. It wasn't me saying "Don't eat that anymore" just to be a mom, but to actually explain -why-. I was under the impression your stepdaughter lives with you, or at least part time, right? Do you guys ever plan a dinner and cook together as a family? What if you took turns cooking dinner? Maybe it would help her if she saw and actively participated.. I have seen people say, even my own wife, that they don't "know how" to cook healthhy.
    Options
    Your daughter sounds like me... have yo yo'd all my life and eat to celebrate/commiserate/cheer up. No good telling her the obvious! If she is unhappy fresh air and exercise will do her mental state the world of good.

I think focus on health not weight and the same outcomes will be achieved.

I find exercising makes me not want to ruin the hard work I've done so makes me eat better without needing to over-think it. Plus maintains my emotional state so less emotional eating.

Are you UK based? There are some excellent pub stroll books where you can drive to country villages or do City Walks and walk 2-15 miles with/without pub stops for lunch on route (or pack a picnic) ... or maybe even join a rambler's group and go somewhere with them, so if you later want to stop she'll be integrated with the group and may carry on? I would love it if friends suggested walks instead of meals with places that do salads (while they eat the food I really want!).

Or take a seaside/island holiday together somewhere nice and do walks/hikes daily and snack on summer fruits and eat seafood and fresh salads so when she's home she's inspired to carry on.

Does she live with you? While the weather is nice, why not have some garden BBQs or just outside meals for your evening meal with healthy meats (or vegetable kebabs), no/limited breads, plenty of creative salads (beetroot, walnut and crumbles of goats cheese a winner!) and fruit desserts (fruit and marshmallow kebabs on the BBQ are good).

Associate healthy food with happy times and you're onto a winner!

I have never heard of fruit and marshmellow kebabs. I think you're my new favorite person :D

Also, the idea of the stroll in the city villages sounds good. Could have a mother/daughter spa day and go "window shopping" if you have a city nearby that has something like a main street with lots of neat shops along, and then maybe go get mani/pedi's or massages. I think it would kind of hide the fact that you'd be "setting up", for lack of better word, exercise.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting her to try MFP? For many of us it was a real eye-opener on how we gained weight (unexpected highly calorific food and drink, what a normal portion size is, etc). As others have said she's an adult, and having something she can do herself in her own way might be encouraging.
  • arlyne23
    Options
    She does not live with us. We live in the US.

The above are very good ideas. :)
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    She needs to fix the emotional reasons, she will know how to eat and lose weight, but it's clear there are issues she's not dealing with if she's still turning to food.

I have the same problem, I find keeping busy helps, and trying to remain mindful and not think too much.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was overweight as a teenager, but my parents never said anything to me. I kind of wish they had, although perhaps if they had done I might not have a great relationship with them like I do today. We always ate healthily and I do sometimes wonder if I had some sort of medical problem. I do wish they'd taken me to the doctor at least. My mum didn't learn to drive until I was14 and we walked everywhere, plus I did sports after school.

I lost weight when I went to university, when I was 19. I definitely didn't eat enough, but I was active, walking everywhere(no car) and in my 2nd year I lived about 3 miles off campus and got a bike. I ate healthily. The weight just dropped off me, especially in my 3rd year in France.

Maybe you can suggest activities you can do with your daughter? Do classes together like Zumba and aerobics, go for walks etc.

I have a daughter, but she's only 2 now. I do worry for her in the future. I also have a 4 year old son. I have brought them up to be very active though and they don't stop moving! My son also barely eats which can be a problem! Being a parent is hard work!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    You could try taking an online course together on Nutrition. There are free ones available.

I saw this on another thread - it looks good and would give you opportunities to talk about nutrition and exercise without it being personalised.

https://www.coursera.org/#course/nutritionforhealth

Hope it helps.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One thing I didn't see mentioned (although I admit I skimmed the thread)...

Yes, you're at a normal BMI, but you're also using MFP to help stay that way. Is she aware that you use it? Maybe knowing that achieving and maintaining a healthy weight isn't easy or natural for everyone will help. The yo-yo cycle starts when someone does something to lose the weight, then stops doing that something and gains it back. Then they do "what worked last time," except that it didn't really work last time. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I didn't have any major weight problems (even at my heaviest, I was the "skinny one" in the family) but I did spend a good chunk of my thirties weighing a little more than I was comfortable with, because I hadn't learned that maintaining is every bit as much work as losing. It's not something you just stop doing when you're happy with how you look.

So maybe if you approach calorie counting and MFP, not as "you need to lose weight," but as "this is what I do to keep things under control." That logging calories and exercise isn't any different than using Quicken to balance your checkbook, and how important nutrition is to your physical and emotional well-being.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I was 20 (so nearly 4 years ago now) when I started piling on the weight and my mum addressed it with me.

It hit me hard. I cried when she'd gone BUT she was right and I'm glad she said something. If there was something else that was making me ill she would talk to me about that too.

It took me another 2 years before I actively did anything about it but the whole time she was very supportive with me asking if I wanted any help, asking what foods I wanted in in case I wanted to eat certain healthy things, we did WW too for a bit and she came with me (although I'm now not a fan of WW but that's a different story).

So although I do understand what people have said up there ^^ about not addressing it, my mum did and I felt that was the right thing for me.

You know your daughter, not us. Trust your instincts as a parent, you've got her to 20 so you must be doing something right :)