Hot weather and weight gain!

Options
Anyone else find they gain weight in the hot weather?! Mini heatwave here in the UK! Gained a pound this week even though I've been under calories every day bar one! Must say I feel quite bloated and swollen in this blazing sun! :-)

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My fingers and feet often swell in really hot (humid) weather. I'm guessing the rest of my body holds water too (hasn't been truly hot since I started working to lose weight). It could be due to sodium balance - some say it means you need more salt and others less. You may need to experiment what it means for your body
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. I don't weigh if I can't see my ankle bones or my rings are too tight.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    Spend most of my time drinking more water and hitting the toilet. Tend to graze more when hot
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    there's more food-specific events, so yeah... I do.. haha
    BUT what you're talking about is normal, you tend to swell in hot weather. Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated!
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes and no - I definitely notice that my fingers and joints seem to swell when it's hot like this, so I'm probably retaining water. Also, when it's super hot and humid (it's mostly the humidity that's getting me to around here... we've been at almost 90% humidity this week), I'm less likely to want to go out and go for a run or take a long walk, and my dogs can't handle being out for long periods of time, which limits a lot of my outdoor activity. On the other hand, I'm more likely to want to drink a tall glass of ice water and less likely to want hearty, heavy foods. I definitely eat a lot more produce and light, fresh foods in the summer than in the winter. In the end, it probably balances out.
  • StirlingJames
    StirlingJames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I decided to be particularly good inJuly with regards to food and exercise. It started off so well. I was 15st7.5lbs (217.5lbs) on the 1st of July and was getting a good response by Saturday on the scales. I was 15st3lbs (213lbs) on Saturday evening. I was quite pleased with this, now I went to a wedding reception on Saturday evening and consumed about 1800 calories of alcohol (which maybe is the problem) but was still on target for calories due to exercise that day. I weighed myself on Monday morning (yesterday) and I am back up at 15st7.5lbs, measured again today an am the same! I really don't understand it because I haven't consumed an extra 10500 calories, quite the opposite actually so how have I gained the 3lbs back virtually overnight, could it be the hot weather? Also as a side note my waist is 3.5 inches less, and hips 2 inches less than the 1st of July...
  • tatey2009
    tatey2009 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm loving this mini UK heatwave but my fingers are like chubby pork sausages so I definitely think I bloat in the sunshine

I think as us in the UK do not have air con in our homes we do not tend to cool down much in heatwaves - there is no escape!!!
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    yes, humidity sucks!!! Here in Canada (Ontario) we are having the same....all week.... I love sunshine but hate the humidity!! Drink LOTS of water and hit the toilets like another MFP pal mentioned....and stay away from sodium......also try green tea. Cheers!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Anyone mentioned water weight yet ?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You'd think with all the sweating and loss of salt, we'd be slimmer.
  • AngelaVCB
    AngelaVCB Posts: 3
    Options
    So that is why both my husband and I haven't lost any this week! We were both a little disappointed as we had stayed well under our calorie limits, been exercising and active and went for our Sunday morning weigh in to find that we both had not lost anything, hmmm so when the heatwave lifts and the humidity is gone in England, does that mean we are gonna get to have a weigh and find lots has dropped off and it has just been deceiving us? Oh that would be nice! :-)
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the water thing is vital, drink loads. Last week I lost 5lbs, but I have been running and doing zumba in this heat, so I think that helps, but Sunday we had a BBQ with lots of good things to eat and plenty of wine, so I'm not hopeful for weigh in this week!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm actually feeling better since the weather has been nicer, I think the heat decreases my appetite. Loving it!!

Plus it's really nice to be able to show off all that hard work :tongue: