It is NOT that simple.

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Also you may be losing fat in your workouts and building up muscles, cancelling it out.
    But as i understand it those bigger muscles will consume more calories so your cals out will go up and assuming your cals in stay the same the weight will start to drop off.

I think a week or two is not a long enough period to judge anything. At least a month I'd say...
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Every time I read of someone who claims that the less they eat the bigger they are (no other lifestyle changes) I have to have a sad little laugh. Think about how many people claim this. Now think about photos of the victims of Nazi concentration camps. How many folks there got fatter? Where are the folks who can't lose weight no matter what? Yes I know this is dark, but it is also a stark and undeniable reflection of what happens when your caloric input is limited and your activity increases.

And just for completeness sake, I will quote the Jewish Resource Library which states that the typical concentration camp prisoner had a daily caloric intake of 1300 to 1700 calories a day.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/auconditions.html

If you somehow discount the above: Ever watch the "Biggest Loser" on TV? How many of those 250 people got bigger from increased activity and limited caloric input? In the 13 seasons so far, anyone who stayed "on the ranch" for more than a few days lost weight, most significant weight.

I'm not suggesting that either of the above are good methods of weight loss, but they do show what happens when you can't deceive yourself, when you don't fudge your record keeping, when you don't have more splurge days than you are willing to admit to yourself, or when you estimate calories rather than measure and control.

Yes, there are genetic and medical reasons some of us gain or lose a _little_ bit differently that others, but physics is rather obstinate regarding the conservation and loss of mass and energy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but for anyone that hasn't read all the other pages:

OP has "PCOS (including the accompanying hypoglycemia) and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a form of hypothyroidism." Revealed on page 8.

Comments were made stating CI/CO works, with the exception of certain medical issues (pages 2, 3 and 5).

OP felt it "wasn't necessary" to reveal said medical issues (and also claimed no one "asked" about them, even though people referenced the "with the exception of medical issues" clause).

OP is losing weight by consuming less calories than she burns, along with medication for said medical issues.

OP has left thread a loooooong time ago.

Now will someone PLEASE find me a good headdesk gif??

* Did not feel like using many articles or pronouns today.

IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN THIS, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING. I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY.

And since you wrapped that up so nicely, here ya go:

HeadDesk.gif

Since MFP is apparently fine with this thread as is, I'll bump this^ to point out to those just now finding the thread that OP has/had a medical condition that complicated her situation.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    1883391_o.gif
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that you ate 1600 calories a day which is a lot less than you burn at 235lbs, and you lost weight? So it sounds like Cals in Vs. Cals out actually works. Maybe you should trying eating 4000 calories a day and see how much you lose? People on here aren't giving you an exact number of how much you eat they are just saying eating less than you burn you will lose weight, and you are living proof of that, so stop being so mad! It just took you a while to adjust it to what works for your specific body, but in the end it still is that principle that worked.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ME>>>>>here<<<<<YOU, OP.

I've tried it all:

low carb

reduced fat

low fat

using excercise as an excuse to continue to stuff my face with highly processed, artificial gmo crap

fat free

low calorie

% less fat

atkins/slimfast/lean cuisine

sugar-free

counting calories/carbs/fats

I lacked nutrients, felt miserable, eventually went back to my old eating habits & gained all the weight back.

I wanted to enjoy real food AND still lose weight.

So i make & eat majority of my own food using organic non-gmo food & ingredients 95% of the time now.

I still get to eat carbs, sweets, & such as the next person. The only difference is it's organic & non-gmo.

I still practice moderation & excercise, but i don't care how fat-free or good artificially processed "food" is.

My health will ALWAYS come FIRST!

Great post OP! :flowerforyou:
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No one gets obese by eating 1100 calories a day. No one.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

OP has "PCOS (including the accompanying hypoglycemia) and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a form of hypothyroidism." Revealed on page 8.

Comments were made stating CI/CO works, with the exception of certain medical issues (pages 2, 3 and 5).

OP felt it "wasn't necessary" to reveal said medical issues (and also claimed no one "asked" about them, even though people referenced the "with the exception of medical issues" clause).

OP is losing weight by consuming less calories than she burns, along with medication for said medical issues.

IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN THIS, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING. I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY.

HeadDesk.gif

For the love of all things holy, THANK YOU for that gif! I really needed it :flowerforyou: I feel so much better now....*ahhhh*

P.S.--" ...I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY" <---That's exactly how I felt when I first posted lol

RE-bumping so that hopefully this thread will not get a lot more effort put into it.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    this. people with eating disorders will eat under 1200, way under, for months even and it shows. the weight just drops. yes, they are losing important muscle and body functions in the process, but i have such a hard time believing you ate 1100 calories for a year, and were at your heaviest. i have an ex-fat-girlfriend who would say just this and whine and ***** about it being fat because she 'ate' 'nothing'. lies!

Agree that people saying you cannot lose weight undereating is just as bad as the people who say you do have to undereat massively to lose weight. Basically if you undereat enough you will eventually lose weight, it's just if you're doing it to the level an anorectic would you're gonna seriously eff yourself up in the process.

To the OP, glad you found something that works for you but it would have been nice if you could have shared in a slightly less agressive way. That original rant pretty much guaranteed a massive flaming and actually it would have been nice to hear a bit mroe detail about the methods that have worked for you instead of read 18 pages of arguement.

Although the Hangry picture on page two made me smile :D

ETA - only just seen the above post. shame the OP left after stirring up such a hornets nest.

I choose to leave my post here because the Hangry pic really did make me happy

:P
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

HeadDesk.gif

For the love of all things holy, THANK YOU for that gif! I really needed it :flowerforyou: I feel so much better now....*ahhhh*

P.S.--" ...I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY" <---That's exactly how I felt when I first posted lol

RE-bumping so that hopefully this thread will not get a lot more effort put into it.

And again. This thread is OLD. the OP is GONE.