Runners: is 1/2 Marathon too ambitious?

Options
I started the c25k program in October of last year and have been bitten by the running bug. I ran in my first 5k race in May and finished in around 35 minutes. My goal has never been speed, but completing something that challenges me. I'm signed up to run a quarter marathon in August.

My question is this: Would it be too ambitious for a beginning runner to run in a half marathon on October 20th?

I figure that since I'm already in training for the quarter, just keep up the training and keep increasing the mileage. I worry that if I wait until next year, maybe my interest in the sport would have waned or my fitness won't be as good as it is now. Right now, I'm only getting in 6-10 miles a week.

Replies

• nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you have 10-12 weeks to complete the training and want to, then NO it's not too ambitious!! I'm completing (hopefully) my first next weekend and CAN. NOT. WAIT.

If you have the drive, you'll do awesome!!!!
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its ambitious but not unachievable.

If you just push a little harder a little further every week and you don't injure yourself at any point then yeah why not.

I started running in March 2012 (never EVER ran before that) and did my first Half distance in May this year (note i did have to take about a month off after i twisted my ankle really badly and it set me back quite a lot)
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    the great thing about running is its relevent. It builds up as you do, Everytime you run, you will find the same distances easier and therefor be able to go more distance, or quicker.

Build up slowly im sure you will be able to do it, especially if your running 5k in 35minutes. Good Luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I concur. Just temper your expectations. Make your goal to finish. Do all your training as easy runs. Don't feel compelled to add ANY type of speed work to your routine, regardless of what others may tell you. Easy running, time on your feet. That is what will get you where you want to be.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming Emerald City and Columbus. See ya at Columbus!! Great job so far and good luck.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally doable. Research some training plans and you will see most are 13 week programs. Plenty of time for you to get going. I am running my first half marathon in October as well. My goal is to finish. Slow and steady wins the race. :wink: Good luck!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    NOT AT ALL!!!! Follow a training plan and stick to it!
    I trained for mine about a total of 6 months or so but only did "hardcore" training for about 2 possibly 3. My goal was to finish in under 2:45 and I am proud to say I finished both (within a week of each other) at under 2:30!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most 1/2 marathon training plans are about 12 weeks long, depending on your base.

at the bottom of this link http://www.nyrr.org/train-with-us/training-programs/nyc-half-marathon-training-program are three training programs, based on your level.

you have about 16 weeks to get to a half marathon distance. i think its very much within your grasp.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options

^^^ this. Depends what you would rather do, wait a bit longer and get a better pace etc or just do it!

I just did it and I completed it - in a slow time and I was feeling it for over a week after. I did another one this year and by the evening of the day after I was fine! Wish I'd given myself a bit longer. But then there are a lot of people out there who would say the opposite :)

Hope that helps! x
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last June and 8 months later ran a half marathon in 2:08. Had never run before in my life. So it is definitely not too ambitious!! Good luck and have fun!!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for Run like a Girl in October. I started running the beginning of last summer. I'm slightly slower than you (5k in 38 min, 10k in 78 minutes). I know I can do it, I will have to stick to the training plan. I know you can do it too!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I concur. Just temper your expectations. Make your goal to finish. Do all your training as easy runs. Don't feel compelled to add ANY type of speed work to your routine, regardless of what others may tell you. Easy running, time on your feet. That is what will get you where you want to be.

THIS!!! He knows what he is talking about. I used the Honda CRV Beginner Half Plan and it did all of the runs as easy with a bit of hill work. My Asics has free plans that are very good.
  • MrsKerryParkin
    MrsKerryParkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it!! You will love it! Just knowing that you have finished is the ultimate buzz - Don't worry too much about your time

I've done 2 x 10k runs this year so far and I have a half marathon in 10weeks. If I'm honest I did no training for either of my 10k's as I was just lazy and I managed them in around 1.26.

I'm hoping to just get my half finished the same day as everyone else lol

If it's a Great Run, run then they have a brilliant training app which really does help you, I'm a but under the 12week training plan but going to look into using it to get me through the GNR

**Good Luck**
  • Harmony2376
    Harmony2376 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DO IT !!!!!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (couple of years ago). 12 weeks is fine. Like people said, take it steady, just increase a little bit each week.
    The buzz is SO worth it.

Let us know how you get on...
  • danielalbin
    danielalbin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program in mid September and ran my first 5K in mid November. I too was "bitten by the running bug", so I set out to run a 1/2 Marathon in April. I completed it with no problem. It wasn't easy, and my time wasn't spectacular, but I still got a medal! :smile: I say GO FOR IT!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

What Carson said. You can do it but be sure to take it easy so you don't get injured. May of 2012 I had just gotten up to a slow 38 minute 5k when I decided to train for my 1st half in October of that year. I did all my runs at an easy pace and followed a beginners plan. I felt great on race day, finished in 2:20 and wasn't wrecked after. I purposely kept a conservative pace.

In my training I did run 2 13 mile long runs which isn't always recomended in beginners plans, but really helped with my confidence. I did another half this May and only went to 11 in my long runs and sure enough at mile 11, my race fell apart a little bit. For my next half I'll be adding the 13s back.

Anyway good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k program in October of last year and have been bitten by the running bug. I ran in my first 5k race in May and finished in around 35 minutes. My goal has never been speed, but completing something that challenges me. I'm signed up to run a quarter marathon in August.

My question is this: Would it be too ambitious for a beginning runner to run in a half marathon on October 20th?

I figure that since I'm already in training for the quarter, just keep up the training and keep increasing the mileage. I worry that if I wait until next year, maybe my interest in the sport would have waned or my fitness won't be as good as it is now. Right now, I'm only getting in 6-10 miles a week.

if you set your mind to it then yes you can do it especially because you said speed is not your goal. fyi speed is not my goal either; i did my first half on june 1st and it was GREAT! my goal was to run as long as i could without having to walk (made it to almost 10 miles)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    ditto what's been said before. You can do it, just manage your expectations and make sure you focus on a gradual increase in your long runs every week. There are great training programs out there for mileage increase, just ignore the colour coding that they use to indicate the different speeds that you're supposed to aim for, just focus on getting the miles under your belt every week in whatever time it takes you to finish them. Your goal for this one should definitely just be to finish the day you start!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It is ambitious but you can do it! As long as you have time to follow a training plan, you will do great! My first half is September 1st and I have already signed up for my 2nd (Tinkerbell Half) on January 19th
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone else says. You have plenty of time. Go to Hal Higdon's site (Google it) and choose either his novice 1 or novice 2 program. 12 weeks and you'll be ready to go!!