How do I stop the aches?!

Options
I do BodyJam every week (sometimes twice). It's supposed to be a full routine, including warm up and cool down, but the next day, I ache like a mummylover, EVERY TIME. Am I not cooling down enough? Is there anything else I can do to alleviate this a bit? I'd like to think it means I'm working really hard, but it's getting quite annoying when I'm struggling with the stairs at work the next day....

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Unfortuantely there is little evidence that warm-ups and cool-downs do anything to help prevent DOMS. (warming up is important to prevent injury but this is a different matter).

This is a long article but worth a read:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.php

In general, most people experience DOMS less as their muscles adapt to an exercise but there seems to be a genetic element as some people suffer a lot more than others.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty comprehensive article, thank you!

So, basically what I'm taking away is- sleep more, drink more water, but really there's not much you can do.

I guess I'll be considering DOMS a badge of exercising honour!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a rest day in between days when you do that? Its not a bad thing to have the muscle soreness but it can be uncomfortable. Or just scale it back a bit
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hot tub, sauna, pool,
    booze.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I keep forgetting to warm up and cool down but do some stretches eg stretch ur hamstring, inner thigh which is like a lunge standing still another one is called the cat stretch that helps heaps for more ideas u maybe able to google some
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Work out more often.

The more you do it, the more efficient your body becomes at dealing with the soreness. I chase the feeling of DOMS now since it's nigh impossible to achieve after a couple of sessions back in the gym :D
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    hot tub, sauna, pool,
    booze.

Tee hee, but,

I thought cold was best for recovery, not hot.

I watched a documentary a few years ago about the Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League T20 cricket tournament. These teams are made up of young Indian domestic players with a smattering of big-name international players, and Shane Watson was one of these big names. The documentary was interviewing some of these young Indian blokes regarding Shane Watson, who has the most diligent physical program. They were extremely impressed with the fact that he never missed a 20 minute bath in icy water after training, as they were with his general physical prowess. They saw the dedication required to be an international sportsman.

I have also seen footballers sitting in wheelie bins (does everyone know what they are?) filled with cold water as soon as they come off the pitch.

I hate cold water. Luckily, I am not an international sportsman, so I just whine about my sore legs to anyone who will listen, i.e., no-one. I do ice my shoulder or my Achilles if they are sore, 20 minutes twice daily.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You know a year and a half later & I STILL ache after every workout. I do an intense workout every day & it really can leave me sore. It never gets easier, but you learn to cope.
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Soon you learn to love the pain and are disappointed if you dont get it lol :D
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Body Jam is, tbh, but the kind of activity you do does matter to how much you suffer from DOMS. Eccentric contractions (muscle lengthens under contraction) cause major DOMS--concentric ones, not so much. In some body weight routines, eccentric contractions constitute most of the workout. I used to get major DOMS after yoga, for example. So it could be that the workout itself is to blame.

Many people mistake DOMS for progress, by the way, but let me assure you it is completely unnecessary. If you enjoy your workout routine, keep it up and you might adapt to it and not suffer as much. Or look for another activity that uses your muscles in a different way.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    Bio freeze works amazingly for sore and aching joints and muscles too.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    sports massage helps with DOMS.
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    Try getting a BCAA supplement... I use Xtend, but you can use anything. Make sure you eat some carbs within 30 minutes post-workout. You will still be sore (no pain no gain) but it won't be as bad.