Starting Fresh (300+)

Options
Cavy1234
Cavy1234 Posts: 28 Member
I'm over 300lbs, and I really, desperately need to get this weight off. I know my portion sizes are too big. I've been searching all over the internet for ideas on that, and I saw a few about using smaller plates and bowls. I have those, so that would be an easy change to make (as long as I can remember not to pile that tiny plate up 8 inches high with food! lol). I've got my measuring cups and spoons out on the counter, so I can easily grab them and measure my food also. Exercising is also a problem for me at my size, so I'm going to have to start slow and easy. I have some arthritis, naturally, from carrying this weight for too long, so my ankles and knees like to scream at me when I stand up. :noway: I do have access to a pool, though, and swimming is joint-friendly, and a slow walk here or there won't hurt me, I'm sure. Anything is good to start, right? :smile:

Those are my two big issues heading into this, but hopefully in time those mountains will become little speed bumps that I can just step right over and leave behind me. I'm up for this. One meal at a time, one day at a time, I'll change this body of mine. :happy:

Replies

• wyldflowrr_6
    Options
    I'm proud of you for getting started!! Remember, you don't have to be "perfect" It's a learn as you go life-style change. Good luck :)
  • Goal4Laura
    Goal4Laura Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I would really like to join you. I have been using this program for a while, but am just now getting serious about my goal.
    You see, I just turned 54. By my 55th birthday I would like to have lost 140 lbs. That gives me a year.

So, let's encourage each other and get this weight off. We can do it, ten pounds at a time.
    Let's go for the first ten, okay?

I started on Saturday, and have lost two pounds so far. You are right, it is all about portion control and exercise. I got back on the treadmill and am eating better.

So, we can do this! Let's do it together. I look forward to hearing from you and will check in each day.

Take care,
    Laura
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

Can I suggest you read every post on this blog:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BeingKevin

He started at 450 lbs (at least), and started losing weight just by walking and cutting his calories a little. Truly inspiring.

You can totally do this, you just have to want it.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't want to alarm you... but I think you may be a dog...

But seriously, congratulations on taking the first steps!
  • patsimmon88
    Options
    Hi, I too have a lot to lose and have arthritis. But take it in small goals. I do 5 lbs at a time. Doesn't seem so daunting. swimming is excellent exercise for your achy joints. I swim as much as I can, and I also will walk in the pool, hang on to the sides and just kick my legs till I can't kick anymore.
    Make sure you drink lots of water and log everything!
  • cortana01
    cortana01 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi Cavy, I started out just like you with my knees screaming in pain if I had to walk up stairs and my heart about to burst out of my chest after 2minutes of physical activity. I'm down 80lbs so far and I the difference in mobility and pain is huge. Sending you a friend request x
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    That is what I am doing daily. Thank you for sharing your posts.:smile:
  • Alice_in_Wndrlnd
    Alice_in_Wndrlnd Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

I sent you a FR. I have been on MFP just over a year and I'm slowly getting towards my goal. I started off over 300lbs too.

Alice.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I would tell you good luck....but you don't need luck. I'll be cheering for you!!
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are taking all the steps in the right direction!! You'll be feeling better in no time!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be hard when getting started...

I found a good dvd with the unfortunate name of :) of "heavy weight yoga" the instructor is Abby Lenz she has modifications for beginners and covers lots of possible physical limitations ... you can do it in a chair even in bed.. It really helped get me moving..

All the best with your journey
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 3rd week on MFP, and would love to have you as a friend. I log EVERYDAY. I exercise at least 3-5 times a week, and I comment on all of my friends post. If you want motivation and encouragement, feel free to add me. I know I love the motivation and encouragement that I get from my friends.
  • Cavy1234
    Options
    LOL! Thanks so much for the laugh. :laugh: I should really change my profile picture. That's my handsome old furbaby. I was looking for a good picture, and I plopped his in there. :wink:
  • Cavy1234
    Options
    LOL! Thanks so much for the laugh. :laugh: I should really change my profile picture. That's my handsome old furbaby. I was looking for a good picture, and I plopped his in there. :wink:

Oops...forgot to quote EnviousDan when I wrote this. :laugh:

Thanks so much to everyone for the support. I feel so motivated and inspired right now! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Shirley_loves56
    Options
    You are awesome! You encourage me. Keep the faith and don't take down. It's not about how many steps you take but it's about taking the steps. Keep moving forward!
    t