Runners: is 1/2 Marathon too ambitious?

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    12-20 weeks is good, unless you are injured.

Best of luck!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Do it! You will feel so proud of yourself when you are done. There are amazing bridge programs to go from C25K to 1/2 marathons. Remember to go slow, do the training runs and have fun!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Its ambitious but not unachievable.

I concur. Just temper your expectations. Make your goal to finish. Do all your training as easy runs. Don't feel compelled to add ANY type of speed work to your routine, regardless of what others may tell you. Easy running, time on your feet. That is what will get you where you want to be.

This.

I trained for a half last year, after only running for about 6-8 months. I was woefully unprepared and had too high of expectations. I dropped out of training and switched my bib to the 5K. This year, I'm training again, with a goal of completing and a solid training plan. I'm focusing on endurance rather than speed and I have a solid 1.5 years of running under my belt. I feel much more prepared.
    Don't be afraid to walk some if you need it. Focus on getting it done. Build some buffer weeks into your training plan - that way if everything goes to hell in a handbasket, you have some wiggle room. Enjoy the process and savor the moment when you cross the finish line! Good luck!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and vote of confidence everyone! It's definitely gotten me pumped to take on the challenge.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Not too ambitious at all. When I did my Half last year, the most I had run was about 6.7 miles with most of my workouts being 45 mins long, maximum 60 mins, and considering a Half is 13 imagine the increased distance my legs had to endure. I did it in 1:57:28, so that's an extra 57 mins I had to go throw, but I did it and didn't stop once.

But before you do anything else, you need to lose the "Should I do this?" or "Am I being too ambitious?" attitude. A single doubt in your mind can lead to failure. Understand that a person's attitude to their lifestyle and training can define who s/he is and what s/he can accomplish. I may not know you, but let me tell you this right now, before anyone else does: You can do this.

That said, here is a good website that might help you with training and some tips, http://www.runteamkina.com/#!training