Bad back & exercise

Options
Anyone have any experience working through lower back pain? I've been struggling since April with sciatica. I can't run, I can't lift, in fact, walking three miles is an exercise in endurance. I really want to exercise but the pain makes it almost impossible. I'm sure being 75lbs overweight isn't helping but it's hard to lose it when you can move.

I've been seeing a chiropractor for about six weeks now and although I'm getting some relief, it's not enough to allow me to exercise the way I want to. I'm really frustrated.

Replies

• monk3ydo
    monk3ydo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is kinda long, so bear with me :smile:

I also have some lower back problems. When mine gets going, the spasms go from my low back (usually the right side), down to my tail bone, wraps around to my right hip, and sometimes, it moves over the left side as well. Needless to say, it sucks.

My advice is this:

Keep going to the chiropractor. It really will make a big difference in the long run.

Heat, Ice, and Timing are your best friends. I alternate an ice pack and electric heating pad (or one of those stick on things) several times a day. It has been my experience that I HAVE TO apply heat or ice before and/or after I've done any rigorous movement or have been sitting for a long period of time (before my chiropractic adjustment, before and especially after a workout, ice during long car rides, etc). Almost every night before going to sleep, I lay on an ice pack or heating pad whether I feel pain or not. I know my triggers and I know how my body reacts when I’m not proactive.

Speaking of triggers, reflect on your various positions/postures throughout your day. I realized during my own spasm hell that my sleeping style had changed. I have a rotation in my hip (part of my issue), and would hyper extend my left hip/leg across my body as that was what brought the most spasm relief. Unbeknownst to me, it was also feeding the problem. I changed the way I slept, and there was a significant difference. (I know you’re frustrated, but working out while you’re spasming is keeping your sciatica angry so to speak. Maybe try walking only one mile with heat and ice before/after, and build your way back up?)

Drink LOTS of water. The other things are potassium and occasionally magnesium powder. I’ll have a banana with breakfast or coconut water if I know I have strenuous workout coming up. I learned about the magnesium powder through my chiropractor. Magnesium balances your calcium levels. Not getting into the whole science of it, basically if you don't have enough magnesium, calcium deposits form, and promote muscle spasms. I use Natural Vitality Natural Calm Magnesium, Powder, Organic Raspberry-Lemon flavor. Magnesium can act as a laxative, so a little powder goes a long way – I would use less than the recommended dosage, and only once a day. If you take it at night, make sure you have time for a full night’s sleep. It’s pretty potent stuff.

The thing is I used to not be able to physically move. The chiropractor got to where she could barely do an adjustment. I now go to the chiropractor maybe once a month (not multiple times a day). I don’t use heat and ice nearly as much either because it isn’t necessary.

I have full faith that you will be able to work out with no pain :smile: