Post wisdom teeth diet

Options
Okay, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed on Friday. I am still experiencing some swelling and pain. I only have stitches in on one side and they are causing some issues. Solid foods are still out of the question because it hurts too much to chew. I need some recommendations on what I can eat. I want to keep eating healthy and ice cream isn't much help with that goal. Please give me some ideas before I ruin my whole diet! (:

Replies

• JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Jello!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Soup? Smoothies?
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    soup as lynn1982 said (home-made best as canned is often very high sodium), yogurt (I like fage greek plain with fruit spread added), oatmeal/farina/cooked rice cereal, scrambled eggs, "pudding" (custard, blanc mange, tapioca), refried beans, mashed potatoes, cooked "greens" (collard, spinach, etc), smoothies, tofu, squash, etc (think of things suitable for "infants" and there is probably an equivalent you can cook for yourself)
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out last Wednesday. I ate lots of tomato soup, mashed potatoes, and frozen yogurt.
  • peanut7butter
    Options
    START EATING SOLIDS! I can't stress this enough. Even a mushy mcdonalds cheeseburger. You need to work the muscles and get the jaws moving. I didn't eat solid foods soon enough and my jaw is still kind of sore 4 weeks later! liquid foods are a myth
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I ate lots of oatmeal and protein shakes blended with fruits and veggies
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    soup as lynn1982 said (home-made best as canned is often very high sodium), yogurt (I like fage greek plain with fruit spread added), oatmeal/farina/cooked rice cereal, scrambled eggs, "pudding" (custard, blanc mange, tapioca), refried beans, mashed potatoes, cooked "greens" (collard, spinach, etc), smoothies, tofu, squash, etc (think of things suitable for "infants" and there is probably an equivalent you can cook for yourself)

^^ What I was going to say.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump because i have toothache
  • hillleon
    hillleon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when i got all of mine removed 4... took a week to recover. The only thing i had were fruit and ice cream smoothies... (soup bothered me since it was hot)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Applesauce, cottage cheese, and yogurt might be good. I don't remember how I functioned after I had all four of mine pulled - it was back when I was 14, so maybe I bounced back a little easier.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

These sound good... sorry I have no info to contribute, just trying to save this cuz I know I'll need all of mine pulled when they come in too...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes with melted cheese were my go-to food after I had mine out. So many soft foods - ice creams, shakes, jello - are fruity and sweet, and I was craving salty and starchy. I also had an upset stomach from the anesthesia and pain meds, and starchy stayed down better.

Without an upset stomach, I'd probably make layered bean dip (refried beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc) and eat it with a spoon instead of chips.

Or make buffalo chicken dip... canned chicken (it's soft, or cook your own in a crock pot until it's falling apart), some cream cheese, and buffalo cause. Tuna mixed with Ranch dressing is pretty yummy, too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yogurt.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Got mine out when I was 18 and my diet for the next week subsisted of painkillers, antibiotics, anti-swelling medication, and something to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth. Couldn't hold anything down. Including the meds.

Get yourself a personal blender assembly. Highly useful little purchase that you'll have for years. Make yourself some beans or lentils and puree them into oblivion. Eat small vegetables like peas that you can crush with your tongue. Slow-cook your meat and shred it to ribbons. Make toast and soak it in soup. Smoothies. Yogurt. Protein shakes. Meal replacement shakes.

Also, try to exercise your jaw regularly.You can use your hands on the outside of your jaw for resistance.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Soup? Smoothies?

It you do smoothies, make sure they don't have seeds! Those can get stuck in your craters.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Whey for protein, olive oil/coconut oil for fat
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    START EATING SOLIDS! I can't stress this enough. Even a mushy mcdonalds cheeseburger. You need to work the muscles and get the jaws moving. I didn't eat solid foods soon enough and my jaw is still kind of sore 4 weeks later! liquid foods are a myth

When I had mine out, I remember being able to eat mushy food after a number of days (mashed potatoes, well cooked pasta, etc.) but for the first few days anything I consumed had to pass through a straw since my jaw was so swollen.
  • camiecole1
    Options
    Thank everyone so much! This has helped a lot!!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Be really careful with anything through a straw. The suction can cause your clots to dislodge, and increase dry socket. Dry socket really, really hurts, and I didn't have anything in a straw. I'd birth a 9lb+ baby again rather than go through the pain of dry socket.
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did yoghurt, jello, mousse and carrot/orange smoothies. Oh and also it was a rare time I didn't feel guilty having a cake batter smoothie from Cold Stone ;)

After about 3 days I started trying solids, and by day 5 my entire diet was solids again. That was with all 4 out and with 3 of them impacted! The surgeon did a good job thankfully. Also, being on oxycodine for 2 weeks helped too ;)