Help! Coworkers brought Bday treats for me!

Options
What to do??? I don't want to be rude and not eat anything they have made, but it will derail my 2 days in of no sugar!! I have felt so motivated and on track.....and this is such a quandry. Sigh. I'm already facing the, "oh, come on....one day won't kill you". I feel bad because they went to a lot of trouble and it is all very thoughtful. Suggestions?? Need more supportive friends as well, so feel free to add me!

Replies

• Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What did they bring? Are there different options, so you could choose the least of the evils?
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well guess what TODAY you are pre-diabetic and have to have a test in the morning. SO NO sugar for you.

Problem solved.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a bite or two and make up some reason for why you'll take the rest home to your family. Once you're gone, throw the offensive items in the trash! Don't tempt yourself further!
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well guess what TODAY you are pre-diabetic and have to have a test in the morning. SO NO sugar for you.

Problem solved.

Even better!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Why are you going "sugar free"? Are you just trying to break a habit or do you have a medical reason. If it's not medical, I say have a little, and start your days over again. It was really kind of them to think of you for your birthday, and your birthday only happens once a year. You can easily say "no thanks" the other times, but come on. It's your birthday! Eat a treat and then go on with your day.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would say give in and have just one or two, but you said you've been 2 days without sugar. If being without sugar is a goal for you, then I would thank them and tell them that you are going to save them for later (and let your family eat them so they don't go to waste). I've taken food before, pretended like I ate it and just threw it away just so I wouldn't hurt their feelings. Don't necessarily recommend wasting any food, but if that's what keeps you from falling off the wagon, then do it! :) If you have sugar just one day, I don't think any harm will come in that and you will be able to resume the no sugar regimen tomorrow, BUT if you feel it could derail you, I would respectfully pass.
  • JSkorna
    JSkorna Posts: 22
    Options
    Eat one piece and put the rest in the lunch room for everyone else to enjoy.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Bag it up to 'take home'. Then either toss it or give it to a family member/friend/neighbor who might enjoy it.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It IS just one day. Don't eat ALL the treats, but indulge in one or two.

You have to make choices that are sustainable for life, not just for right now, and treats and parties will happen.
  • amv1023
    amv1023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    eat one treat, tell everyone to enjoy some as well. And then let them know you will bring the rest home to give to your family or throw them away (not that I condone throwing away homemade goodies! lol)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How about you just have a bit and enjoy it? Also, no good reason to go off sugar. (assuming there is no medical reason)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It IS just one day. Don't eat ALL the treats, but indulge in one or two.

You have to make choices that are sustainable for life, not just for right now, and treats and parties will happen.

^This :)
  • membler
    membler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why is it so hard for people to say no to food? Why are other people's feelings more important than your own health or goals? Say thank you, but I'm not eating that. You don't need to explain yourself.
  • susandhess
    Options
    I had to deal with the same thing! I made a big deal of it, and told them how happy I was and made small talk while holding my cake and then when I went back to my office, I wrapped it in a paper towel and took it to the kitchen and threw it in the trash (didn't want to throw it in the can in my office because I didn't want to smell sugar all day!)
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    thank them profusely. take some to your desk for "later", take some home cause its hubby's fav, share with everybody. You can usually run around enthusiastically offering stuff so no one notices that you didn;t do more than nibble off the berries etc. good luck.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Stand firm they are trying to Sabotage you One of the Ladies I work with was doing the same thing brining in cupcakes and all kind of candy and dessert intot he office ( and she had biaratric surgery) I finally stepped up and asked her to please stop brining the junk in for all of us. I know I could have said no but when you are trying to change your way of life espically in the beginning its easy to say well one wont hurt me.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    For my birthday this year I think I want ot eat an entire cake to MYSELF! lol, but that is just me.

Anwyays, I know how you feel. People are way too forceful when it comes to food... I know its all in good intentions but why does food have to be such a prioroty for celebrations, or any type of social event for that matter?

I would say just have a couple bites of something that really fancies your tastebuds, and then take the rest to go, or say you will eat it later in your office and secretly pitch it (or save it for someone else?).
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Bag it up to 'take home'. Then either toss it or give it to a family member/friend/neighbor who might enjoy it.

^^^This. It was very nice of them to do that for you, and you can share the nice thing they've done with your friends and family.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank them profusely. take some to your desk for "later", take some home cause its hubby's fav, share with everybody. You can usually run around enthusiastically offering stuff so no one notices that you didn;t do more than nibble off the berries etc. good luck.
    This is so true. I think most people make and buy things for themselves not the recipient! I've had people complain that I don't take them doughnuts on my birthday or bring sweets back from my holidays. At Christmas I'd never seen so many mince pies on one table. When I was made a birthday cake I took everybody round a slice who wanted one and didn't eat any of it. Helped by the fact that it was coffee flavoured and I get migraines from coffee but appreciated the thought. You are in control of what goes in your mouth but if you are a people pleaser and don't want to upset people then let them eat cake.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is not a crisis. It's your birthday, and your coworker made you a treat.

Have one, absent a medical reason that you cannot. Log it.

I remember creating a "crisis" in my head on my first birthday after joining MFP. Down 60 pounds and confronted with my favorite cake, I wanted to say no thanks, or hide a piece at my desk and throw it away later. But that's what crazy people do, not what healthy people do. Healthy people have a treat on their birthday. I chose to be healthy rather than crazy and enjoyed one slice of cake. The cake did not derail my progress; I reached my goal well ahead of schedule. But the cake did remind me of the life I want to lead, one where I make choices on what I eat based on all kinds of factors. I say no to supermarket cake, I often say no on other people's birthdays, but on my own birthday?

CAKE.

Happy birthday :)