My 2yr Journey on MFP ~ 40lbs and plenty of pics!

Options
Jenn152
Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
Today marks my 2nd anniversary (730 days if you are a days logged in kind of person like myself) on MFP. Tomorrow is my 30th birthday and I couldn't be happier. I started this journey because I simply wanted to drop some weight. I have always been confident in myself, at any size, and just wanted to challenge myself to see what I could do for my health and my body. I am not a fitness model, and I am not trying to be 15% body fat (but if you are, that's awesome and go get em tiger!). I just wanted to be healthy for myself. My father had his first heart attack at 36, when I was 3. My entire life was spent in and out of hospitals with him (he had 6 heart attacks altogether). He died from cardiovascular disease (final straw was cardio myopothy) when I was 22 years old. I didn't want that to be me.

I went on a vacation with my girlfriends in 2011, which we do every year, and looking at the pictures when I got home, I was not impressed. I was 245ish pounds:

2hxac5l.jpgotjjiw.jpg

So I decided to lose some weight. I stumbled upon MFP and got started. I have been an athlete my entire life. I am 5'11 and played basketball, volleyball, and softball all through school and dabbled a bit in college. So being in the gym and training was nothing new to me. So, I buckled down and started to drop the weight. It came off pretty easily, I will admit because I am uber focused when I set my mind to something and I bought a used treadmill, walked a lot, then started doing intervals, then I did the 30DS with Jillian and got hooked on her DVDs, then I decided I would do a 5K! This is me and my bestie on Mother's Day 2012 downtown Chicago:

2w1va6h.jpg

I was doing Ripped in 30 and Running (I hate running, I am not one of those people who just loves it and wants to do it all the time). So I was running intervals mostly. I had lost roughly 40 pounds. Here is a pic of the Girls Weekend in 2012:

r932ah.jpg

I had a pretty serious amount of stress in my life in the fall of last year, but I stayed as diligent as I could considering the circumstances and managed to maintain for the most part. I admit I gained back 10-15 pounds over the holidays. But come January of 2013, I was back with a vengeance! I changed my ticker to reflect the weight gain, and dropped all that like a bad habit (which is exactly what it was)!!

I went to see my bestie (who had moved to Honolulu, Hawaii - rough life, I know) in May of this year and was back to where I was prior to my craziness of 2012. Here I am on the Northshore & us at the trail head to the Maunawili Falls (which I am proud to say I jumped off of!):

2j2t2py.jpg2k1n4w.jpg

Today I am so proud of what I have been able to accomplish and maintain through a really rough time. I still want to lose another 10-15 pounds, and I will. But it isn't about how fast I do it, it's the fact that I know that I will do it. You can do this, if you just keep trying. You will have ups and downs. You will eat things you think you "shouldn't" but its okay. Ask any of my friends on here, I eat Sour Patch Kids religiously! (like seriously, every week I eat a bag lol). I have weekends where I enjoy life and drink beer and eat BBQ and I live my life. Because at the end of the day, that's what I am doing this for, so that I CAN LIVE my life :O)

This one is the last one, and I will be done with this post. This was at a wedding last weekend of my best friend of over 20 years. I was so happy and proud to be a big part of her big day, but more importantly I am proud of myself. Tomorrow I turn 30, and I am excited about the next chapter in my life! So I say this to all of you: Be proud of yourselves and happy where you are right now, you just never know when it might be the end!~

eu34nn.jpg

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yay! I am so proud of you! And honored to call you a friend! LOVE this post!:smile:
  • RockinMama_GA
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Here's to being in great shape at 30! (5 months til mine!)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No matter what size you are- you're such a beauty full of life and happiness!

You are such an amazing inspiration! So glad I can call you my friend!!!
  • MiKiTzLi
    MiKiTzLi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great pics!! Thanks for saying it's OK to have ups and downs! :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic and I'm so glad to know you through MFP! You're so positive and upbeat, the world needs more of that :)
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I'm so proud of you!!!! You look amazing and you are SO AMAZING!!! I'm so happy to call you my friend. Keep up the awesome work and All Hail the Queen of Logging. : )
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Today I am so proud of what I have been able to accomplish and maintain through a really rough time. I still want to lose another 10-15 pounds, and I will. But it isn't about how fast I do it, it's the fact that I know that I will do it. You can do this, if you just keep trying. You will have ups and downs. You will eat things you think you "shouldn't" but its okay. Ask any of my friends on here, I eat Sour Patch Kids religiously! (like seriously, every week I eat a bag lol). I have weekends where I enjoy life and drink beer and eat BBQ and I live my life. Because at the end of the day, that's what I am doing this for, so that I CAN LIVE my life :O)

I have to quote this because it's the truth. I'm SO glad to know you, because you always inspire me to be happy. You're just awesome.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You really are amazing and a true inspriation in my life. Rock on.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I needed to read a story like yours today. When the scale doesn't budge or goes up a pound or two it is hard for me to convince myself that I don't need to have a deadline and that not everyone loses 100lbs in a year, so seeing someone taking it gradually and being perfectly happy is definitely helpful. Congrats on what you have done!
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You look great!!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. You look great! :drinker:
  • june_olicia
    june_olicia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely fabulous!! Congratulations and keep it up!!!!
  • skinnybjasse
    skinnybjasse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats and happy 30th!!! Nothing but fabulous good lookin' years ahead of ya!
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    WOW!!

Congrats!!

Thanks for inspiring us and continued success on your journey :)
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    YAY! you rock, madam. congrats on two years :) happy to be doing this alongside you. and once we are goal-weight-ish, girl's weekend with Ms. ShannonMpls and us? :):):)
  • jcs0530
    jcs0530 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story and a great success. Thanks for sharing.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Jenn - You are an awesome inspiration. Your whole attitude just simply rocks!! I'm so lucky to have you as a friend!!
  • TheCrazyCatGirl
    Options
    Wow! Amazing!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great story! Your attitude is awesome (and you look great too!) Thanks for posting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!