Excessive sweating... anyone?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with excessive or constant sweating? I don't just mean when exercising, but all the time. I need to have a fan on me at all times. Even with the AC set at 72°, I will break a sweat unloading the dishwasher, or cooking dinner, or doing laundry. The other day I dusted the dining table and coffee table, and by the time I got to the TV stand I couldn't clean it because I was dripping sweat on it faster than I could wipe it off. It's mostly my forehead and down the back of my neck. My hair gets wet.

I know this sounds gross, but I've searched online repeatedly and can find nothing. Even after taking a cool shower, I'm sweating before I'm completely dried off.

I do take meds for high blood pressure & cholesterol, but sweating is not one of their side effects. I've been living with this for a few years now, and I don't know if it's just the extra weight or some sort of medical condition. I feel like I'm in a sauna all most of the time.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

Replies

• dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you have asthma or COPD? Sweating is the bodies natural way of getting rid of carbon dioxide when you can't breathe well enough. Possibly extra weight could be causing it too, your body has to work harder to carry it around. Stress will cause excessive sweating also, just a few suggestions from the common folk.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    hyperhidrosis maybe?

Drysol is a great product. Can be used on the hands and feet for sure, (at night) not sure where else.

Prescription strength antiperspirant at night then use a good antiperspirant during the day.

Botulism shots help some people.

There is a radio-frequency type therapy as well.

Wearing natural fibers is always good. A dry-weave underwear, t-shirt and socks could be helpful as well as changing socks out during the day.

Don't eat spicy foods, drink lots of ice water, etc.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have hyperhidrosis under my arms. "Clinical strength" antiperspirants from the drug store didn't help. My Doctor prescribed me 20% aluminum chloride hexahydrate I apply at night (3 nights in a row at first, then once a week). Seems to have stopped the sweating for me! I'm not sure if it'd work for your area, but I'd definitely recommend talking to your Doctor about it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Remember that sweat is needed.

I can lose two quarts+ of sweat during a 45 minute spin class. I've been curious about this and have tracked it by weight. It's quite impressive. So yeah, I sweat excessively, walking along a sidewalk on an 80F day I can soak a shirt as well.

Only thing I've really seen for it is botulism shots.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Of course sweat is needed, but excessive sweating isn't about getting a bit damp while walking outside when it's hot. I'd have a shower, put on antiperspirant and a fresh shirt and have soaked armpits 10 mins later. Doing nothing except sit in an air-conditioned room.
  • moosh13451
    Options
    Robinul (glycopyrrolate) in pill form. Also Secure Wipes helps a lot - check http://www.pharmacy.ca.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    No problem with it now, having lost a small person from my frame, but I have had this issue in the past, just as you described!

Sage tea helps. It is not a cure, but it can give some relief. I used to drink 2-5 cups a day. I don't know that sage tea will adversely affect or exacerbate other conditions, but talk to your doctor to make certain before you try it.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I have that issue, I find that I change my underwear maybe 2-3 times a day. I noticed it when the weight starting creeping up on me. I haven't gone to a doctor as yet, trying to get my weight down to a reasonable number and see if that helps. Also, I notice it hasn't been nearly as bad since I cut alcohol out of my diet, still not great but a bit better.
  • Cowgirllisaj
    Options
    Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating. It is usually 4 to 5 times the amount of sweating that is needed to regulate body temp or as a response to stress. If you are sweating profusely you are at risk for dehydration. The way you describe your sweating sounds like you have what is called 'secondary hyperhidrosis'. That means your sweating is being caused by an underlying condition OR by medications you are taking. The non-profit International Hyperhidrosis Society does a ton of good work in this area and has a complete discussion of it on their site. They list medications that cause excessive sweating and they also have medical conditions for which sweating is a key symptom (ie warning sign) like cancer and TB. Check them out at www.SweatHelp.org.