Medifast program?

Options
Recently started on Medifast and wondered how others are doing following it on here? Success stories? Failures?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You'll find the general consensus is that as a diet program, it will not work long-term. You will have a more difficult time learning how to make healthy and sustainable food choices. It is also expensive. Some members do use it as a "meal on the go" when they are rushed, but it is not an everday thing.

If there are nutrients in the shakes you will be able to find recipes to make protein shakes and whatnot for much cheaper. Someone else more knowledgeable on that will be able to give you that info shortly.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yep, quick fix. Not sustainable unless you have the money to throw at it and the company doesn't go bankrupt. Real food will always be around when you're ready for it.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My friend did the program and lost 100 pounds. She is doing great because she is continuing to exercise and learned portion size and how to structure meals through the need for the "Lean Green" meal I think it's called. I think the main thing is that if you choose to do the program, to stay on it for a certain amount of time and then make a plan for what to do once you decide to end the program. Also, my biggest concern is that the products are all soy-based. This can be a problem for people with certain health conditions (epilepsy, etc) because it can lower the threshold for seizures.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know one person who did it - lost a ton of weight. Recently saw a photo of her - she's gained it all back less than 2 years later.
  • gr8bigcfan
    gr8bigcfan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people who haven't done Medifast would feel compelled to reply to you, since you are asking for input from other people on the plan. Folks, if you don't like Medifast, don't do it. Most of the information posted on MFP about MF is often incorrect ( Examples: 800 calories a day, a starvation diet, forced to have two shakes a day, forced to have a coach, blah blah, blah).

I am finding My Fitness Pal to be very key to my success with Medifast, and is also getting me in the habit of tracking my meals.

I am in my second month of Medifast. I lost 10 pounds my first month, and I have lost 5 so far this month. I have slower loss than many people on the plan. This is because I find I balance out at about 1400 calories a day when I add in the little things (creamer in my coffee, a piece of Laughing Cow Cheese, and boiled egg if I'm hungry, or a 6th meal on super long days).

Here are some things to know about my experience on Medifast:
    1/ I buy my food on Amazon, and sometimes on Craigslist. I prefer this because the Medifast shipments from the official site tend to take about 12 days unless you expedite shipping. Their shipments come from the east coast, and I am in California. I can't plan that far in advance. I get my shipments from some dealer on Amazon called Realize Health Today. I usually get my food in 6 days, with reasonable shipping costs.
    2/ I don't know anything at all about the Medifast centers or Take Shape for Life coaches. There are centers less than 40 miles from me. I'm sure the support is great, I'm not knocking it. But I think the food is expensive enough without paying someone to weigh me. I buy the food from Amazon, I troll the internet for inspiration and food reviews, I'm good to go.
    3/ None of my hair has fallen out. I have not had terrible gas. I didn't have bad headaches. I am not starving.
    4/ Medifast is a bit unforgiving about going off plan. I had a long weekend in Seattle recently and was not strict to the plan. I strayed from the plan by having some beers. I didn't gain weight, but it took me 3 days to start losing again. Like any diet you are following, if you have more calories/empty calories you probably aren't going to see the needle move. Especially if it's low carb.
    5/ Medifast is expensive, and the food is not gourmet. But here is what I'll say about that: previously I was hitting Starbucks everyday for a non-fat latte and buying one of their "bistro" boxes. That was about 8 dollars a day. So, the $14 a day for my MF and my "Lean and Green" meal are not making me poor.
    6/ I eat "real food" on Medifast. Every day. If you don't weigh your vegetables and protein, you can easily overeat. That's where MFPal comes in handy for me.
    7/ Some of the recipes people post as MF approved will easily throw you off the plan. As much as people want it to be true, peanut butter in any great quantity is not allowed on MF.

I have done WW meetings, and that did not work for me. I don't want to spend an hour on Saturday listening to someone talk about how they were "bad" and "cheated". I spent all of my time in my kitchen obsessing about food. Being on Weight Watchers felt like a full time job for me. Not knocking it for you...... It was just too slow, too time consuming, and too depressing for me. If you are having success on WW, good on ya. Congratulations. Keep it Up.

With over 80 pounds to lose, I need some help. Medifast has been great for me so far.

For people not involved in Medifast, please stop bashing it. I am sick to death of hearing your "My neighbor gained back every single pound she lost" stories. I am sure there are people who lost 100 pounds using My Fitness Pal, and then stopped using it, went back to going to Jack-In-The-Box everyday, and now gained it all back. You know why you don't hear from them? They aren't posting here anymore.

To the original poster: Good luck. Get a Hamilton Beach $14 blender at Target. It makes all the difference in the world in preparing the Soft Serve Ice Creams.
  • ShelleyWatters
    ShelleyWatters Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just throwing my two cents in here, but it seems like people on the MFP forums are very anti- any sort of diet plan. They are big on healthy eating/exercise. Which is fine, but they don't understand that as a severely overweight/obese person, sometimes dramatic changes are necessary to "reboot" their thinking/behavior. That's what I needed.

I started Medifast in March severely obese, diabetic, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Two weeks into the program, I was off all of my medications and all of my levels are NORMAL.

Since March, I've lost 73 lbs on the program. I understand that in order to keep the weight off, you must make changes to your LIFESTYLE, not just a quick fix. I would recommend that if you really do want to go on Medifast, head over to the community forums on the Medifast website. You'll find lots of people who are SUPER supportive, who have done Medifast (and kept it off for YEARS).

It doesn't work for everyone. You do have to be disciplined and commit to the program 100%. I ordered directly from the Medifast website at first. No centers. No coaches.

And no, you do not have to use Medifast forever. There is a transition period, where you wean yourself off the Medifast food and gradually increase your calories before hitting maintenance. Maintenance is 100% non-medifast food. Some people chose to use some of it (because it's really easy to just grab a bar/etc). I plan on not using the food once I hit maintenance.

Anyway, if you want to get true comments from actual Medifast users, go over to the community boards. There are coaches on there, but a lot of people who DON'T have anything to gain but the commaraderie and friendship of sharing one's weight loss journey with people in similar situations.

As far as the calorie count, your daily intake is 5 medifast meals spread every 2-3 hours, plus one lean and green meal, for your entire day, you're eating a target of 800-1000 calories, with a carb target of 80-85.

Hope this helps!

(I am NOT being paid by Medifast in ANY WAY to promote it. I'm just telling you what's worked for me. I wish I'd found Medifast years ago, as I've tried Weight Watchers (lost 30, gained back) Atkins (same) and just lowering my calories and exercising (using MyFitnesspal) This plan has worked for me, and I'm so grateful that my doctor suggested it to me. It saved my life!)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I started Medifast in March of this year. I can tell you what I liked about it and the problems I had.

1) Medifast was very helpful in helping me get rid of my cravings for everything/anything 'carby'

2) Medifast taught me proper portion control

3) The website has MANY members that have been very successful and are very supportive, just like here

4) Medifast is very convenient. There is a large selection of products to choose from, if you don't like something, don't eat it, simple

5) You prepare a Lean and Green meal daily. It is a high protein meal, that teaches you portion control, limiting of types/amounts of vegetables, fats, seasonings

6) For most people, if you stick to the plan, it works!!

Now, I'll tell you my story. I got approved by my MD to try Medifast and went on it for a month. I only lost about 5 pounds the first 3 weeks. I started having loads of stomach issues, and intense pain. Turns out I am intolerant of the amount of soy in th products. So, I have been doing my own version of Medifast, The Princess Plan. I am still eating between 800 and 900 calories a day, remember, doctor approved. Low fat, carbs 90% of the time between 80 - 100 daily, not as much protein as on Medifast, more vegies, basically unlimited green leafy vegies and even larger portions of squash, cauliflowe, zuchinni, if I want it.

The result...I have now lost 47 pounds all told.

I loved Medifast and admire Dr. A, who has a sound approach to a healthy lifestyle. This isn't a fad diet, it is a way for obese individuals to actually lose weight. It is not a starvation mode model, as protein levels are high. It works for many, many individuals as does MFP, WW, Atkins etc. It just depends upon whether you are in it for the long haul, or a 'temporary fix'.

As for coaches, they are not required, but many people find them helpful. You can have a coach, even if you do not purchase product through a center. They are on the website and willing to help members there.\\
    great plan, if you are faithful to it.

As for gaining the weight back. If you transition, as you must do with any method you use to lose weight, you will prepare your body to maintain your weight loss and healthy lifestyle. If you do not, it will not be different than any other 'weight loss plan'.

Good luck to you OP, as it is a rewarding journey!!