What would happen to a heavy lifter who did not eat enough?

Options
Just wondering, TOTALLY out of curiosity:

What would happen to an individual who lifted fairly heavy but ate a 1200-1500 calorie diet. Would they even build muscle? Or would the fact that they are at such a deficit deplete all of their lean muscle mass?

I am totally curious. I know some of my friends who lift fairly heavy but barely eat a damn thing!

I know that most people who lift heavy have to eat a ton of food to build and keep that precious muscle!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not only would you not gain muscle, you would lose muscle. Once you get past your beginner gains, your body will build muscle on a caloric surplus, and lose muscle on a caloric deficit, end of story. It is also important how much protein you are eating, as it helps to build muscle on a bulk, and preserve not all, but most of your muscle on a cut, if you're eating enough.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Eventually strength gains will stall. Fat will be lost primarily, but lean tissue loss will happen as well as the calorie deficit continues.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    really good question. I wonder alot if I am eating enough. I am always hungry. but scared to go over 1500 a day.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If they have a lot of body fat to go, they will continue to lose that, and gain strength (but not a lot of muscle) until strength gains from neuromuscular adaptation stall (these gains can be quite significant!).

If they don't have a lot of body fat, they should be eating near or at maintenance to avoid muscle loss!
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    overtraining resulting in muscle loss
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    They will see a plateau in their lifts and strength stall eventually... HOWEVER the body will compensate itself by taking calories it needs from under worked muscle groups.. you may think you are working most muscles in your body but you aren't..