Calories/exercising

Options
When I exercise at the gym the machines report calories used. When I plug in the exercises into MFP, the calories used are different and much higher. I'm pretty sure that I'm accurately recording the right exercises. Any ideas?

Replies

• Lori0463
    Lori0463 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the calories from the machines. I find MFP values for exercise to be high and food calories to be too low
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Both inacurate.

Get a heart rate monitor...not 100% accurate but close enough.
  • irishskills01
    irishskills01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Agree with Krissy. I used the machines value until I got the heart rate monitor. I found that my machine value was a little lower than the HRM, but much closer then the values given in MFP.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Both inacurate.

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

I always use the lower if I do not have my HRM, to ensure I am not iverestimating.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Without an HRM, use the machine's values. MFP has always been high. I would rather estimate low than high any day!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Both inacurate.

This. Everything is pretty much going to be inaccurate, but if I had to choose, I'd choose my HRM over both MFP or the machine.
  • barb16lee
    barb16lee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Is there a particular brand I should be looking at and how much would you say I should spend. Is expensive better or can you get a good one for less money?
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM. It was $112...they usually run in that price range. I have had it for 4 years now and did not have 1 problem. Which ever brand you get, make sure you get one with the chest strap.
  • barb16lee
    barb16lee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly, but does it go over or under your clothing?:laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly, but does it go over or under your clothing?:laugh:

Under....there are a couple of electrodes in the strap that have to contact your skin to get a reading..